U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:42 PM

158 posts, read 350,191 times

Advertisements

I am a fan of SK's work, but I haven't read this series. We saw the movie last night and enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 11:33 AM

899 posts, read 839,223 times
I loved the series. I was very worried that it would not be done well, and that seems what is happening. I will see anyway since I am such a fan of books. Sucks that they will not probably proceed with TV series and other movie if this bombs.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:24 PM

6,499 posts, read 5,345,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
I loved the series. I was very worried that it would not be done well, and that seems what is happening. I will see anyway since I am such a fan of books. Sucks that they will not probably proceed with TV series and other movie if this bombs.
One reviewer said the film felt too short and that it felt like the film should be the "pilot" for a TV series.

These guys are pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAqVAmh0o0

Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 AM

1,311 posts, read 584,586 times
Yes! With Matthew mcconaughey I'm definitely looking forward to it

Old 08-06-2017, 01:40 PM

550 posts, read 448,365 times
I could tell the movie sucks just by the rating. PG-13? The books are most definitely not PG-13.

Love the books, but I imagine this film is just your usual schlock: cheesy dialogue, lame "monsters", overly-dramatic orchestral music punctuated only by mindless noise, explosions, and yawn-inducing "action" scenes.

It's little wonder the movie is getting terrible reviews. 18% on Rotten Tomatoes. LOL. I think I'll pass on this one.

Honestly, the ONLY writer/director that would have made an amazing Dark Tower film adaptation is Quentin Tarantino. He would have captured the otherworldly and perverse world of DK splendidly. Just read "The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three"...it's like a Tarantino script with it's fast pacing, non-linear storytelling, and downright depravity. It's freaking awesome.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:46 PM

37,092 posts, read 34,051,209 times
I'll watch anything Idris Elba is in. Love that guy. Great actor. Really has a presence. Matthew McConaughy is alright too. LOL.

I'm not familiar with this movie/story, I was flipping around the TV and saw those two doing a promo for the film, looks pretty good.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM

3,623 posts, read 1,278,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'll watch anything Idris Elba is in. Love that guy. Great actor. Really has a presence. Matthew McConaughy is alright too. LOL.
Okay, I saw the movie. If you read the books (even one of them), you won't like the movie. Apparently, key moments from various books were drawn on to "assemble" the film's narrative. Make of that what you will. It is not an adaptation of the first book in the series, which they should have done. A 93-minute movie is not the way to go when you have this much content at your disposal. Its budgetary limitations don't stick out too badly, though. But the movie should have been rated R. As we can see, it's PG-13 rating isn't helping one iota at the box office.

(Actually, The Dark Tower should have been adapted for cable, like A Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones. That would be the best format.)

That said, Elba and McConaughey make it worth your while. IE is one of today's best actors — watched Luther? — and MM chews the scenery as a great bad guy who is straight-up evil. They actually have a pretty cool showdown, but it should have had a different outcome.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 645,674 times
Just saw it as someone who hasn't read the books I quite enjoyed it. It felt a bit short and I was very interested in many of the concepts presented in the film that weren't very fleshed out. If anything I want to read the series now so thats a win in my book.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 AM

3,623 posts, read 1,278,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Just saw it as someone who hasn't read the books I quite enjoyed it. It felt a bit short and I was very interested in many of the concepts presented in the film that weren't very fleshed out. If anything I want to read the series now so thats a win in my book.
Hear, hear!

Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM

15,018 posts, read 7,488,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
One reviewer said the film felt too short and that it felt like the film should be the "pilot" for a TV series.

These guys are pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAqVAmh0o0
Double-Toasted is one of my top three review channels on YouTube. They're profane as heck, but very funny and actually have a decent knowledge of film making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies