U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 PM

9,344 posts, read 6,650,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I did like Wonder Woman. I liked the new Spidery flick. Can't say I absolutely loved either, but I liked them.

Meh. HULK without Banner is boring. Banner without HULK is insufferable. They both need and hate each other. All this Planet Hulk, Red Hulk, P.I. Hulk, etc. is just silly gimmickry.

Didn't care for the Gray, red, etc. Too much to keep up with myself. Planet Hulk I like the story line just like I liked WWH. Planet Hulk could of been MUCH better though I wanted Hulk to have some peace at least for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 PM

22,016 posts, read 12,161,649 times
I think it looks good. Until Guardians 2, Thor was my favorite non-Avengers movie that wasn't Captain America centered. I kind of liked Dark World but it wasn't that good. What I see from this is a little confusing. It looks serious but too much guardians based. Don't get me wrong, Hemsworth is a comedian but I don't see it too well in Thor. Hulk I can take or leave honestly.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:37 AM

2,209 posts, read 575,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Kenneth Branaugh directed the first Thor, and he's not known for his action credentials. Ryan Coogler is directing Black Panther. The directors of Captain Marvel are from the indie film circuit. It's an interesting choice for the studio to make this kind of movie with directors who are coming from different genres. It makes for a better film.
Actually, I had watched a video that essentially explained it the same way:

Taika Waititi Discusses Marvel's Choice for Him as Director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNubKmiiLA

Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM

3,893 posts, read 1,421,898 times
Sheesh.

(Some mild spoilers.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#fc47d9c17005

Quote:
Review: Tessa Thompson And Cate Blanchett Steal 'Thor: Ragnarok'

At its best, the self-aware and often self-mocking Thor: Ragnarok has a sensibility that will remind viewers of Brad Bird’s Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol. As you may recall, the running gag of that recent action classic is that Ethan Hunt and his team were constantly vexed by gadgets that didn’t work and plans that didn’t quite come together. There is a certain “Hmm, that didn’t go as I intended” or “That big moment fell flat!” wit that permeates Taika Waititi’s occasionally delightful and always entertaining fantasy comic book threequel. It’s paper-thin, but it’s good fun.

In fact, its core flaw is that the film is so in-on-the-joke witty that it often forgets to acknowledge its own drama. It finds itself overcompensating for a non-existent problem as if it believed the myth about the previous Thor movies being too serious and goes 180 degrees in the other direction. Still, this goofy and visually dynamic adventure is enjoyable to a fault, and if I may carp that it drags in the middle (not enough story for a 130-minute running time) then I will also note it starts and ends very well.

Things get off to a superb start, as the curtain raiser reveals Thor succeeding in efforts to prevent “Ragnarok” (an end-of-all things apocalyptic event). It’s an almost courageous choice, essentially having its core hero complete the title mission in the prologue, leaving us on our toes about what else might transpire. After that rocking action sequence, as it literally rocks out to “Immigrant Song,” the picture heads back to Asgard where we get a delightful bit of camp theater (with a few fun cameos) which resolves unfinished business from Thor: The Dark World. So far, so fun.

After tracking down Odin (Anthony Hopkins) with the help of Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch, in a delightful snarky cameo with Loki and Strange trying to outdo each other), we get to the core of the story. Hela, the Goddess of Death (Cate Blanchett, going full camp and loving it) has returned and quickly gets rid of both Thor and Loki before making short work of Asgard’s security. We spend the next hour or so alternating between Hella’s plans for Thor’s home and Thor’s attempts to escape the hostile world in which he has found himself.

If you’ve seen any amount of marketing for the picture, you’ll know that Thor finds himself without his magic hammer and forced to compete in a gladiator competition against the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo). Oddly enough, much of this material, which includes Jeff Goldblum essentially playing himself (or at least someone playing Jeff Goldblum) and Tessa Thompson providing able support as the last of the Valkyrie, is unfocused and stretched out. Much of this middle chunk of the picture feels like a distraction. It feels padded as if Marvel couldn’t bear to have a 95-minute movie.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 AM

6,160 posts, read 9,722,716 times
10 years ago I couldn't wait to see movies like this one in the theater.

Nowadays, I have no problem waiting for it to come out on DVD.

Am I getting old?

Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 AM

I loved and hated this film similar to Suicide Squad. I now see especially in this one the Marvel complaints of too many jokes. This film was entirely guilty of it. Took me out of the serious aspects of the film to be quite honest.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:11 AM

1,648 posts, read 735,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I loved and hated this film similar to Suicide Squad. I now see especially in this one the Marvel complaints of too many jokes. This film was entirely guilty of it. Took me out of the serious aspects of the film to be quite honest.
Marvel movies aren't meant to be serious

Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM

4,681 posts, read 3,451,682 times
I saw this last night and completely enjoyed it. Yes, there are a lot of laughs in it, but to me that makes it fun. After all, it is based off a children's comic book. The storyline was decent with decent acting. Jeff Goldbloom was in perfect Jeff fashion and Cate Blanchett killed it. It was a fun roller coaster and I'm looking forward to the next ride.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Marvel movies aren't meant to be serious
Winter Soldier and Civil War. Plus with the name Ragnarok, you would think this would be serious too...

Old 11-03-2017, 01:06 PM

3,893 posts, read 1,421,898 times
They got the wrong director. Waititi got away with a lot of improv during filming. Even Ruffalo said something to the effect of "How are we not getting fired?"

Waititi said the 1980 remake of Flash Gordon was a big influence on the film. That's the wrong movie to draw from for something called Ragnarok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies