U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM

4,526 posts, read 1,987,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
But don't you feel that people already are NOT into the high prices and find other ways to watch movies. So I don't see how this pass will change that. Most people I know, look for discounts or wait for matinees or $5 tuesdays or go to the $3.50 movie theater.

I think theaters are already hurting. Aside from Annabelle (which was a free screening), all the movies we have been to this year were not sold out or packed.
Sure, they're already hurting. This could cause them to hurt even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 12:58 PM

8,667 posts, read 4,769,989 times
AMC Theaters Officially Begins Banning MoviePass Customers

Old 08-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Status: "Most annoying poster on cd according to 1986pacecar" (set 1 day ago)

2,999 posts, read 1,544,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

So they are no longer accepting Mastercard as one way to ban this pass? Did I miss something... does Mastercard own this pass? I guess I am a bit confused. So no more E-tickets for certain locations... they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. So people who use Mastercard or buy e-tickets will no longer be able to. Smart move AMC.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 PM

4,526 posts, read 1,987,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
So they are no longer accepting Mastercard as one way to ban this pass? Did I miss something... does Mastercard own this pass? I guess I am a bit confused. So no more E-tickets for certain locations... they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. So people who use Mastercard or buy e-tickets will no longer be able to. Smart move AMC.
The way the pass works is that people sign up on the app, and they're sent a prepaid Mastercard. When they go to the theater to see a movie, they check in on the app, and the company loads the price of admission onto their Mastercard.

Mastercard is not actually affiliated with MoviePass.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:05 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,665,789 times
Sounds like torture to me considering how many bad movies come out these days. Plus the 30-45 minutes of advertisement (preview) I have to endure.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 PM

7,701 posts, read 7,887,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Because it could end up hurting them long term. People are going to get used to paying $10 to go to the movies multiple times in a month. Then when MoviePass fails (as many are predicting) or even jacks up their prices, those people will stop going altogether because they've grown accustomed to super cheap movies.
Well there is something known as "protecting your brand". Hotels know that an unrented room represents a loss of income that you can never get back, but if you try for 100% occupancy than people will wait around to the last minute in an effort to get the best deal. If you stayed in a hotel for $20 then you really never want to pay $200 for the same room. You are better off leaving rooms un-rented.

But in this case MoviePass is paying the theater full price. If MoviePass jumps their price to $30 in a few months then it is not the movie chain's fault.

People purchase airline tickets for $1 + taxes. They know the ULCC is going to try and make money on fees for luggage, boarding passes, seat selection, food and drinks, earplugs, They still fly even if they can't get $1 fare next time.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 AM

11,883 posts, read 15,823,110 times
Since most people are living paycheck to paycheck these days I don't think a lot can afford the high cost of a movie . This pass thing would not work for us might be good for a single person but who goes to the movies alone anymore ? You know another thing I don't really like to go to crowded places anymore the way the world is now . You have to be on guard even at movie theaters . So I will just stick to my library rents etc and those are free ,.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:19 AM

5,845 posts, read 4,888,041 times
After going to a relatively empty theater and have a couple sit right behind me with one of them occasionally pushing on the back of my chair, it reminded me why I don't like theaters... Seriously there's a ton of empty seats...why sit right behind me? Seems like some people just like to gather in packs. That's not me. Go away. I don't want to hear you talking and munching on popcorn.

I sit in the spot where I can rest my feet up on the railings. Maybe they were just annoyed I got that spot first and wanted to get me to move so they could take it.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:47 AM

7,411 posts, read 15,210,138 times
I have a feeling that Movie Pass beat AMC to the subscription based movies and are butt hurt about it. I think its a great way to get people back into theaters, something I havent done in years. There has been plenty of times I wanted to see the movie but didnt want to pay the $10+ to go see it but a $9.95 subscription has definitely sparked my interest again.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 PM

8,573 posts, read 10,728,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'd never heard of "Movie Pass" until this week. For $9.95/month, you can get a pass that lets you see unlimited movies in theaters (well, one per day, so 30 per month!). This article says that 91% of all the theaters in the US will accept this pass, and it is good for all movies except 3D or IMAX.

I have no idea how this company could possibly make any money, because if I'm understanding correctly, every time a patron uses the pass, the Movie Pass company pays the theater the full cost of a ticket.

Apparently it cost $50/month until this past Tuesday, when they slashed the price to $9.95.

I definitely want to learn more! Has anyone here tried it?

MoviePass FAQ: Everything to know about the $10-a-month service for moviegoers - Business Insider

A friend of mines and his wife will certainly go for this......they are gung-ho movies goers.....

I'm retired , but hate going to the movies alone , because my wife hates going to the movies.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies