U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM

14,502 posts, read 19,240,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So did you like Tomorrowland, or are you just spinning for the exercise?

I saw it in cable late one night. I didn't hate it, but I'm sure glad I didn't spend $40 seeing it at the theater with my wife. I might have been annoyed in that case.
I had much the same reaction. It wasn't bad. But the story just lacked something. I never really connected with any of the characters. Even what should have been tense scenes were lacking all tension.

Quote:
There are certainly movies I have adored that most people ignored, didn't understand, or didn't like. Bladerunner 2049, for instance. I liked that well enough to immediately watch it twice, and that's not something I do even for movies I really like.
BR 2049 definitely deserves repeat viewing. I don't know that it will ever make my list of Top 20 favorite movies, but it was a very good science film. It at least tried to be smart, if it didn't always succeed.

Quote:
OTOH, when I think a movie is a dog for specific critical reasons, all the critics call it a dog for the same critical reasons, and it also does sorry box office with a whole lot of other people citing the same critical reasons...then it probably really is a dog even if a few other folk like it. Valarian, for instance.
I haven't seen Valerian and am in no real rush to do so. But there are actually a lot of movies that received so-so to downright bad critical reviews that were actually really good movies. Off the top of my head...

PSYCHO. Actually received lukewarm critical reception at first. Just proving that occasionally critical zeitgeist is completely out of touch with reality.

ALIEN. Same thing.

THE EXORCIST. Ditto.

THE THING (1982). Critics hated this movie in 1982. They must've been drunk while watching.

PREDATOR. No one is ever going to call this a smart movie, but it is a fantastic action flick. One of the best "guy movies" ever made.

UHF. Critics didn't care for it. Audiences ignored it. It's still one of my favorite comedies. I don't care if it's dumb. It's dumbly hilarious.

And the king ...

BLADE RUNNER. Panned by critics. Ignored by audiences. It is the greatest movie ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 AM

16,964 posts, read 9,255,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I haven't seen Valerian and am in no real rush to do so. But there are actually a lot of movies that received so-so to downright bad critical reviews that were actually really good movies. Off the top of my head...

PSYCHO. Actually received lukewarm critical reception at first. Just proving that occasionally critical zeitgeist is completely out of touch with reality.

ALIEN. Same thing.

THE EXORCIST. Ditto.

THE THING (1982). Critics hated this movie in 1982. They must've been drunk while watching.
I watched The Thing. I will never watch it again. Took me months to get it out of my spirit--which is an indicator that it was effective in what it did. But I'll never watch it again.

Then again, I'll never watch "Deliverance" again for the same reason.
Quote:

PREDATOR. No one is ever going to call this a smart movie, but it is a fantastic action flick. One of the best "guy movies" ever made.

UHF. Critics didn't care for it. Audiences ignored it. It's still one of my favorite comedies. I don't care if it's dumb. It's dumbly hilarious.

And the king ...

BLADE RUNNER. Panned by critics. Ignored by audiences. It is the greatest movie ever made.
The critics I read all loved BR2049. And the complaints I heard from the audience were actually reasons for me to like it. But I clearly saw that BR2049 was for people who loved the original, and the fact is that not much of the audience ever liked the original.

After watching it, a friend at work asked me simply, "Is it a worthy sequel to the original?" and I merely had to say, "It definitely was. If you liked the original, you will like this sequel." He saw it and readily agreed.

Notice, I pointed out that Valerian failed in all the aspects that I considered:

1. I didn't like it for certain critical reasons.
2. The critics across the board didn't like it for the same critical reasons.
3. The rest of the audience didn't like it (as shown by dismal box office) and those surveyed cited the same critical reasons.
4. Obviously every movie that reaches release must have been liked by somebody. But with Valarian, even people who liked it cited the same critical complaints, but gave it a pass on other issues.

Only after all that did it really make my "bad movie" list, as opposed to my "movies I don't personally like" list.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM

6,456 posts, read 4,480,240 times
Saw it a few weeks ago. While it wasn't as good as the original (that one is kinda impossible to beat anyway. It will go down in history as one of the cinematic classics), it was still excellent.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 5,425,317 times
Quote:
So did you like Tomorrowland, or are you just spinning for the exercise?

I saw it in cable late one night. I didn't hate it, but I'm sure glad I didn't spend $40 seeing it at the theater with my wife. I might have been annoyed in that case.

There are certainly movies I have adored that most people ignored, didn't understand, or didn't like. Bladerunner 2049, for instance. I liked that well enough to immediately watch it twice, and that's not something I do even for movies I really like.

OTOH, when I think a movie is a dog for specific critical reasons, all the critics call it a dog for the same critical reasons, and it also does sorry box office with a whole lot of other people citing the same critical reasons...then it probably really is a dog even if a few other folk like it. Valarian, for instance.
i haven't seen it (tomorrowland) yet. i also don't let critic choose my movies. so to recap; other people (don't choose my movies) and critics (don't choose my movies). oh and random internet posts (don't choose my movies). and i pay $4 on senior Wednesdays to see a movie. forty bucks! highway robbery.

but someone with similar tastes in movies does have credence on what movie I choose. so, I may pass on this due sto Mark S.' comments.

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 07-12-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies