Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:55 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times

Advertisements

I had to google it because I'd never heard of it.

Not for me, my morals and ethics tend to steer me away from wanting to watch interracial/homosexual/adultery/etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,004,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Not for me, my morals and ethics tend to steer me away from wanting to watch interracial/homosexual/adultery/etc...
Your morals steer you away from interracial? Wth?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,376,651 times
I saw the movie with my son when I was visiting him in Toronto last year. His girlfriend's dad, Ulf (who was visiting from Sweden, and about 10 years older than me, so in his late 60s, I think) also came with us.

For me, I thought it was just okay. A tiny bit unique, parts of it were entertaining, the main actor was good, but overall I found it to be predictable (I was surprised at the number of award nominations it's received). Overall, I didn't feel like I wasted my money - probably just because it was fun to get out and do something different - but it wasn't a movie I'd have the urge to see more than once.

My son (in his 30s), on the other hand, absolutely loved it and kept asking me "what did you think of xxx?" and "the part with xxx was really good!". I got a kick out of my son's enthusiasm, but was sort of laughing internally because he hadn't noticed until we were on our way home that Ulf was really, really quiet. So when my son asked him what he thought of the movie, Ulf paused, and then started to say something...then stopped and said, 'mmm...okay'. He had absolutely hated it, I'm sure; before we had gone to the movie he'd told us that he loved mysteries and thrillers, but I don't think that "Get Out" really equated to his type of entertainment. He just seemed to be relieved to be out of the theatre once it ended.

It seems like younger audiences really like it, but older generation...nah. Or so I'm guessing.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
It was pretty good, but usually in these movies, they have the 'bad guys' win out in the end, Skeleton Key is a good example, there are a handful of other movies that have this same plot as well.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,054,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The point was to make you think they were being hypnotized only to reveal that it wasn't even that. They weren't being hypnotized, they were basically dead, their bodies being taken over by white people. There was a sliver of themselves left but what are you going to do? Put flashes in their faces all the time? Even so, they are never going to come back fully, that's why the gardener killed himself when he had a moment of clarity.
He got the cotton from the chair stuffing when he was scratching the chair. Are you really going to question whether cotton would block out sound? You overthink things.
Well I work in a loud factory in my job, wear I wear earplugs, so the questioning of the cotton automatically came to mind cause of that. I might have picked up on the cotton symbolism as I watched the movie, but cannot remember, as I could have just forgotten about it after the movie was over.

And yeah I get that they were not actually hypnotized, but I still feel they foreshadowed too much. I think that maybe they should have not have foreshadowed that anything was wrong with the black characters at all, with the creepy music and let the audience figure out.

I mean you are saying it's good because they are foreshadowing a false twist, when in fact they real twist is another twist, right. But I just thought it would be better to not foreshadow a false twist at all, and let the surprises come naturally.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,004,086 times
I think it's a more frightening version of Being John Malkovich.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:15 PM

50,467 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am guessing that everyone who was blown away by the movie has never seen The Stepford Wives though, is that right? Because of the fact that I have seen The Stepford Wives, I knew exactly what was going to happen really early on, and I predicted, and it turned out I was right.

So for me there were no surprises, but is that because I saw The Stepford Wives first?
I saw that film. Didn't impress me.

This one did.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I would LOVE an explanation on what morals have to do with interracial!!??

Old 01-14-2018, 04:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
I thought lot it was just overhyped
And personally while I thought the guy playing his buddy was funny, I thought part of that performance harkened back to roles blacks had in films that now are considered stereotypical and demeaning
I am thinking about the Willie Best type roles roles

Anyone see a movie called Ghost Breakers with Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard where there is voodoo magic on Caribbean island?

Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,054,013 times
I actually thought that the buddy friend, was re-doing the kind of role that Anthony Anderson plays in movies, such as Transformers, but not sure if I saw it as stereotypical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies