Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:58 AM

22,909 posts, read 28,237,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I didn't see that coming. I thought you hated anything/everything Frank Miller did for Batman.
Not at all! B:Y1 may be the best comic book of all time. The Dark Knight Returns is great, too, albeit in a sort of "alternative universe" fashion. All of Miller's Batman work after that ... ? Yeah, I pretty much hated all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,872,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Stranger things have happened. But I don't see any of their second tier characters (Doctor Strange, Ant Man, Black Panther) filling the shoes of Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk.
The Disney machine will push them. Remember when they used Stitch for a lot merchandise because that Disney Animated film was the most successful since I think Hercules/Mulan and was the most merchandise-able since i think Lion King.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The Disney machine will push them.
They will. But no matter how much you polish a lump of coal, it ain't gonna be a diamond. I was pretty underwhelmed by DOCTOR STRANGE. ANT MAN was fun, but I don't see him being a leading character for a film franchise. Jury is still out on BLACK PANTHER.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,610,486 times
Quote:
Not at all! B:Y1 may be the best comic book of all time. The Dark Knight Returns is great, too, albeit in a sort of "alternative universe" fashion. All of Miller's Batman work after that ... ? Yeah, I pretty much hated all of that.
The Dark Knight Strikes Again (2001) was awful. Too out there, and the art was too experimental.

However, the new one, The Dark Knight III: The Master Race (2015-2017) is very good.

As much as I love Year One, calling it "the best comic book of all time" is kind of nuts. There are too many awesome stories on that level (and greater) to assign that kind of acclaim to any single storyline. I wouldn't even call it the greatest reboot of all time. The biggest candidate (in my book) is Alan Moore's take on Swamp Thing. That was simply incredible.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The Dark Knight Strikes Again (2001) was awful. Too out there, and the art was too experimental.
Agreed.

Quote:
However, the new one, The Dark Knight III: The Master Race (2015-2017) is very good.
Haven't read it.

Quote:
As much as I love Year One, calling it "the best comic book of all time" is kind of nuts.
I speak only for myself. No one else. In that arena, B:Y1 is the greatest comic of all time.

Quote:
The biggest candidate (in my book) is Alan Moore's take on Swamp Thing. That was simply incredible.
Haven't read it. I have read enough of Alan Moore's other stuff that I did not like that I have kind of avoided that. I liked V for Vendetta. Hated WATCHMEN. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was okay. Kinda pretentious and boring at times, but not horrible. Batman: The Killing Joke was good, if over-rated.

People keep telling me that Alan Moore is the greatest comic book writer of all time. But these tend to be the same people that think Pink Floyd is the greatest band of all time. Drugs will do that kind of stuff to your brain after a while.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I speak only for myself. No one else. In that arena, B:Y1 is the greatest comic of all time.
Did you ever read Frank Miller's Ronin, the six-issue miniseries, printed on that new pretty paper they were using at the time for their limited series, he did after he left Marvel and before he created TDKR? That's my single favorite concept of his. Entirely original, not based on existing characters. His best art, too, by far.

Quote:
Haven't read it. I have read enough of Alan Moore's other stuff that I did not like that I have kind of avoided that. I liked V for Vendetta. Hated WATCHMEN. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was okay. Kinda pretentious and boring at times, but not horrible. Batman: The Killing Joke was good, if over-rated.
I love Watchmen and TKJ. Don't care for TLoEG. Way pretentious (better enjoyed if you're British, I guess). I never read V for Vendetta, but the movie didn't make me want to go looking for back issues or collections.

Quote:
People keep telling me that Alan Moore is the greatest comic book writer of all time. But these tend to be the same people that think Pink Floyd is the greatest band of all time. Drugs will do that kind of stuff to your brain after a while.
Again, there are too many writers that have made such a mark on a certain character, that if you lined them up, I wouldn't be able to single out a favorite. Miller rescued Daredevil from mediocrity. Simonson did the same with Thor. Moore infused new life into Swamp Thing and made his book one of DC's hottest at the time. O'Neil resuscitated the Question.

Batman has had too many great writers, from Barr to Englehart to Miller to Dixon to Morrison to Snyder, and so on, that it's way too tough to take one and leave out the rest.

Pink Floyd...lol. The greatest thing about PF isn't Waters, it's Gilmour. And one of Floyd's best songs ("Comfortably Numb") was originally meant for Gilmour's first solo album. Now put that into its proper context! I like his first solo album better than any PF record. And I own nothing by Floyd.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Did you ever read Frank Miller's Ronin, the six-issue miniseries, printed on that new pretty paper they were using at the time for their limited series, he did after he left Marvel and before he created TDKR? That's my single favorite concept of his. Entirely original, not based on existing characters. His best art, too, by far.
I read it ages ago. I liked it. Wouldn't say I loved it. Miller's intense, unrelenting grimness gets a bit tiring after a while.

Quote:
Batman has had too many great writers, from Barr to Englehart to Miller to Dixon to Morrison to Snyder, and so on, that it's way too tough to take one and leave out the rest.
Morrison was the reason I stopped reading Batman. I cannot stand his stuff, be it Batman or X-Men or Superman or whatever. Absolutely hate it.

Snyder was the reason I started reading Batman again.

Quote:
Pink Floyd...lol. The greatest thing about PF isn't Waters, it's Gilmour. And one of Floyd's best songs ("Comfortably Numb") was originally meant for Gilmour's first solo album. Now put that into its proper context! I like his first solo album better than any PF record. And I own nothing by Floyd.
I agree with every word there --- and you know how crazy that makes me.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Snyder was the reason I started reading Batman again.
That was a great run. Did you like the two Batman: Earth One graphic novels by Johns/Frank?

Quote:
I agree with every word there --- and you know how crazy that makes me.
Time to refill your meds.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
That was a great run. Did you like the two Batman: Earth One graphic novels by Johns/Frank?
If so, I don't remember them. I'll see if the the library has them. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
If so, I don't remember them. I'll see if the the library has them. Thanks!
2012/2015.

Batman: Earth One Vol 1 1 | DC Database | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Batman: Earth One Vol 1 2 | DC Database | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies