Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Just watch it...now waiting for the next one as this end leaves you....

Great movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 09:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times
https://twitter.com/TheThreadpool/st...35843521552384

Old 08-30-2018, 04:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
I wonder if I should watch a 'Things you need to know' video first. I started this movie and thought 'Why didn't I re-watch Civil War first?' and then I haven't seen all the Marvel movies. I have no idea who Thanos is which I thought wouldn't matter but it sort of does. Friends tell me they are all 'stand-alone' and I don't need to know anything but I DO, lol!

Before Civil War I did 'homework', having only seen Iron Man 1-3 before. I was assigned Captain America. Winter Soldier. One of the hulk movies. Ant-man, and I forget what else now.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:25 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I wonder if I should watch a 'Things you need to know' video first. I started this movie and thought 'Why didn't I re-watch Civil War first?' and then I haven't seen all the Marvel movies. I have no idea who Thanos is which I thought wouldn't matter but it sort of does. Friends tell me they are all 'stand-alone' and I don't need to know anything but I DO, lol!

Before Civil War I did 'homework', having only seen Iron Man 1-3 before. I was assigned Captain America. Winter Soldier. One of the hulk movies. Ant-man, and I forget what else now.
Oh, wow... You are really behind, jencam. The MCU is one of the most connected series of movies in movie history. But the movies that you definitely need to see in order to fully understand Infinity War, and in this order are:

1. The Avengers

2. Captain America: The Winter Solider

3. The Avengers: Age of Ultron (aka The Avengers 2)

4. Captain America: Civil War

5. Black Panther

6. Thor: Ragnarok

Also, you can throw in the Guardians of the Galaxy, which has some related stuff, however, I need to see that again.

AND MAKE SURE YOU WAIT AROUND AND WATCH THE VARIOUS END CREDIT SCENES OF THOSE MOVIES.(And some of them have multiple end credit scenes.)

And after that, you should read this article, which shows how all of the Marvel movies are related, but only after watching the above movies because this article contains spoilers:

Avengers: Infinity War represents the past, present, and future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 PM

I'm glad you agree I DO need to know as many characters as possible. Otherwise so many parts of the movie would be meaningless to me.

I explained it wrongly before. First I only watched Iron Man. Then the commercials for the FIRST Avengers movie, not Civil War, is what caused me to do 'homework': Captain America, Winter Solider, Two different Hulk movies (Edward Norton, and whoever plays him now), Ant-man, which I didn't love but I got his origin story, Dr Strange, another one I didn't finish but got his origin story down, but I felt I understood Thor well enough and skipped that one. That's the only one on your list I didn't watch, is that where Thanos would have been explained to me?

Can't I just read something about Thanos to understand Infinity War? And refresh my memory on how Civil War ended. I asked for it from the library but forgot they close early on Friday. I won't get it in time before Infinity War is due back. We only get a week with movies with a wait. I'm sure Infinity War has a long wait......

Old 09-01-2018, 12:24 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,288 times
Quote:
I'm glad you agree I DO need to know as many characters as possible. Otherwise so many parts of the movie would be meaningless to me.

I explained it wrongly before. First I only watched Iron Man. Then the commercials for the FIRST Avengers movie, not Civil War, is what caused me to do 'homework': Captain America, Winter Solider, Two different Hulk movies (Edward Norton, and whoever plays him now), Ant-man, which I didn't love but I got his origin story, Dr Strange, another one I didn't finish but got his origin story down, but I felt I understood Thor well enough and skipped that one. That's the only one on your list I didn't watch, is that where Thanos would have been explained to me?
Well, no not really. One of the end credit scenes of Ragnarok depicts what happened right before the beginning of Infinity War. Plus, it shows how after Odin died and Asgard was destroyed, how that gave Thanos a better opportunity to seize the other Infinity Stones. Also, one of the end credit scenes of The Avengers helps to show how Thanos was behind the attack on earth.

The Avengers "A New Threat" End Credit Clip Official 2012 [HD 1080]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Z4JlBceuLgY

Plus, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 has quite a bit about Thanos in it.

Quote:
Can't I just read something about Thanos to understand Infinity War? And refresh my memory on how Civil War ended. I asked for it from the library but forgot they close early on Friday. I won't get it in time before Infinity War is due back. We only get a week with movies with a wait. I'm sure Infinity War has a long wait......
You can read the link that I provided in my other post if you don't mind spoilers. Also, Civil War ended with the Avengers divided, which weakened Earth's defense against Thanos. Plus, this might help:

What You Need To Know Before You See Infinity War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ueRoRRfJ0

Also, that will be $67.37.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:36 AM

LOL. Ok a 'What you need to know before watching' video is probably the way to go. I am through with homework. I want to cheat, cliff notes, etc.

I AM glad I saw both Captain America and Winter Soldier. Those were good. I like what I call my core characters, the Avengers, and I do not care about Guardians of the Galaxy at all. There is no way I can sit through those to make Infinity War better/understand it more.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:07 AM

Oh hey, check is in the mail, I promise. Captain America's shield is from Wakanda? How did that happen? He's had it a really long time................................

Old 09-01-2018, 05:32 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Two different Hulk movies (Edward Norton, and whoever plays him now), ......
Sorry you did not see Mark Ruffalo, the actor playing him now, in a Hulk movie. He has only appeared in The Avengers movies and Thor Ragnarok along with a post credits scene.

The Hulk is like Spider-Man a character who was sold off to save Marvel Comics and his owners have in effect loaned him to Marvel Studios for use in the interconnected MCU after appearing in non MCU films over the years.

While Edward Norton's version is considered MCU canon, thus part of the stories in Infinity War, the first big screen Hulk movie "Hulk" in 2003 with Eric Bana is not part of the interconnected story from Iron Man to Ant-Man and The Wasp so far. I guess there is a slight chance you saw a Hulk TV movie or episodes from the Bill Bixby/ Doctor Banner and Lou Ferrigno/the creature The Incredible Hulk TV series.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:29 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
LOL. Ok a 'What you need to know before watching' video is probably the way to go. I am through with homework. I want to cheat, cliff notes, etc.

I AM glad I saw both Captain America and Winter Soldier. Those were good. I like what I call my core characters, the Avengers, and I do not care about Guardians of the Galaxy at all. There is no way I can sit through those to make Infinity War better/understand it more.
The GoG movies actually give you everything there is to know so far about Thanos' backstory.

His relationship with his "daughters" plays heavily in Infinity Wars and (if the comics story is any guide) will play very heavily in the next movie. There are some points in Infinity War that won't really hit home if you don't know more about Gamora, Nebula, the relationship between them and their relationship with Thanos.

GoG is probably more important to actually watch than Black Panther, in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies