U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 PM

4,495 posts, read 2,756,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yea no it isn't its a classic film you are thinking of the prequel star wars films.
Just because it's a classic doesn't mean it's a well made movie from a filmmaking standpoint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM

5,589 posts, read 2,420,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
One of my biggest Star Wars geek friends said that if you really have a problem with these movies because of the writing, acting etc then maybe you should go watch the Battlestar Galactica reboot because that's what you are looking for not this.
I agree. It's a superior space opera in every way.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 AM

15,061 posts, read 19,696,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Star Wars is now just a cash cow. (To be fair, it always has been since the Lucas days, but you know what I mean).
True. But it's different now.

When Lucas made the first STAR WARS, he made some brilliant licensing deals because he wanted to be out from under the thumbs of studio execs who knew nothing about movies. It worked. Brilliantly! Lucas made so much money off of STAR WARS toys, posters, T shirts, lunch boxes, etc. that he was able to finance THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK himself, giving 20th Century Fox distribution rights, so that he retained complete creative control.

This is when the toy factor crept in. Lots of stuff made it into EMPIRE and JEDI simply to sell toys. So that Lucas could make money. So that he could retain creative control and make the movies he wanted. A lot could be said about Lucas's writing skills, but there is no doubt he genuinely cared about STAR WARS and wanted it to do well.

That remained true even through the prequels. We may not like some of the creative decisions Lucas made there, but there's no doubt he made them because he thought they were good ideas.

That all changed with Disney.

The aim is no longer to make good movies. The aim is to make money. If people continue to pay money to watch trash, Disney will continue to produce trash. Just look at the Disney Channel on TV. All trash. But it makes money, so Disney continues churning it out. They are now doing the same thing with STAR WARS. It's about money.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I agree. It's a superior space opera in every way.
People keep telling me that. I keep trying to get into it. Just can't so far. Boring story and extremely lazy world-building. For budgetary reasons, I'm sure, but it still keeps me from getting in to the show.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
People keep telling me that. I keep trying to get into it. Just can't so far. Boring story and extremely lazy world-building. For budgetary reasons, I'm sure, but it still keeps me from getting in to the show.
If you're referring to the original, I understand. If you're referring to the Ron Moore-produced reboot that aired on SyFy, I think the problem's on your end.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:56 AM

4,495 posts, read 2,756,069 times
Quote:
If you're referring to the original, I understand. If you're referring to the Ron Moore-produced reboot that aired on SyFy, I think the problem's on your end.
It is a little slow but in the good way. Like they give story and characters room to breath and develop

Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to the SyFY remake. I keep trying to get in to it. I think I have lasted maybe five or six episodes before I give up. The story is too slow and I find the worldbuilding lazy and cheap.

It's still way better than FIREFLY though.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The story is too slow and I find the worldbuilding lazy and cheap
Not everything can be Space: 1999 awesome.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 PM

5,036 posts, read 3,323,678 times
They probably should've made a new trilogy instead of integrating the old with new.

The originals had a cast that just worked well together. The new one, aside from Poe, holds little flavor.

It doesn't really feel like Mark or Harrison wanted to come back.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:41 PM

25,333 posts, read 14,461,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
This movie also contradicts a number of things that were established in FA.

- Luke’s motivations are completely off here. In FA he gave R2 the coordinates to his whereabouts so that they could call him if the situation required it. He was basically in exile. In LJ, he says that he doesn’t want to help and came to the planet to die.

-Who are the knights of Ren that helped Kylo hunt down the Jedi?

-How did the First Order become so powerful after the destruction of Starkiller base? Remember they are not supposed to be as powerful as the empire in the OT. This movie takes place right after FA, so they wouldn’t have the time to grow so quickly.
Luke's only lines in The Force Awakens were all stock. All he did was look out into the temple and put his robot hand on R2's head. I actually think R2 had the coordinates himself without Luke's knowledge. Looks like our head-cannon differs.

I think there is at least one Knight of Ren
Spoiler
I thought Hux was pulling for a lightsaber as it looked like he had a hilt on his belt when he discovered the throne room.

As for the First Order, just like the Empire in A New Hope, Starkiller Base was one single base. Their numbers were bigger than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Huh? Force Awakens was basically a mash up of the first three movies with different characters. Nothing original about it whatsoever. Certainly not original in the grand scheme of movies/stories and not original for Star Wars movies. But it was fun as was Rouge One and Last Jedi
The Force Awakens had elements of namely A New Hope but did them differently enough that I couldn't groan at it like I actually did with the crawl for The Last Jedi because I feared it would be The Empire Strikes Back. I never thought Rogue One or The Last Jedi would be fun movies like The Force Awakens. They looked dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I said THE LAST JEDI was more original than the Force Awakens.
By miles The Last Jedi was less Empire Strikes Back than The Force Awakens was A
New Hope
. There was a lot different of a plot in how it went down and what happened, the story was much more risky than Empire's especially with Del Toro's amazing character. The main downside I saw was a lack of Maz, my favorite new character from the Abrams era.

Quote:
I don't know if you've read multiple internet forums, but it's definitely not just "one hacker" who hates the movie. That's BS from Disney who are upset that people don't like the movie.
No you're right, but I loved it, my brother loved it and my sister-in-law loved it. I even debate if it is better than Empire Strikes Back... That said, I do recognize it is at best a polarizing film and it is at best a 70% on the fan-vote Tomato-meter.

Quote:
The movie actually really just flat out sucks. This is coming from one of the biggest Star Wars geeks around. The movie is just bad.
I'm gonna have to disagree. To me, the worst film is Phantom Menace, this isn't that by a long shot which I say is bad compared to the others. This is better than Force Awakens and Rogue One IMHO.

Quote:
I don't get how if people dislike something, it automatically has to be hackers or trolls. Geez, if George Lucas did that when people crapped on The Phantom Menace, they would have laughed at him to bankruptcy.
DC fans had this with the bad Rotten Tomato critic scores, but blamed it on Disney buying them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or