Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 02:18 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, horror movies and dystopias are two major exceptions to my point. Yeah, I'd banished "John Carpenter's 'The Thing'" from my mind. Now it's back.
And how could we forget HALLOWEEN??? Shame on us all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 02:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Deckard is not a good guy. Deckard is the villain. It's just that he doesn't finally admit it and act upon it until the end. Roy Batty is the hero. And he loses in the end.
No, Baty succeeds in his real quest the same way Officer K succeeds. Baty does not understand his real quest until the end.

Reminds me of the line from "Jesus Christ-Superstar": "To conquer death, first you have to die."

Old 03-06-2018, 02:51 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Travis is not a hero. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a villain, but he sure isn't a good guy. The real villain of that movie is probably society, and it definitely wins in the end.

Ditto previous answer. Granted, this morality is much clearer in the book than in the movie.
Antihero.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:22 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, Baty succeeds in his real quest the same way Officer K succeeds. Baty does not understand his real quest until the end.
Batty isn't trying to accept death. He's trying to survive. He fails, and when that realization hits him, he decides to kill his creator, then kill Deckard ... until he has a change of heart.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk
Quote:
Batty isn't trying to accept death. He's trying to survive. He fails, and when that realization hits him, he decides to kill his creator, then kill Deckard ... until he has a change of heart.
You really kind of repeated what I said.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That was originally how Justice League Part 1 + 2 were supposed to go: Steppenwolf was to mop the floor with a Superman-less League in Part 1, which would end on a cliffhanger. Superman wouldn't fully rejoin the League until Part 2, the movie that introduced Darkseid as the real threat.

But WB got the jitters and thought a "fun, balanced" Avenger-ly movie was the way to go. "More jokes!"

I'm curious to see how hard the Avengers get their a$$es kicked in Infinity War.
JL would have been MUCH better the way you described, it was ridiculous how easy it was for Superman to defeat Steppenwolf, he was not even a threat, at no point was it even a challenge for superman, that one line of superman made me laugh..."is this guy (steppenwolf) still bothering you?" speaking to wonder woman.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
JL would have been MUCH better the way you described, it was ridiculous how easy it was for Superman to defeat Steppenwolf, he was not even a threat, at no point was it even a challenge for superman, that one line of superman made me laugh..."is this guy (steppenwolf) still bothering you?" speaking to wonder woman.
Zack Snyder's been more active on Vero lately. We suspect a "director's cut" might not be so far-fetched now.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:37 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Black Widow is even in the Avengers.

An indestructible green giant? Check.

An indestructible flying Norse god who can summon lightning bolts? Check.

A super solider? Check.

An international arms dealer wearing a suit of the highest tech weaponry? Check.

A mutant who can manipulate the very molecular bonds of the physical universe? Check.

A martial artist with a semi-automatic pistol who looks good in black leather?

A guy with a bow an arrow?

I know right. Makes me laugh every time I think or try not to think on it. Still, I'll likely see this movie.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:12 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,115 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Black Widow is even in the Avengers.

An indestructible green giant? Check.

An indestructible flying Norse god who can summon lightning bolts? Check.

A super solider? Check.

An international arms dealer wearing a suit of the highest tech weaponry? Check.

A mutant who can manipulate the very molecular bonds of the physical universe? Check.

A martial artist with a semi-automatic pistol who looks good in black leather?

A guy with a bow an arrow?
Um... diversity?

Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Um... diversity?
I think the question is how in the hell can these “superhero’s” with no actual powers last 2 minutes in any battle, especially going up against someone like Thanos? But yeah, it’s just a fantasy comic book movie, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies