Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times

Advertisements

I understand that movies based on true stories will make up a lot for the sake of drama. But here I feel that the changes they made to the movie, actually made the movie a lot less dramatic than the real story.

SPOILERS

In the movie, Bonnie and Clyde have a dead or alive warrant arrest warrant put out on them and the reason why the police shoot them is because the one lead cop, was humiliated by Bonnie and Clyde when they temporarily took him hostage, and then let him go, pretty much unharmed. So he wanted to get back at them and was probably the one who fired first, even though we don't see it.

In the real life story, Bonnie and Clyde killed two police officers to escape arrest. Either this or one of their team members did, it's never been confirmed who shots the cops.

One of the officers was about to get married before being shot, and his wife wore the wedding dress to his funeral, which sparked a lot of press coverage, and getting all the police departments riled up over wanting Bonnie and Clyde dead, or brought to justice.

I feel that for the movie, the real life story is far more dramatic. The bride to be of the killed officer, showing up at her dead husbands funeral, and causing public outcry, is just much more dramatic, then humiliating a cop in a photoshoot, then letting him go.

So I'm wondering why the writers chose to opt for a less dramatic story, when the real life story was more dramatic and compelling? I realize in movies they make things up for dramatic license, but this is more like anti-dramatic license, since the writers chose a less dramatic story as a result.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,014,715 times
Read all about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde_(film)

Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
They also romanticize them. They were much meaner than the movie shows.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:01 PM

Yeah I read that article already which got me interested, but the article does not really say WHY they chose to reduce the drama.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:55 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Was there a book out first? If so they may have had to change xx percentage in order to not owe royalties on the story.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:35 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Films exist to make profits for those who bankroll them. They are produced - written, filmed, cut, shown - with that in mind.

And considering this...
Quote:
"Bonnie and Clyde," which cost $2.5 million to make, went on to take in $50 million at the box office in America alone and an estimated $70 million worldwide.
Forty years later, 'Bonnie and Clyde' still blows us away

... they nailed it. Because last I checked, 2800% is a pretty good return on an investment.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 PM

It's a good movie, I just thought it could have been a better, and more suspenseful one, had they stuck to the true story for the third act.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
They also romanticize them. They were much meaner than the movie shows.
And uglier---
They were trash--nothing special about them at all but Warren Beatty would never make himself "trash" in a movie...

Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And uglier---
They were trash--nothing special about them at all but Warren Beatty would never make himself "trash" in a movie...

I doubt that Beatty or Dunaway would permit them to be seen to be "that evil". The opposite was true for the movie "Bloody Mama" starring Shelly Winters. That movie showed incest, homosexuality, etc.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:40 PM

Well they don't have to be shown as evil, they just have to blamed for the murders of two policemen. But they don't have ot pull the trigger. Gene Hackman's character could do it for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies