U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 815,760 times
Reputation: 1424

Advertisements

Also, I thought that the funniest scene was when everyone was waiting to see who's Thor's opponent was in arena:

Spoiler
and Loki's reaction to finding out that it was the Hulk was to die for. I mean, Tom Hiddleston nailed it. Especially when you start to think about what the Hulk did to Loki in The Avengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
23,683 posts, read 13,356,549 times
Reputation: 8624
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Also, I thought that the funniest scene was when everyone was waiting to see who's Thor's opponent was in arena:

Spoiler
and Loki's reaction to finding out that it was the Hulk was to die for. I mean, Tom Hiddleston nailed it. Especially when you start to think about what the Hulk did to Loki in The Avengers.
I happen to agree that this was a better moment in the movie but overall I don't like it. Too much stereotypical "Marvel movies aren't serious enough" moments. Which sucks because Hela was awesome, probably the best villain in Phase 3 so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 11:15 AM
 
4,582 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Reputation: 2672
Saw Ragnarok last night.

Best things about it:

I. Mark Mothersbaugh's music! No kidding. It's too good for the movie, actually.

II. The mouthwatering VFX. Seriously, some of those shots were off the chain. Outstanding FX.

III. Apart from the bad dialogue, the opening sequence might be Marvel's best yet.

Worst things about it:

I. Yep, that dialogue! Atrocious. 80-90% of the dialogue was ad-libbed/improvised, and somebody should have stepped in and said "Come on, guys, it's not a Saturday morning cartoon."

— because that's exactly what Ragnarok is: a Saturday morning cartoon with amazing VFX.

II. They wedged too many storylines into one movie, all of which would each have been better served by their own movie: Surtur; Planet Hulk; Ragnarok; and Hela should have been the sole villain of the movie, or combine her story with Surtur, making him the Big Bad, instead of rendering her yet another throwaway.

III. A lot of the movie doesn't make sense, like how Thor, Loki and Hulk all end up together, in the same exact place. Some of the tonal shifts are jarring, too.

Spoiler
IV. The first 20 minutes are unbelievably rushed. You get: Surtur's initial defeat (which is undone for the finale); Loki's bs act is uncovered (after 4 years! Thor must be the worst detective ever); the death of Odin; the arrival of Hela, immediately afterward.

V. Doctor Strange's cameo was likewise unnecessary and gratuitous. He did nothing except show us he could have relayed Odin's whereabouts much sooner to Thor, who doesn't seem too concerned with punishing Loki apart from glaring at him for a moment before Hela shows up. Benedict seemed bored, too. Very wooden.

VI. Also, Hulk's leap at Surtur was shown in the trailer, making it a spoiler on the level as Hulk's rescue of Iron Man in the Avengers trailer! WTF, Marvel?


See it for the VFX and the music. Just leave your brain at the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 01:54 PM
 
56 posts, read 17,889 times
Reputation: 81
very good movie. enjoyed it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 815,760 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I happen to agree that this was a better moment in the movie but overall I don't like it. Too much stereotypical "Marvel movies aren't serious enough" moments. Which sucks because Hela was awesome, probably the best villain in Phase 3 so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Saw Ragnarok last night.

Best things about it:

I. Mark Mothersbaugh's music! No kidding. It's too good for the movie, actually.

II. The mouthwatering VFX. Seriously, some of those shots were off the chain. Outstanding FX.

III. Apart from the bad dialogue, the opening sequence might be Marvel's best yet.

Worst things about it:

I. Yep, that dialogue! Atrocious. 80-90% of the dialogue was ad-libbed/improvised, and somebody should have stepped in and said "Come on, guys, it's not a Saturday morning cartoon."

because that's exactly what Ragnarok is: a Saturday morning cartoon with amazing VFX.

II. They wedged too many storylines into one movie, all of which would each have been better served by their own movie: Surtur; Planet Hulk; Ragnarok; and Hela should have been the sole villain of the movie, or combine her story with Surtur, making him the Big Bad, instead of rendering her yet another throwaway.

III. A lot of the movie doesn't make sense, like how Thor, Loki and Hulk all end up together, in the same exact place. Some of the tonal shifts are jarring, too.

Spoiler
IV. The first 20 minutes are unbelievably rushed. You get: Surtur's initial defeat (which is undone for the finale); Loki's bs act is uncovered (after 4 years! Thor must be the worst detective ever); the death of Odin; the arrival of Hela, immediately afterward.

V. Doctor Strange's cameo was likewise unnecessary and gratuitous. He did nothing except show us he could have relayed Odin's whereabouts much sooner to Thor, who doesn't seem too concerned with punishing Loki apart from glaring at him for a moment before Hela shows up. Benedict seemed bored, too. Very wooden.

VI. Also, Hulk's leap at Surtur was shown in the trailer, making it a spoiler on the level as Hulk's rescue of Iron Man in the Avengers trailer! WTF, Marvel?


See it for the VFX and the music. Just leave your brain at the door.
I respect you two's points of views, although, it should be interesting to see how the American public votes with it's wallet during the final tally for this movie. Which I am predicting should either be a 300 or 400 million dollar movie domestically.

However, it's already a big hit overseas and I'm guessing that the international tally should end up being a billion dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 815,760 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Saw Ragnarok last night.

Best things about it:

II. The mouthwatering VFX. Seriously, some of those shots were off the chain. Outstanding FX.
I particularly liked the slow motion imagery of the Valkyries flying down from the sky on winged horses to battle Hela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
III. Apart from the bad dialogue, the opening sequence might be Marvel's best yet.
Yes. Thor's battle with the not-fully-powered Surtur was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Worst things about it:

II. They wedged too many storylines into one movie, all of which would each have been better served by their own movie: Surtur; Planet Hulk; Ragnarok; and Hela should have been the sole villain of the movie, or combine her story with Surtur, making him the Big Bad, instead of rendering her yet another throwaway.
Whaaaaaaat? A throwaway? Hmmm. Um, okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
III. A lot of the movie doesn't make sense, like how Thor, Loki and Hulk all end up together, in the same exact place. Some of the tonal shifts are jarring, too.
Well, that makes sense, however, if the movie had featured Thor, Loki, and the Hulk in separate places, then people would have been wondering/complaining about why Thor, Loki, and the Hulk were in separate locations in this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Spoiler
IV. The first 20 minutes are unbelievably rushed. You get: Surtur's initial defeat (which is undone for the finale); Loki's bs act is uncovered (after 4 years! Thor must be the worst detective ever); the death of Odin; the arrival of Hela, immediately afterward.

V. Doctor Strange's cameo was likewise unnecessary and gratuitous. He did nothing except show us he could have relayed Odin's whereabouts much sooner to Thor, who doesn't seem too concerned with punishing Loki apart from glaring at him for a moment before Hela shows up. Benedict seemed bored, too. Very wooden.

VI. Also, Hulk's leap at Surtur was shown in the trailer, making it a spoiler on the level as Hulk's rescue of Iron Man in the Avengers trailer! WTF, Marvel?
Spoiler
IV. But I thought that you said that you like the opening sequence. Therefore, what am I not understanding about what you said about the opening sequence?

But as far as when Thor found out about Loki's BS act, I thought that Thor said in 'movie time' that it was only 2 years. Also, from what I remembered, Thor didn't visit Asgard that much(if at all), therefore, it seems likely that Thor didn't know about Loki's impersonation of Odin during all that time.

Also, what you call "immediately afterward" was actually 2 or 4(if you are correct) years later. Also, Hela's arrival was contingent upon Odin's death.

V. The Doctor Strange scene was hilarious and that was one of the scenes where the audience for the showing that I went to laughed the most.

VI. The Hulk's leap at Surtur 'spoiler' didn't bother me. Although, I'm not sure why it would. Especially since the Hulk didn't save the day by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 08:14 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 815,760 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think they were intended to be at least semi-serious (IRON MAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, WINTER SOLIDER) until Joss Whedon became such a heavy insider consultant. Now it's nothing but endless snark.

I'm eagerly anticipating the day the Marvel movie-verse ends and starts over. It has outstayed its welcome.

And maybe by that time, DC will have a coherent movie universe figured out.
Well, yes, Mark. In your opinion. However, it looks like the worldwide public feels otherwise because of the hundreds of million and billions that Marvel movies are still raking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
1,190 posts, read 1,033,631 times
Reputation: 1858
I loved the movie. I felt is really hit the right "note" for a movie based on a comic book. Other than the Dark Knight movie, I prefer a good mix of humor and action is these kinds of movies.

However, I was hoping someone could explain a few things to me.

1) How was Hela able to catch and break Thor's hammer? Note she was not on Asgard at the time.

and

2) Why did the Hulk stay in Hulk form for so long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 815,760 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I loved the movie. I felt is really hit the right "note" for a movie based on a comic book. Other than the Dark Knight movie, I prefer a good mix of humor and action is these kinds of movies.

However, I was hoping someone could explain a few things to me.

1) How was Hela able to catch and break Thor's hammer? Note she was not on Asgard at the time.

and

2) Why did the Hulk stay in Hulk form for so long?
1) I would say probably because of her 'inherent' power, since she is the daughter of Odin.

2) Probably because of not having the Black Widow around who seemed to be the only person who could calm him and cause him to turn back into Bruce Banner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 10:35 PM
 
4,582 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Spoiler
IV. But I thought that you said that you like the opening sequence. Therefore, what am I not understanding about what you said about the opening sequence?

But as far as when Thor found out about Loki's BS act, I thought that Thor said in 'movie time' that it was only 2 years. Also, from what I remembered, Thor didn't visit Asgard that much(if at all), therefore, it seems likely that Thor didn't know about Loki's impersonation of Odin during all that time.

Also, what you call "immediately afterward" was actually 2 or 4(if you are correct) years later. Also, Hela's arrival was contingent upon Odin's death.

V. The Doctor Strange scene was hilarious and that was one of the scenes where the audience for the showing that I went to laughed the most.

VI. The Hulk's leap at Surtur 'spoiler' didn't bother me. Although, I'm not sure why it would. Especially since the Hulk didn't save the day by that.
Spoiler
Sorry, I meant everything following that opening battle. (Btw, the font for the title was sweetly Kirby-esque. On a visual/design level, the movie's nigh-flawless.)

The movie's vague about Thor's activities in the interim since TDW. Even Sif is completely glossed over, apparently being "away" on some mission. To me, that's nonsense. Once Hela's reign of terror was underway, somebody, somehow, would have gotten through to her. (But then she'd be dead, too.)

Faux-Odin was so silly compared to the real thing, it seems one phrase could given Loki away. He was careless enough after Thor showed up with Surtur's skull. (I don't think it was the grapes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top