U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 PM

1,404 posts, read 491,665 times

Advertisements

I saw it and it was kind of good, kind of not for me. The main problem I have with the movie is I feel the director foreshadows too much, and it's almost in your face.

SPOILERS

Basically for the first half, whenever the main character, Chris sees a black person, the filmmakers decide to play this eerie suspense music, to suggest that something is dead wrong here. But we can already tell that from the acting and the behavior, and we do not need music to drive it home. It just feels overdone otherwise.

The director does this in other ways, by deciding certain camera shots that drive it home too much too. For example, when we see the maid talking to Chris in the bedroom, she is about 15 feet away from Chris, yet the filmmakers decide to shoot her in a close up shot with a really wide lens, like she's in your face, wanting to drive the point home that something is wrong with her, and feels like it's been shoved in your face, rather than from Chris's more natural perspective.

I mean in other suspense movies like Rear Window for example, they don't have lead up music most of the time, and they don't have over the top angles to foreshadow. They just allow the audience to figure it out on their own, and I thought that would have been better.

Also the movie's premise kind of feels behind the times. There have been so many movies about racism in a U.S. setting lately, such as Django Unchained, 12 Years A Slave, The Birth of a Nation (2016 one), and Moonlight, that it just feels like we have seen this theme dealt with so much before.

I mean it's dealt with in a more unique thriller plot, but it feels like The Stepford Wives, and they just replaced with the wives with African-American people.

Perhaps if this movie came out in the 90s, the racism themes would have felt more fresh compared to now. Or maybe if they wanted to make it more unique, they could have switched it around and had a town full of African-American people, who brainwash white people into being their slaves.

It would have gotten audiences talking a lot more in comparison for sure. I also thought it was kind of cheesy that the father gave that whole big villain speech about how we are all Gods in a cocoon, and all that. It just came off as a cheesy mustache twirly speech that came out of nowhere. The villain doesn't even need to talk at all, we still understand their motivations enough to make sense I think. Or at least come up with a better explanation than Gods in a cocoon.

I also though the third act was kind of frustrating, how Chris chooses to leave his enemies alive, just so they can come back and get him later, and he chooses not to leave when he should, like stopping to help saved one of the brainwashed people, which just make things worse.

I also question how the villain girlfriend character, was wearing headphones, and not able to hear her own brother being beaten to death with a blunt object downstairs, yet she totally heard a car crash outside, like 200 feet away from the house.

But all in all, there are a lot of moments in the movie as well, and genuine surprises that worked. So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 09:00 PM

3,193 posts, read 1,642,468 times
Hated it. It was a poor rip off of the skeleton key.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 AM

1,634 posts, read 478,042 times
I loved the Skeleton Key and didn't pay much attention to Get Out as it didn't hold my interest. I may have to watch it again since it's now being called the picture of the year in a few places. Obviously I missed a lot and if I didn't, well, I'll see what I think if I can get a copy from the library again.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Well a lot of people I talked to said they were surprised by the twist. However, this movie is so much like The Stepford Wives, that you see the twist coming a mile away, or at least I did.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:34 PM

14,954 posts, read 6,912,204 times
I must admit up front that I am into the more “old-fashioned” horror films, as compared to the more modern slasher-type films. I thought Jordan Peele did quite well here. I’m not saying it’s a “great” film, but I think it’s better than the average horror film that comes out these days. What I found interesting was how he easily weaved in horror with social commentary. Not to mention some humor along the way. And, I think we’ll be seeing quite a bit of Daniel Kaluuya in the future.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 PM

Yeah it's still overall passable for sure, but to say it's better than most is not saying much since horror is the genre where most filmmakers make the least amount of effort though and most of them suck in my opinion.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:00 PM

1,634 posts, read 478,042 times
I wonder if it would have been more impactful to me if I were black. It would be very sad if that was true.

(spoiler alert)
I remember when Deliverance came out and all the male movie critics talked about the most horrible, vile, terrifying villains on film, OMG, run for your life. As a female, I thought oh, ho hum, rapists. Women have been watching this in movies forever.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:26 PM

I'm a guy and I thought the villains in Deliverance were kind of cartoony, and certainly not the most vile villains on film.

Maybe if I were black I would be more emotionally effected by Get Out, but I am just looking at it outside of the main character's shoes, from more of the filmmaking standpoint to what the audience sees. Basically I felt it was too predictable with too much foreshadowing. If this is the best picture of the year it must have been a not good year for movies maybe.

But I'm not American and perhaps and not as familiar with the social divide. The movie doesn't really get into much of a social divide, it just starts out from the main couple's point of view, and I have no sense of how the main character is treated, otherwise, by his place in society.

Plus, whenever I see American movies about racism in the past, it's always set in the past. Nowadays there are so many successful African-Americans, a former African American President, and you see interracial couples on magazine covers all the time, that it really feels like there is hardly a divide anymore, to set this type of subject matter in modern times, compared to the 90s or before. Unless I'm wrong.

Last edited by ironpony; 01-10-2018 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 05:17 PM

3,193 posts, read 1,642,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What I found interesting was how he easily weaved in horror with social commentary.

Kind of how Romero did in most if not all of his films.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM

6,263 posts, read 4,052,047 times
I just thought it and was blown away by it. I'm not black. I'm not even American. I just thought it was super satisfying and fun. If you look it up there are a ton of symbolisms and details in the film which are incredibly cool and unexpected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies