U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:27 AM

15,018 posts, read 7,480,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Okay, I saw the movie. If you read the books (even one of them), you won't like the movie. Apparently, key moments from various books were drawn on to "assemble" the film's narrative. Make of that what you will. It is not an adaptation of the first book in the series, which they should have done. A 93-minute movie is not the way to go when you have this much content at your disposal. Its budgetary limitations don't stick out too badly, though. But the movie should have been rated R. As we can see, it's PG-13 rating isn't helping one iota at the box office.

(Actually, The Dark Tower should have been adapted for cable, like A Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones. That would be the best format.)

That said, Elba and McConaughey make it worth your while. IE is one of today's best actors watched Luther? and MM chews the scenery as a great bad guy who is straight-up evil. They actually have a pretty cool showdown, but it should have had a different outcome.
I pretty much agree with this.

The characters are flat characters, but as such movies go, they're alright.

The kid does a pretty good job, too.

There were some moments when the Gunslinger is first in our world that seem like we just saw them somewhere before (umm...Wonder Woman?), but otherwise it's pretty good.

And be sure not to notice that the kid ages visibly during the movie because of the extended shooting schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM

899 posts, read 838,792 times
Finally saw it. I love the books. As a movie away from the books. Actually thought it was good. My daughter never read the books and liked it.
I think it should never been done as a movie. Multi season show on HBO. Easily could have pulled it off.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 644,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
Finally saw it. I love the books. As a movie away from the books. Actually thought it was good. My daughter never read the books and liked it.
I think it should never been done as a movie. Multi season show on HBO. Easily could have pulled it off.
Yea a tv series would have been fantastic.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 PM

1,610 posts, read 653,215 times
Didn't like it. I liked the kid. The movie didn't do it for me. Didn't read the books either.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Didn't like it. I liked the kid. The movie didn't do it for me. Didn't read the books either.
Clearly you're are a big enough Idris and Matthew fan. My wife, being a fan of both, thought the move was great. So did her best friend.

It was meh to me. Not nearly as bad as Valerian, though.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM

16,542 posts, read 8,458,321 times
16% on Rotten Tomatoes ouch! I've heard it's terrible. Stephen King is so obsessed with his hatred of Donald Trump he isn't paying attention to how they are butchering his fiction in these movies.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
16% on Rotten Tomatoes ouch! I've heard it's terrible. Stephen King is so obsessed with his hatred of Donald Trump he isn't paying attention to how they are butchering his fiction in these movies.
They were butchering his fiction in movies long before Trump was arrested. Heck, he butchered his fiction himself when he directed one movie.

So "Dark Tower" isn't about Trump. Lots of threads aren't about Trump. This one isn't, either.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 AM

16,542 posts, read 8,458,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They were butchering his fiction in movies long before Trump was arrested. Heck, he butchered his fiction himself when he directed one movie.

So "Dark Tower" isn't about Trump. Lots of threads aren't about Trump. This one isn't, either.
Follow King on Twitter and then decide for yourself. Wow, he's lost his mind since Nov '16

He used to be really funny and would give good book recommendations. Now it's all Trump.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,276,734 times
Quote:
He doesn't care. He's said numerous times over the years that his concern for how they adapt his stuff ends where the studio cuts him a check. All he's said regarding The Dark Tower is that the sequel should be R-rated.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Follow King on Twitter and then decide for yourself. Wow, he's lost his mind since Nov '16

He used to be really funny and would give good book recommendations. Now it's all Trump.

Got nothing to do with this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies