Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

I just saw it. I am glad I saw it, but it was big. As a major marvel fan, I think in many way this was a movie for the fans rather than for non comic books fans because there is a lot that makes sense if you know about thing that are not from the movies.

There is an easter egg final scene, make sure you stay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 05:15 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Just saw it, great movie and I would put it as the best Marvel movie ever

Not predictable in any way and I’ll have to watch it again. Amazing fight scenes

Old 04-27-2018, 06:02 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
One reviewer mentioned that, pointing out that when this was filmed they clearly had no idea the juggernaut Black Panther would become, so he's treated about as significantly as Drax or Falcon. That's going to be a big disappointment to some people I know.
Three years ago, when Spider Man was reintroduced to the MCU, the plan was to release Black Panther this summer (after Infinity War).
Spider-Man: July 28th, 2017
Thor: Ragnarok: November 3rd, 2017
Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1: May 4th, 2018
Black Panther: July 6th, 2018

For over a decade "The Passion of the Christ" was the highest February release (traditionally a very slow month), but then Deadpool had a fantastic opening weekend in 2016. Based on that opening they moved up Black Panther to a February release date (before Infinity Wars)

Now, Ant-Man and the Wasp was given the older Black Panther release date of July 6, 2018

After 7 MCU hits in a row, Ant Man and the Wasp, should make a lot more money than the original film (at least $800 million worldwide). The bar is a lot higher than it was in 2015.

2018 Ant-Man & Wasp
2018 Avengers: Infinity War
2018 Black Panther $1,326
2017 Thor: Ragnarok $854
2017 Spider-Man: Homecoming $880
2017 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $864
2016 Doctor Strange $678
2016 Captain America: Civil War $1,153
2015 Ant-Man $519

FOX Marvel comic movies
2017 Logan Fox $619
2016 Deadpool Fox $783

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-27-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 04-27-2018, 06:20 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Saw it last night with my older two kids. It was...WOW. Still trying to process it. It's A LOT. Right from the start. I shed tears many times, gasped, and sat frozen in awe and amazement. I get the common criticisms and why these "issues" would bother non-comic book fans. Even if it was over-stuffed and over-long by some standards, this was a culmination of a decade's worth of movies and characters fans have grown attached to. I actually liked that there was always something happening and the sequences of events kept things moving along.

Thanos. Holy sht. Speechless.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:

One reviewer mentioned that, pointing out that when this was filmed they clearly had no idea the juggernaut Black Panther would become, so he's treated about as significantly as Drax or Falcon. That's going to be a big disappointment to some people I know.
It wasn’t a disappointment to me and you’re vastly overrating Black Panther’s importance and appeal in the overall Marvel universe.

What skills and charisma does he have that demand more or as much screen time than an Iron Man, captain America, Thor, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, or Hulk? He just had his stand alone movie, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Selling movies is great but that doesn’t mean you have the charisma of iron man or the potential fight scenes of thor. He’s a big cat that kicks and punches, that’s pretty much it.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:57 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It wasn’t a disappointment to me and you’re vastly overrating Black Panther’s importance and appeal in the overall Marvel universe.
How can I be "vastly overrating" Black Panther's power and appeal when that movie has now outgrossed every other superhero movie ever?

Selling movies is not just "great." It's the primary reason producers produce them. Without a doubt, if they had known three years ago how well Black Panther would sell, they'd definitely give that character a bigger role. Whatever will sell more seats--that's how they get to eat their cake and have it too.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
How can I be "vastly overrating" Black Panther's power and appeal when that movie has now outgrossed every other superhero movie ever?
By not understanding the novelty and marketing of such a movie to begin with that made people watch. By not understanding that Black Panther is still non-charismatic and largely boring compared to other superheros. By not understanding the power of Marvel branding on a product.

By not conceding that Avengers Infinity War will easily outgross it while Black Panther takes a back seat with a minor role in the film, so much for "power and appeal."
Quote:
Selling movies is not just "great." It's the primary reason producers produce them. Without a doubt, if they had known three years ago how well Black Panther would sell, they'd definitely give that character a bigger role. Whatever will sell more seats--that's how they get to eat their cake and have it too.
Would've, could've, should've.

Black Panther got his movie, whining about screen time in this one is just silly. Wake me up when Black Panther becomes more fun to watch than Tony Stark and more exciting to fight than Thor.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
By not understanding the novelty and marketing of such a movie to begin with that made people watch. By not understanding that Black Panther is still non-charismatic and largely boring compared to other superheros. By not understanding the power of Marvel branding on a product.

By not conceding that Avengers Infinity War will easily outgross it while Black Panther takes a back seat with a minor role in the film, so much for "power and appeal."

Would've, could've, should've.

Black Panther got his movie, whining about screen time in this one is just silly. Wake me up when Black Panther becomes more fun to watch than Tony Stark and more exciting to fight than Thor.
And yet, the Black Panther movie has outsold any of the Thor and Iron Man movies. Numbers are numbers.

You apparently didn't actually take my comment appropriately in the first place. It apparently triggered you.

I didn't whine at all about his screen time, I mentioned one reviewer's remark. And I do know some people who are going to watch this movie--people who aren't usually superhero movie fans--purely because of his appearance.

If you monitored the Black Panther topic, you may have noted that I'm still amazed Black Panther has done so well. I liked it well enough, but it didn't change my life. I don't actually know why it's so popular.

More likely, it's the producers who are wondering if they shouldn't have had more Black Panther.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
And yet, the Black Panther movie has outsold any of the Thor and Iron Man movies. Numbers are numbers.
And yet, the Black Panther cast was largely underpaid for those numbers, which makes it all the more sad.
Quote:
You apparently didn't actually take my comment appropriately in the first place. It apparently triggered you.

I didn't whine at all about his screen time, I mentioned one reviewer's remark. And I do know some people who are going to watch this movie--people who aren't usually superhero movie fans--purely because of his appearance.
We know how to search for and read reviews, we don’t need you posting about them especially before others get a chance to watch the movie.

But how convenient for you to find the one review that complains about Black Panther. God forbid we don’t get to see those cool superhero powers of punching and kicking in a movie trying to juggle dozens of other superheros with much better powers.
Quote:
If you monitored the Black Panther topic, you may have noted that I'm still amazed Black Panther has done so well. I liked it well enough, but it didn't change my life. I don't actually know why it's so popular.
As I stated before, it’s doing well because of novelty. It’s the first of its time with its theme. It’s different. The movie itself is largely predictable and underwhelming, not worth a second viewing outside the Korean scene.
Quote:
More likely, it's the producers who are wondering if they shouldn't have had more Black Panther.
You can’t say that at this point and there is no evidence up to this point that Inifity War won’t achieve its expected goals.

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-27-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
And yet, the Black Panther cast was largely underpaid for those numbers, which makes it all the more sad.

We know how to search for and read reviews, we don’t need you posting about them especially before others get a chance to watch the movie.

But how convenient for you to find the one review that complains about Black Panther. God forbid we don’t get to see those cool superhero powers of punching and kicking in a movie trying to juggle dozens of other superheros with much better powers.

As I stated before, it’s doing well because of novelty. It’s the first of its time with its theme. It’s different. The movie itself is largely predictable and underwhelming, not worth a second viewing outside the Korean scene.

You can’t say that at this point and there is no evidence up to this point that Inifity War won’t achieve its expected goals.
Triggered, dude. You're just triggered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies