U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:45 PM

19,712 posts, read 40,123,999 times

Advertisements

Saw it today
Strong performances from 3 adult leads--Harrelson likely earned award nominations because his is not a one-note performance...the child actors especially two for Jeannette Walls have great future...
But can't help finding their praising of their father at the end to gloss over too easily a narcissist, abusive father... One whose intelligence and charisma enabled the acceptance most of the time by his children...because he was able to inspire their love...
The mother was equally to blame for failing to champion the children's needs over her desire to be absorbed in her painting...
The only saving grace (to me) was there (supposedly) was no direct physical abuse and they really encouraged the children's reading and imagination...
damned w/faint praise in my book...

Made me think of the Kathy Bates film "A Home of Our Own"...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107130/
anyone see that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 05:50 PM

1,507 posts, read 477,089 times
I love love loved that book. I saw the movie trailer and was a little dismayed - the Dad was clearly completely irresponsible, as was the mom, and they should have been removed by CPS for the conditions they were in, and lack of food and any supervision/caring parenting whatsoever.

I liked in the book how Jeannette misunderstood her father, and admired him, but as she grew into an adult her "voice" changed in the book and she realized what absolute losers both her parents were. I'm kind of irritated that they don't portray the dad for what he is.

But I still think I'll go to see it. I really like Woody Harrelson.

Thanks for the review!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 PM

There is criticism and Jeanette does break with and criticize her parents but at theand of movie the adult kids seem to find more to praise than criticize...
I didn't read book so can't compare her overall judgement there...

Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 PM

29,608 posts, read 36,854,205 times
I just saw it and I found it very dark and depressing. I agree that the child actresses were wonderful....really all the actors were. I just felt like the movie was much too long, and I wouldn't recommend it, unless you are just too happy, and need an antidote.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 AM

NY Times review was middling and faulted director--which I agree was big part of problem
But does her book agree the balancing of Rex's abuse and neglect is a fair trade for his imagination and "love" he gave his kids??

Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 AM

8,076 posts, read 4,536,518 times
I told my wife, after we saw it yesterday, that it was perhaps the most heart-warming movie about sustained child abuse I have ever seen.

That said, it was an excellent movie. Indeed, upon arrival home I started reading the book, which my wife already had.

I found all of the actors outstanding. I agree that Woody (whom has come a long way from his stint on Cheers) deserves an Oscar nomination.

It is a difficult movie to watch. However, I certainly recommend it.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:12 AM

29,608 posts, read 36,854,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
NY Times review was middling and faulted director--which I agree was big part of problem
But does her book agree the balancing of Rex's abuse and neglect is a fair trade for his imagination and "love" he gave his kids??
I didn't read the book, but if the author felt that her father's joie de vivre, and brilliance overshadowed the abuse, I do not think the movie conveyed that.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I didn't read the book, but if the author felt that her father's joie de vivre, and brilliance overshadowed the abuse, I do not think the movie conveyed that.
I thought the last scene w/the adult siblings sitting at the table toasting their father's positive attributes pretty much said exactly that...which is why I asked about the book's tone...

It is MY perception I admit...but if the director didn't want any viewers to take that perception away from the totality of the movie...why choose to leave that scene as the final impression?
Can you think of any movie that is supposed to expose any negative or positive attribute/practice that has as a final shot the OPPOSITE impression?

Conside the movie "Valley of Elah" w/Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Therone...a dark, troubling story of middle class values and the American systems put under stress by the negative results of the war in the Middle East on our military, their families, and the civilians dealing with the state-side soldiers damaged by their service...
An early scene shows Tommy Lee Jones's character (a retired Army lifer who had one son killed in the war and another AWOL he goes to find) instructing a school custodian about how to properly display a US flag which was flying upside down -- a distress signal.
The final scene shows him, after finding out all the sad trauma behind his son's murder, returning home disillusioned about almost any beliefs he previously held, at the same flag pole, reversing the same American flag to fly the distress signal...and taping the ropes to hold it that way...

If that scene were changed so that he got out and saluted the flag vs turning it upside down, he (and the writer/director) would have sabotaged the entire message and tone of the movie and their prior efforts would have rung hollow...
Which is one reason I think the movie is not totally successful...

Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 AM

10,798 posts, read 10,893,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I thought the last scene w/the adult siblings sitting at the table toasting their father's positive attributes pretty much said exactly that...which is why I asked about the book's tone...
Jeannette Walls was warned her memoir, 'The Glass Castle,' might be Hollywoodized on film; what happened was just the opposite - LA Times

Old Today, 02:17 AM

11,696 posts, read 19,221,974 times
I read the book, haven't seen the movie. The book was breathtaking. Rarely have I ever wished to punch faces as much as both the mother and the father.

Actually, after watching the movie the OP compared GC with, I wanted to punch Kathy Bates' character in the face too. I think these types of people should not be allowed even one child, let alone several.

Putting kids through such misery, and for what? Without spoiling the movie, let's just say the financial issues were self imposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies