Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:59 PM

6,455 posts, read 6,622,871 times

Advertisements

I'd never heard of "Movie Pass" until this week. For $9.95/month, you can get a pass that lets you see unlimited movies in theaters (well, one per day, so 30 per month!). This article says that 91% of all the theaters in the US will accept this pass, and it is good for all movies except 3D or IMAX.

I have no idea how this company could possibly make any money, because if I'm understanding correctly, every time a patron uses the pass, the Movie Pass company pays the theater the full cost of a ticket.

Apparently it cost $50/month until this past Tuesday, when they slashed the price to $9.95.

I definitely want to learn more! Has anyone here tried it?

MoviePass FAQ: Everything to know about the $10-a-month service for moviegoers - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 09:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,941,830 times
I've seen a lot of comments on social media saying it doesnt work, and there are a lot of glitches. Plus, you can't use it to see the same movie twice, so it's not like you would actually be seeing 30 movies every month. Realistically, most people would probably only use it 2-3 times a month. Every theater atound here has a $5 movie day, so you wouldnt even be saving much money to deal with the hassle of their glitches.

They also have a very pricey termination fee. The fee is $75 if you've had a membership for under 3 months, $60 if under 6 months, $40 if under 9 months, and $20 if under a year. So that is probably where they make their money.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,595,110 times
They make their money when they go public...

Old 08-20-2017, 05:02 AM

6,455 posts, read 6,622,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've seen a lot of comments on social media saying it doesnt work, and there are a lot of glitches. Plus, you can't use it to see the same movie twice, so it's not like you would actually be seeing 30 movies every month. Realistically, most people would probably only use it 2-3 times a month. Every theater atound here has a $5 movie day, so you wouldnt even be saving much money to deal with the hassle of their glitches.

They also have a very pricey termination fee. The fee is $75 if you've had a membership for under 3 months, $60 if under 6 months, $40 if under 9 months, and $20 if under a year. So that is probably where they make their money.
According to the Movie Pass website, there is no longer a year commitment or cancellation fees. That makes it much easier to give it a try.

I don't know of any $5 movie days where I live, besides, weekends are the only time my husband and I have time to go to a movie. That's $12 a ticket, so if we used the pass merely once per month, we'd save money.

I hadn't heard about the glitches you referred to, so will look into that.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:48 AM

16,363 posts, read 12,351,506 times
They're planning on making money by selling data to advertisers ... movie going habits related to specific demographics, etc.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,091,563 times
no way i'd go for this. week after week i check the new movies starting every thursday / friday and come up rolling craps. especially this year, for some reason.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:40 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,091,563 times
AMC Theatres Says It Will Try To Block MoviePass

Old 08-22-2017, 06:06 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,939,004 times
We don't go to the theater enough for that pass to be worth it. This year we've been to the theater 5 times (only paid for 4 of the movies as 1 we had free passes for). The only reason we went more this year is that my husband bought movie ticket cards from Costco because they were discounted (4 $25 cards for $40).

We use to go to the theater a lot, but with the higher prices, lack of quality movies, noise from other patrons, dirty theaters (until most renovated), it just hasn't been worth it. My husband bought a nice television and we can wait for movies to stream or redbox them.

It seems to me that theaters aren't doing as well as they use to because people are finding better ways to watch movies. Based on everything I have read about this movie pass deal, if AMC was smart, they'd take the passes. They are still getting the full ticket price. Patrons seeing more movies a month can mean more concession sales. Why pass that up?

Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 AM

16,363 posts, read 12,351,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
It seems to me that theaters aren't doing as well as they use to because people are finding better ways to watch movies. Based on everything I have read about this movie pass deal, if AMC was smart, they'd take the passes. They are still getting the full ticket price. Patrons seeing more movies a month can mean more concession sales. Why pass that up?
Because it could end up hurting them long term. People are going to get used to paying $10 to go to the movies multiple times in a month. Then when MoviePass fails (as many are predicting) or even jacks up their prices, those people will stop going altogether because they've grown accustomed to super cheap movies.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,939,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Because it could end up hurting them long term. People are going to get used to paying $10 to go to the movies multiple times in a month. Then when MoviePass fails (as many are predicting) or even jacks up their prices, those people will stop going altogether because they've grown accustomed to super cheap movies.
But don't you feel that people already are NOT into the high prices and find other ways to watch movies. So I don't see how this pass will change that. Most people I know, look for discounts or wait for matinees or $5 tuesdays or go to the $3.50 movie theater.

I think theaters are already hurting. Aside from Annabelle (which was a free screening), all the movies we have been to this year were not sold out or packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies