Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,596,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I do wonder what percentage of movies are adapted from books, magazine articles, old television programs as well as comic book publishers finally getting more creative control over their own creations? Why doesn't Hollywood come up with fresh ideals? Perhaps Star Wars is the exception and reworking a Louie L'Amour or Jack Kirby story is the rule.
Star Wars is the exception to what? That's an old franchise, too. You should be complaining about it. Why do some people consider Star Wars immune to this sort of complaint? The last two movies are a new take on the overaching theme of the original trilogy, and a deeper look at the mission to steal the Death Star plans. Only now, forty years later, was it announced that Rian Johnson is going to develop a new trilogy that has nothing to do with the characters from the existing movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When did they ever? When did Hollywood not adapt literary works?
Probably only when they were cranking out formulaic westerns in the 1930s-1960s.

TONS of movies are made from comics/graphic novels. A lot of people don't know Atomic Blonde is one of them. Same with Men In Black, Mystery Men, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V For Vendetta, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would agree and they are all identical to each other, a bad guy or group of bad guys come along, for awhile it looks like the bad guys might have the upper hand and defeat the super heroes, but eventually they are defeated in dramatic fashion...this same tired old plots are getting boring.

They need to explore other storylines, maybe have the bad guys come out on top some of the time, that would be more realistic anyway.
Really now? You mean you'd like a darker take on superheroes? Back in 2009, then-WB main dude Jeff Robinov had this to say:

Quote:
Like the recent Batman sequel — which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far — Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as “The Dark Knight.” Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.’ DC properties. “We’re going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it,” he says. That goes for the company’s Superman franchise as well.
Music to my ears.

And that's exactly what Zack Snyder delivered with Watchmen and Man of Steel. Michael Shannon's General Zod is probably the best supervillain after Heath Ledger's Joker (yes, better than Loki, duh).

And then the whining began, and it hasn't stopped, with anonymous Twitter and forum users going as far as wishing him unpleasant business for making a Superman movie that didn't ape the Reeve movies.

I'd like WB to continue being the yang to Marvel's yin (or vice versa), but it looks like they're going to keep trying to streamline things.

As far as the frequency of CBMs go, I remember a time when I had to wait years for one to show. Hell, I remember it took years for an announcement. Then we started getting one every two years. Then twice a year. You don't have to go see any of them if you don't want to. (Like Irwin Fletcher said, "Is this Russia?")

How about all those mob movies? Aren't they all similarly themed? The new generation's groomed to take over "the business," then the Don realizes he may not be up to the task, so they have to do something about him, or TO him. Yeah, a lot of them are like that. TCM even showed a ridiculously obscure '70s mob flick called Like Father, Like Son (which they haven't aired since), and it was the exact same song and dance. Or you have a guy who's considering going straight and selling everyone out. Those are the two main tropes, and there's hardly any deviation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 03:35 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,043,631 times
Superhero movies are easy to make and have an established fan base behind them. They already have a source material to fall back on.

Same thing with remakes. They have the source material, maybe fans of the original, and just have to tweak some things.

Easy peachy booty squeezey!

Old 11-27-2017, 03:46 PM

Most remakes suck.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Most remakes suck.
I dunno about that. I think it's closer to fifty-fifty, particularly when you include old remakes of very old originals.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I dunno about that. I think it's closer to fifty-fifty, particularly when you include old remakes of very old originals.
They mostly suck. A few off the top of my eyeballs:

About Last Night
Shaft
Poltergeist
Ghostbusters
Gone in 60 Seconds
Ben-Hur
Last House on the Left
The Stepford Wives
RoboCop
The Fog
Poseidon (remake of The Poseidon Adventure)
The Jackal (remake of Day of the Jackal)
Friday the 13th (sue me, I love the original)
Day of the Dead (especially after a great Dawn remake by Z. Snyder)

Bonus:

Superman Returns (remake masquerading as an original movie)

Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
They mostly suck. A few off the top of my eyeballs:

About Last Night
Shaft
Poltergeist
Ghostbusters
Gone in 60 Seconds
Ben-Hur
Last House on the Left
The Stepford Wives
RoboCop
The Fog
Poseidon (remake of The Poseidon Adventure)
The Jackal (remake of Day of the Jackal)
Friday the 13th (sue me, I love the original)
Day of the Dead (especially after a great Dawn remake by Z. Snyder)

Bonus:

Superman Returns (remake masquerading as an original movie)
Some better remakes of earlier films:

The Departed (2006)
The Sound of Music (1965)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
The Birdcage (1996)
12 Monkeys (1995)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
The Thing (1982)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Scarface (1983)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The Omega Man (1971)

Old 11-28-2017, 05:53 AM

22,895 posts, read 28,171,272 times
Quote:
Some better remakes of earlier films:

The Departed (2006)
The Sound of Music (1965)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
The Birdcage (1996)
12 Monkeys (1995)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
The Thing (1982)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Scarface (1983)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The Omega Man (1971)
And ...

The Magnificent Seven
A Bug's Life
King Kong
True Lies
The Fly
True Grit
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Remakes can be good. Remakes can be bad. It depends on who is making the movie and why. The fact that it is a remake isn't a deciding factor in the equation.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:00 PM

More sucky remakes:

Point Break (more like NO point!)
Vanishing Point (same deal, NO point in remaking a classic when you can't improve it)
Straw Dogs (ditto)
Arthur (LOL, can't believe they remade that)
Carrie (ditto, and another time as a TV pilot)
Halloween
The Haunting
Meet Joe Black
The Amityville Horror

Oldboy (really, what the heck?)
House on Haunted Hill
Assault on Precinct 13
(this was better than I expected it to be, but the original makes it unnecessary)

When I say "mostly," it means more often than not. It doesn't everything.

Here are some good ones you guys missed:

Nosferatu
Night of the Living Dead (Tom Savini's 1990 remake)
Village of the Damned
The Wolfman

Solaris

...and one of the best ever, more parody than outright remake:

Young Frankenstein (bet you guys didn't know that!)

Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And ...

The Magnificent Seven
A Bug's Life
King Kong
True Lies
The Fly
True Grit
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Remakes can be good. Remakes can be bad. It depends on who is making the movie and why. The fact that it is a remake isn't a deciding factor in the equation.
Kaufman's Invasion will always be the best film. Ferrara, a good director, couldn't get near it with his '90s redo.

The remake of True Grit was alright, mostly for the cast, but it fizzles out at the end.

Can you be more specific about TM7? I really hope you don't mean the recent one.

Peter Jackson's King Kong doesn't hold up beyond the special effects. The overall story is a coaster.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:38 PM

22,895 posts, read 28,171,272 times
Quote:
Carrie (ditto, and another time as a TV pilot)
I actually kinda liked the TV version. It isn't great and doesn't hold a candle to DePalma's movie, but it isn't bad.

Quote:
The Wolfman[/i]
The one with Benicio del Toro? No. That movie is awful.

Quote:
...and one of the best ever, more parody than outright remake:

Young Frankenstein (bet you guys didn't know that!)
Absolutely. One of the funniest movies ever made. The reason it (and to a lesser degree Blazing Saddles) works so well is that it is obvious that Brooks and Wilder have a genuine and deep love for the original source material. It is satire, but done with obvious love and affection.

The same cannot be said of Space Balls, which is just making fun of a genre that Brooks obviously finds silly and doesn't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies