Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Hollywood heads for its worst summer box office in a decade

The article's major point: Quality movies still did well. The CGI-heavy / sequel / raunch movie dreck tanked. To me, the conclusion is obvious: Make good movies and people will pay to see them. Make crap, and people will stay home and watch Game of Thrones instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 PM

939 posts, read 505,804 times
I doubt people will ever stop watching crap; the takeaway here is that you alas you can't just spoon feed the SAME exact predictable, used-up crap and story lines. A Transformers movie that finally flopped? About time. I can't believe it took this long.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
As discussed in the other box office thread in the politics section, so long as each movie is profitable as a whole, doesn't matter how badly it does in the U.S.

A lot of these box office discussions as in the OP's links are heavily American centric.

But the fact remains that the U.S. is no longer as important as some think in terms of box office success of a movie. Even if a movie tanks or underperforms in the U.S., it can still make millions overseas, and that is what Hollywood is counting on these days.

And despite what we may or may not like, it doesn't matter if China or hundreds of other nations make a CGI garbage movie profitable. Hollywood will continue to make these types of movies.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
This summer I saw 5 movies in the theater.

Lost City of Z

Kong Skull Island

King Arthur Legend of the Sword

Atomic Blonde

Annabelle

Annabelle was a free screening I got passes to, but I paid for the others. Honestly, not much has really grabbed me to want to see it in theaters. When Hollywood starts putting out better movies their box office numbers will get better.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post

Lost City of Z

Kong Skull Island

Atomic Blonde

Annabelle

Annabelle was a free screening I got passes to, but I paid for the others. Honestly, not much has really grabbed me to want to see it in theaters. When Hollywood starts putting out better movies their box office numbers will get better.
I saw 3 of yours --Z, Kong, and Atomic Blond...and many others bit few I thought were really good...
I hated Z, thought Kong was C+/B- only because John C Reilly was good....would never see that King Arthur and very much enjoyed Atomic Blond...
Saw The Big Sick and was pleasantly surprised...one of top 5 movies we saw
Saw Glass Castle and can praise most of the actors but hated the Stockholm-syndrome affection for horrible parents...
Would rate Captain Underpants in my top 5 as well...
Disappointed by The Beguiled---Kidman tried but that movie was overhyped...
War for Planet of Apes was one of better franchise episodes
Happily passed on Mummy (Crowe is getting too fat to play anyone but PT Barnum) and Transformers...ugh...
Looking forward to Wind River and hope to see Maudie...

Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post

Lost City of Z

Kong Skull Island

Atomic Blonde

Annabelle

How was King Arthur? Was it as good or better than the one a few years ago with Clive Owen? I thought that was a pretty interesting take on the story.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
They need new idea's for movies instead of remake after remake after remake. It's like groundhog day, the same movie over and over but with different actors.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I am an old guy of 64. A lifelong movie fan........ My salad days were spent watching movies. I'm glad I don't know just how many hours I have spent in a movie house in my lifetime.

I remember the sheer joy of seeing great films as a young man. Real fantastic stories that moved and excited me. I well remember coming out of the movie house after watching 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Running down the street, thinking about what I had just seen.

I didn't realise, we were entering a new golden age of movies, which continued throughout the rest of the 60s, and into the 70s and 80s. There were many great film stars like Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Harrison Ford, Warren Beatty, Sean Connery, Marlon Brando....... the list can carry on with many more names.

Who do we have today who can bring an audience out. To 'open' a movie? Tom Cruise? Who else? Nowadays, movies have become special effects, and little else. There is no real 'heart' there at all. The audience seems to be, in the main, kids. So, films are made for that audience. Older movie fans like me, have drifted away, only coming out for something like 'Dunkirk', which I did enjoy.

Once the regular movie going habit is broken, it is hard to rekindle the interest. I have no interest in Transformer movies, or Wonder Woman. But, you give me a movie with a real story, and a star performance, I'll be there. But where are the real movie stars any more? What happened? There used to be lots of real movie stars, but they're gone with the wind I guess.

But, Hollywood is struggling. The kids are fickle. Even Tom Cruise isn't hitting it out of the park any more. Where are the upcoming real stars? Television is now making the real interesting stuff. If the movies don't get it together, I can see the unimaginable coming down the line - the end of the cinema going experience.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Hollywood heads for its worst summer box office in a decade

The article's major point: Quality movies still did well. The CGI-heavy / sequel / raunch movie dreck tanked. To me, the conclusion is obvious: Make good movies and people will pay to see them. Make crap, and people will stay home and watch Game of Thrones instead.
I haven't read the article, but I agree with the its title.

Because there was a time when Hollywood went overboard with summer movies where there were about 4 to 6 blockbuster-type movies per week that were released during the summer (back in the 80s or the 90s?) where you hardly could keep up with them. But for 2017, there really weren't that many summer movies that were released per week. Plus, a lot them that were suppose to be blockbusters such as:

1. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

2. Alien: Covenant

3. Baywatch (Really?)

4. The Mummy

5. Transformers: The Last Knight

6. War for the Planet of the Apes

7. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

8. Atomic Blonde

9. The Emoji Movie

10. The Dark Tower

bombed at the box office.

2017 Release Schedule | FirstShowing.net

Old 08-13-2017, 03:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Baywatch was not that bad-/
MUCH better than The House for example
And it didnt pretend to be more than an excuse for a dummer outing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies