U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:41 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The action/chase scenes were as exciting as anything done live action.

The chase/fight between Elastigirl and ScreenSlaver was top notch.
It reminded me of the way classic Jackie Chan movies did their action scenes --- and that most modern movies ignore: Don't ignore the environment. Use it.

Most movies treat the environment, especially city streets and traffic, as places to completely ignore reality and the laws of physics. The Incredibles 2 --- and many classic Jackie Chan flicks --- purposefully make the environment part of the action. Windows, hallways, staircases, step ladders, chairs, racks of antlers, beer glasses they all become part of the fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 07:47 AM

3,787 posts, read 2,006,199 times
Enjoyed this second installment. Laughed my a$$ off.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:00 PM

25,394 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A number of critics have said the bad guy was too predictable, but clearly they intended the villain to be predictable right away.

Spoiler
It should have been a clue the moment they introduced her: Eveyln Deavor...Evel nDeavor...Evil Endeavor.
Also, as I said the villain was so singularly carefully animated that it was an attention draw.

That means the real story being told is not the A plot.
I complained about it, because it was too easy. I previously compared it to the Goob/Bowler Hat Guy scene from Meet the Robinsons where, you get the seeds that Goob could be a future Bowler Hat Guy, but it wasn't as outright as the Screen Slaver was. Now, I'll say this, Incredibles 2 was still a good movie, but it wasn't a great movie like most Pixar movies have been. It wasn't in the Cars 2, Brave or The Good Dinosaur basement to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
They never did catch the Underminer. Having said that, the Underminer would likely have been a week villain. They gave it lip service and proceeded onto the real villain of the movie.
Nope, they did not. I kind of wished they did just to take him off the table, but it does open up the Ratzenberg cameo for the next movie, if it happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Saw it today. Loved it. This movie is the new Gold Standard for action/chase scenes. Wow.
Yep, Pixar tests the boundaries of movies.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:34 PM

14,967 posts, read 8,529,518 times
Incredibles 2 just became the biggest Pixar movie ever, reaching $504 at the domestic box office this weekend, an amazing accomplishment.

Meanwhile, Jurassic Fallen Kingdom is fading fast at $333 million and won't come anywhere near close the original.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:41 PM

25,394 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Incredibles 2 just became the biggest Pixar movie ever, reaching $504 at the domestic box office this weekend, an amazing accomplishment.

Meanwhile, Jurassic Fallen Kingdom is fading fast at $333 million and won't come anywhere near close the original.
I stated it on the thread for Jurassic World that I liked it more than The Lost World, but it didn't have the magic I felt from Lost World. I don't think it is as searchable as Incredibles was and Incredibles is a family movie on top of that. I'm sure if I wanted to see it again, I would be able to get my mom to go with me.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 AM

9,665 posts, read 5,658,893 times
I almost forgot how much I liked the first one - and here I was thinking there's nothing playing that I would go see - I'm going today! Brad Bird wrote Batteries Not Included (1987), and directed The Iron Giant (1999), Ratatouille (2007), and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011). I didn't really want to see Tomorrowland (2015), but now I do and just borrowed the dvd from the library.

I mean - Iron Giant!

Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I almost forgot how much I liked the first one - and here I was thinking there's nothing playing that I would go see - I'm going today! Brad Bird wrote Batteries Not Included (1987), and directed The Iron Giant (1999), Ratatouille (2007), and Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol (2011). I didn't really want to see Tomorrowland (2015), but now I do and just borrowed the dvd from the library.
I'm a Brad Bird fan and tried to like Tomorrowland. Couldn't. It's not a bad movie exactly, but there is definitely something missing.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:47 PM

5,591 posts, read 2,427,249 times
Tomorrowland was like a box office detonation. It was an even bigger bomb than The Lone Ranger when budget and marketing got factored in.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:08 AM

9,665 posts, read 5,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Tomorrowland was like a box office detonation. It was an even bigger bomb than The Lone Ranger when budget and marketing got factored in.
boxoffice? what does that have to do with how good a movie is? i'm glad you asked. if other people don't like it and don't buy tickets, then it HAS to be bad, because other people don't like it and haven't bought tickets. so if you want other people to choose your movies, then have at it.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 AM

17,895 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
boxoffice? what does that have to do with how good a movie is? i'm glad you asked. if other people don't like it and don't buy tickets, then it HAS to be bad, because other people don't like it and haven't bought tickets. so if you want other people to choose your movies, then have at it.
So did you like Tomorrowland, or are you just spinning for the exercise?

I saw it in cable late one night. I didn't hate it, but I'm sure glad I didn't spend $40 seeing it at the theater with my wife. I might have been annoyed in that case.

There are certainly movies I have adored that most people ignored, didn't understand, or didn't like. Bladerunner 2049, for instance. I liked that well enough to immediately watch it twice, and that's not something I do even for movies I really like.

OTOH, when I think a movie is a dog for specific critical reasons, all the critics call it a dog for the same critical reasons, and it also does sorry box office with a whole lot of other people citing the same critical reasons...then it probably really is a dog even if a few other folk like it. Valarian, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies