Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:04 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that everyone who was blown away by the movie has never seen The Stepford Wives though, is that right? Because of the fact that I have seen The Stepford Wives, I knew exactly what was going to happen really early on, and I predicted, and it turned out I was right.

So for me there were no surprises, but is that because I saw The Stepford Wives first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am guessing that everyone who was blown away by the movie has never seen The Stepford Wives though, is that right?
Nope. I'd seen The Stepford Wives long before I went to see Get Out and found myself impressed with it.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM

I mean don't get me wrong, Get Out, is still a considerably good movie, I just felt that they foreshadowed the twists too much perhaps.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I mean don't get me wrong, Get Out, is still a considerably good movie, I just felt that they foreshadowed the twists too much perhaps.
It foreshadowed that brains were being switched? I don't think so.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It foreshadowed that brains were being switched? I don't think so.
Oh crap why did I read so far in this thread? LOL! Oh well...............looks good from the trailers.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 PM

Well, since I went there...
The foreshadowing leads you to think they're being hypnotized into their behavior, not that they are viewing it from the sunken place. There's an awareness there that Stepford doesn't have.

Imo, you're missing a lot of the subtext.
1- the way he frees himself is by using cotton... the exact same thing that enslaved black people

2- the final scene when you think it's the cops isn't felt as a relief to the victim but it is to the girlfriend. Notice how she flips right away to "help me" (from this scary black man) and he puts his hands up

3- how much easier it is to kidnap them and no one looks for them

And so on...

Old 01-12-2018, 11:02 PM

But I don't think it should have foreshadowed that they were being mind controlled at all, and try to hide it as much as they could to let the viewers figure it out for themselves. Every time a black person in the town, besides the main character appears, they play this creepy music letting the audience know that something is wrong. I felt the foreshadowing wasn't necessary, and just let the viewer figure out.

I mean it's like if in a movie like Rear Window, Hitchcock decided to have creepy music play, whenever Jimmy Stewart looked towards a certain window. Then he would be foreshadowing too much to the audience that whatever happens in this window is going to be BAD, and it would give too much away to the audience all the time.

It just works better to keep things silent without the creepy music and just let it play out naturally. Or even in The Stepford Wives they didn't have creepy music playing whenever a Stepford Wife was on screen. It would have ruined it.

I understood the subtext to points 2 and 3, but didn't see the cotton one. I didn't know that he used cotton cause it shows him pull something out of his ear and drop it but I didn't know it was cotton specifically. Thought it was earplugs or something. Wish they got the camera in closer to reveal it was cotton, or perhaps I just missed it. Would cotton even work to block out sound as well, since it's not exactly the most sound resistant?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
I think it was obvious from the start that they were all hypnotised and that his gf was a villain, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 AM

It was still enjoyable to a point, it's just whenever the black people are on screen, I felt like the director was hammering me over the head with it, like yeah, I get it. But this is really my only complain, plus maybe I didn't like how the main character doesn't double two of the villains and make sure they're dead, but that's about it.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 AM

The point was to make you think they were being hypnotized only to reveal that it wasn't even that. They weren't being hypnotized, they were basically dead, their bodies being taken over by white people. There was a sliver of themselves left but what are you going to do? Put flashes in their faces all the time? Even so, they are never going to come back fully, that's why the gardener killed himself when he had a moment of clarity.
He got the cotton from the chair stuffing when he was scratching the chair. Are you really going to question whether cotton would block out sound? You overthink things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies