U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 PM

7,173 posts, read 5,349,853 times

Advertisements

I watched that when it first came out on HBO and it was really good.
I should watch it again and would probably enjoy it even more. If I could only get my wife on board to watch too.
We did just watch "Hacksaw Ridge" and she liked it but closed her eyes during the battles.
She does appreciate a good story and B of B had that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 AM

10,074 posts, read 4,009,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I always get hooked on it again every year when some cable network airs it around Memorial Day or so. Excellent mini-series. I was hoping that the follow-up "The Pacific" would be as good.. It was not. Wasn't BAD.. But wasn't as good as Band of Brothers.

Watched it originally when it aired on HBO.
Oh, I liked The Pacific a lot. It may be because I watched it before I watched Band of Brothers. Band of Brothers was fine, but I liked The Pacific more.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,446,244 times
I am currently watching this show. So good! My husband and I have been spacing out the episodes so that we don't binge it in one week. I have to say that this show just sucks you in. I love the interviews with the actual men before the episodes.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:25 AM

4,415 posts, read 4,464,315 times
Quote:
I always get hooked on it again every year when some cable network airs it around Memorial Day or so. Excellent mini-series. I was hoping that the follow-up "The Pacific" would be as good.. It was not. Wasn't BAD.. But wasn't as good as Band of Brothers.

I have BOB on DVD, and watch it occasionally. It is a VERY well done mini-series. I have seen "the Pacific", and I didn't like it nearly as much.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM

4,501 posts, read 2,136,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have BOB on DVD, and watch it occasionally. It is a VERY well done mini-series. I have seen "the Pacific", and I didn't like it nearly as much.
I think that for many it came down to how The Pacific showed us individual Marines, one of whom didn't survive the war. While the Band Of Brothers did show that brotherhood, even the bad big brother in the Captain who got relieved of his command. The interviews were a big part of it.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 AM

12,931 posts, read 17,610,390 times
Anyone who enjoyed this series really needs to read the book. The series was actually a remarkably faithful adaptation of the actual events, but the TV series had to leave out SO MUCH. Otherwise, it would have been an 80 hour series. Lots of good stories in the book that never made it to the screen.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 AM

3,479 posts, read 2,988,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Anyone who enjoyed this series really needs to read the book. The series was actually a remarkably faithful adaptation of the actual events, but the TV series had to leave out SO MUCH. Otherwise, it would have been an 80 hour series. Lots of good stories in the book that never made it to the screen.
Wasn't there a story in there, that was the basis for, "Saving Private Ryan"?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,394,832 times
Saving Private Ryan was loosely based off the story of the Niland brothers from New York. 4 brothers.. 3 were thought to have died, so the 4th was sent back stateside to serve his tour there. It was later discovered that one of the other brothers had survived.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:54 PM

372 posts, read 103,190 times
Quote:

I don't think the Pacific was quite as emotional in some ways, but it wasn't telling the same story as the close-knit Band of brothers either. The Pacific is based on I believe the books of 3 diffeent marines if I am not mistaken.

However, the Pacific depicted very graphic scenes and the filmmaking of that was as good as Band of Brothers.

I think one was as good as the other, they were just different stories overall.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,296,398 times
BoB had more attachment to the characters. After the first episode, I knew who the characters were. Not so much with the Pacific. However, the Pacific did show more of the graphic hell of war. I also liked the last episode of the Pacific touches on life after the war.

For those that liked these 2 series, supposedly Spielberg and Hanks are working on another 10 part mini-series called the mighty 8th. Supposedly due out in 2019. Information on it is sketchy at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies