U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:59 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,093,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I'd have to give it to 'Heat'. First time I've seen an audience give a scene a standing ovation (the shootout with the LAPD).
Damn: stole my thunder, that was my vote too! I lived in SF at the time. Bet those who lived in Santa Monica and close to downtown LA were pretty freaked.

How Micheal Mann filmed that whole scene to this day astounds me, a great example of how to do it right w/o CGI. Christopher Nolan tries not to use CGI when he doesn't have to either, I'm reading.

The thunder of half a dozen Colt and FN assault rifles on full and semi-auto through Dolby Surround was something I'll never forget, throughout that scene. Lifted from the Internet:

"Trivia: Allegedly, footage of Shiherlis (NOTE: played by Val Kilmer) expertly reloading his rifle during the bank robbery shootout has been shown to American Special Forces trainees, with the message from their instructor, "This is how I want you to reload."

I've worked enough scenarios with M4s and my own FN (FS2000), in training, to realize the attention to detail Mann put into the small arms work was truly exceptional. He did the same with Tom Cruise during filming of "Collateral", as well. Lot of work, lot of live fire exercises, lot of repetition: thousands of rounds, weeks and weeks. That kind of stress is incredibly challenging, I know from first hand experience, though once you're comfortable with the smoke and thunder you can concentrate on what matters most.

Close second in terms of extended scenes from that film was the helicopter work over downtown LA, at night, with Al Pacino in one of the units then landing and catching up via car with De Niro's character on (I think) the 210 freeway. The subsequent "coffee shop" dialog between the two is legendary as well.

(Former Kate Mantilini restaurant, Beverly Hills CA): "The Table was where Al Pacino and Robert De Niro sat opposite one another in early 1995 to shoot the first of their two scenes together in Heat, the latest film from Michael Mann. It was a showdown cinemagoers had been anticipating since at least 1974, when The Godfather: Part II had marked out both actors as heirs to, and perhaps even reincarnations of, Marlon Brando."

PS:

I recall audiences clapping at the end of Heat, Braveheart, and Forrest Gump in the 1990s.

Interestingly, a strong ovation at the end of "Dunkirk" here just the other day, too. I'll have to see that one again, it didn't strike me that strongly first time through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- roar, Tigers, ROAR" (set 21 days ago)

9,549 posts, read 5,411,277 times
My vote would go to Chinatown, with The Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia as runners-up.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM

8,215 posts, read 3,991,676 times
Tough call...going to go with either Braveheart or Terminator 2. Saw them both at the historic UPTOWN theater in D.C., like an IMAX but more widescreen.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Status: "'It's calender time. Calender time for Buddy.'" (set 29 days ago)

1,270 posts, read 510,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Tough call...going to go with either Braveheart or Terminator 2. Saw them both at the historic UPTOWN theater in D.C., like an IMAX but more widescreen.
T2 blew me away the first time I saw it, and it's the only film of its kind that still makes me wipe my eye at the ending. A truly spectacular film, from beginning to end.

I think out of all the films I've seen in my lifetime the scene where the liquid metal Terminator breaks apart ashe tries to walk through the pool of liquid nitrogen is one of if not the greatest special effect I've ever witnessed.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:01 AM

991 posts, read 285,111 times
For me it was The Matrix Reloaded. The fight/action scenes were mesmerizing to me. And honorable mention goes to The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger was a genius Joker. Oh, and the first Friday movie left me gasping for air for laughing so hard....Chris Tucker used to be so funny before he got all high and mighty and stopped doing movies....

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM

4,468 posts, read 1,049,085 times
Sound can be important to a great film. This can help weight toward more recent choices. Also, since 'watched in a movie theater' is part of the thread title...unless at a revival or 'art house' viewing...the poster's age is going to come into play.

IMO, the three best theatrical releases since 1990 have been (in no particular order) The Shawshank Redemption, The Pianist, and Schindler's List.

I've seen all three but, IIRC, I never saw The Shawshank Redemption in a theater.

Pre 1990?

Perhaps...The Godfather (1972)

Old 08-26-2017, 01:39 PM

1,062 posts, read 965,487 times
Dr. Zhivago. I saw it seven times in the theater.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,131,293 times
Inception. First time in an iMax theater for me so that helped.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:17 AM

194 posts, read 54,529 times
Youth was a good one. A movie released in the US in 2015.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:53 AM

3,390 posts, read 1,515,164 times
2010. Tron: Legacy at the Warren IMAX in Wichita. It was a brand new theatre, second day being open. It was my first 3D movie experience and the perfect movie for it.

After everyone was seated the owner of Warren Theatres spoke a few minutes. They showed a clip of an old Soviet rocket launch using an old projector lens and then they showed the same clip with their new state of the art IMAX lens. It was an incredible difference. Tron: Legacy is not the greatest movie, probably not in my top 20. But they made excellent use of 3D, in fact, I haven't seen a 3D movie since then that was good.

It was just an excellent experience, Warren Theatres are some of the best theatres out there. I moved away from Wichita that year and now my only choices are Hollywood which absolutely sucks or AMC, which is just okay. Warren Theatres have done a great job keeping the soul of the movie going experience and just have an excellent atmosphere.

I doubt Tron: Legacy will ever be replaced as my #1 movie theatre experience. It's a great memory of me and some friends, the last time we all really hung out together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies