Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 02:26 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,424,520 times

Advertisements

FF to the scene where he and Baby eventually have sex and pay attention to the conversation. Baby tries to explain her father. Having nothing to do with the pregnancy. Johnny isn't mad at Jake at all. He says 'People treat me like **** because I am ****' and then the conversation goes another way, w/o her ever getting to explain her father.

Baby tried to say it has nothing to do with him, it's about HER with her Dad. How rigid he is over her decisions. She later has it out with her Dad about that.

Then jump to the argument between then. Baby lacks the guts to tell her father about him. She always did, even before the Dad knew anything about any pregnancy.

Johnny accuses her of never having any intent to tell her father about him, which is true.

They did beam that the Dad admitted he was wrong, but in the same breath he turned to her and said 'You were wonderful up there', the main thing was that he approved of HER again. He forgave her. By then they had decided to part ways. They didn't need Jake to approve of him anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 02:39 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,039,849 times
Oh okay, I didn't think that Johnny was mad at Jake at all.

As for Johnny accusing her of never having any intent of to tell her father about him, I thought Johnny was one to talk cause Johnny took the rap for getting Penny pregnant and chose to dig his own hole. So I thought he knew he did that and was one to talk therefore.

But I could watch it again and see.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, I didn't think that Johnny was mad at Jake at all.

As for Johnny accusing her of never having any intent of to tell her father about him, I thought Johnny was one to talk cause Johnny took the rap for getting Penny pregnant and chose to dig his own hole. So I thought he knew he did that and was one to talk therefore.

But I could watch it again and see.
We have gotten nowhere. I know your friends told you that, but no, he didn't take the rap and didn't know the Dad even thought that. I just watched it again myself! They had NO IDEA Jake thought that until Johnny goes to talk to him at the end and Jake spits out that accusation.

At the time they first met, the issue was the abortion only. The Dad glowered at him when he tried to thank him. He was FURIOUS with Baby over the ABORTION. They assumed that is why he was angry at Johnny too. And for Johnny, he thinks so little of himself that he expected someone as amazing as Dr. Houseman to see him as **** regardless.

His entire mind was on PENNY. He didn't care at all what Jake thought about anything at that time. Penny's life was in danger. He LOVES Penny like family. That Dr. had ripped into her with no 'ether'. Besides the excruciating pain, she could have died from infection. Anything the Dad thought went totally over Johnny's head. Last thing on his mind.

Only Jake and we the audience knows before the end that Jake thought that Johnny got Penny pregnant. And the audience couldn't even be sure. Because the abortion alone was enough to hate Johnny for.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:04 AM

Oh okay, but if what the dad thought was the last thing on Johnny's mind, then why did Johnny not like it when Baby chose not to tell him about them? Like Johnny accuses Baby of not having any intent of telling her Dad about them. Why would Johnny care about Baby telling the Dad about them, if he doesn't care what Jake thinks?

Old 09-03-2018, 03:07 AM

PS, there was never a need for anyone to take the 'rap'. IDK why your friends think that. The issue was not that she'd get fired for sleeping with Robbie (he was also staff, no rule breaking there).

Her job was in danger because she couldn't dance pregnant, and couldn't dance and have an abortion on the same night. If she missed a gig, they'd both have lost that year's salary and not get hired back the next year.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, but if what the dad thought was the last thing on Johnny's mind, then why did Johnny not like it when Baby chose not to tell him about them? Like Johnny accuses Baby of not having any intent of telling her Dad about them. Why would Johnny care about Baby telling the Dad about them, if he doesn't care what Jake thinks?
I said in the moment in time that Penny's life was in danger he didn't care. Later, he does care because now he loves Baby and wants her to stand up to her Dad by telling him that he is her guy.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:12 AM

Ok I can accept that, so he does care later. But here is what I don't get. He thinks he is a piece of crap who will not be able to seek Jake's approval.

Later on, when Jake accuses him to his face of getting Penny pregnant, he doesn't even bother to correct how he was mislead, cause he doesn't think he will get the approval, right?

But why does he think that Baby can get the approval for him though, when he wants her to do it? Like it just seems like a character inconsistency cause he is unwilling to stand up for himself and correct what Jake assumed, yet he wants Baby to tell her Dad, that he is her guy. It seems like an inconsistency to me.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:23 AM

He didn't ask Baby to get her father's approval. He asked Baby to stop being a hypocrite and stand up to her father. To say this is my guy, like it or don't like it. Ideally, he would have liked approval, but he wasn't asking for that.

That is a step too far for Baby until she has to do it to save him from the stealing charge. Be his alibi. And even then it's excruciating for her.

After that is when she finds him sitting, losing his mind over this news (and realize another element here, she has lost her virginity and that in and of itself is super-hard for him) and she finally does stand up to him and gives her speech about that.

This father and daughter are extremely close, they've been ripped apart, and then heal. That is another huge part of the plot. Johnny is almost inconsequential in that. Baby coming of age is the hardest thing to ever happen to Jake!

If Johnny hadn't 'moved on to his young daughter' the hatred would not be so intense.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 AM

Okay thanks, but I thought Johnny was not in the right position to consider her a hypocrite for not being able to stand up to her father, when he can't even stand up for himself to him, unless I am wrong?

Also I didn't really see Baby as having come of age. I mean just because she falls in love with this and sleeps with him, does not mean she came of age, does it?

Old 09-03-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Later on, when Jake accuses him to his face of getting Penny pregnant, he doesn't even bother to correct how he was mislead, cause he doesn't think he will get the approval, right?
Johnny has some pride. Remember he was pissed off when Baby assumed that in the beginning. She had no malice. She just thought they seemed like a couple. But as low as he thinks of himself, he is outraged that she thinks he would get a woman pregnant and not do the right thing (which at that time would have been to marry her and take a job with the painting union).

He is outraged again when the father thinks that. He grits his teeth and says 'yeah, you would think that wouldn't you'. He doesn't care about trying to correct him. His response is like well **** you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies