U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM

7,528 posts, read 3,573,713 times

Advertisements

Good go see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 05:03 PM

358 posts, read 149,027 times
A really good read - Why Star Wars fans hate one of the best star wars movies
Quote:
It’s also, nitpicks or genuine critiques notwithstanding, about telling the original batch of Star Wars fans that the franchise isn’t necessarily for them anymore. It’s rather for those who have been waiting on the sidelines (fans who weren’t white men) or fans of all stripes young enough to have fallen for Star Wars through The Force Awakens or Star Wars: Rebels. It’s a weird contradiction in modern fandom, with folks my age (or older) wanting new variations on beloved childhood pop culture icons yet wanting those iterations to appeal more to us than to our kids.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:47 PM

4,582 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Sure, it's one of the better movies since it sits above the prequels.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:58 PM

13,292 posts, read 11,157,673 times
We saw the movie yesterday, and we both enjoyed it. Neither of us are Star Wars nerds. We’ve seen the first three, Rogue and TFA. We did not see the three prequels that drew such bad reviews. I confess I’ve only seen any of these once.

I think they are good for what they are. The Force, as explained by Luke to Rey is claptrap, but the entire movie is enjoyable claptrap. As many movies are.

I am going to say outright that I like the diversity of the cast, and that the central character is female. I think Boyega is made for the big screen, and I loved the intro of Rose. The weakest character IMO was Laura Dern’s character.

One of the things I liked was the importance of the original characters. Now the torch has been passed. The new characters will take over and finish the job,

Star Wars is a space opera. It is fun. It is thrilling. The original movies are not sacred texts.

And don’t fool yourself. There was plenty of commercialization in the first three movies. I bought Star Wars toys for my kids aplenty. Why do you think there were Ewoks in the last movie of the first trilogy?

Old 12-23-2017, 03:42 PM

7,982 posts, read 5,857,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Personally I don't take anything on the internet at face value. I also doubt that Disney cares about what people are saying on forums as long as it keeps crushing the box office. Is anyone going to boycott EP 9 when it comes out? No, it will make more then Ep 8 at the box office the first week.

I think most Star Wars geeks are using revisionist history. How many Star Wars movies or tv shows have actually been great or even good movies when compared to other non Star Wars movies? A New Hope is riddled with terrible acting, cheesy dialogue and plot holes. Empire Strikes Back is generally recognized as the best Star Wars movie and that was made in 1980. The past 37 years of Star Wars has been filled with mediocre at best content. There have been random good/great things like the NPR radio drama, the first Dark Horse comic series, the Genndy Tartaovsky Clone Wars cartoon and the first Knights of the Old Republic game but most stuff has been generic, derivative stuff. And let's not forget 99% of stuff including the Disney movies are aimed at children. One of my biggest Star Wars geek friends said that if you really have a problem with these movies because of the writing, acting etc then maybe you should go watch the Battlestar Galactica reboot because that's what you are looking for not this.

I am also a life long Star Wars geek and I'm fine with it all. Let the past die, kill it if you have to
I see what you did there and I agree.

Star Wars / Franchise Original Sin - TV Tropes

Quote:
The original trilogy has all the elements that would come to be widely criticised in the prequel trilogy, including wooden dialogue, the uninspired romance in The Empire Strikes Back, and the Wacky Wayside Tribe Kid Appeal Characters in Return of the Jedi. Even as early as A New Hope, one can tell that Lucas was mostly focused on the visual aspect of the movie rather than getting the best performances from the actors, to the point where it's been argued that the editors deserve as much credit for "saving" A New Hope as Lucas does for making it. It was a combination of Lucas' vision and his collaborators that helped forge the original trilogy into the well-liked works they are; it also didn't hurt that his actors (particularly Harrison Ford) weren't afraid to ad-lib and improvise to make their performances feel more authentic. As some of Lucas' collaborators went on to other projects and didn't come back for the prequels, combined with massive Protection from Editors, he no longer had that support that kept his weaknesses from showing.
And this is just one example on this page about the issues people are complaining about in the prequels and the new Star Wars trilogy have been present since day one. Of course when something is new and fresh it can get away with a lot of flaws.

FWIW, this is Disney. Everyone should know by now that Disney is about kid-friendly entertainment and selling merchandise. No one complains when Marvel does this though for some reason even though that some of the elements are the same. Even more so know one has complained that the original Star Wars films had been rife with mostly stiff acting and dialogue masked by great special effects since it's very beginning. Only now is it problem because we have grown older and look at films with a more critical eye instead of being easily amused like when we were younger when we first saw the originals.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:58 PM

4,484 posts, read 2,451,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I see what you did there and I agree.

Star Wars / Franchise Original Sin - TV Tropes

And this is just one example on this page about the issues people are complaining about in the prequels and the new Star Wars trilogy have been present since day one. Of course when something is new and fresh it can get away with a lot of flaws.

FWIW, this is Disney. Everyone should know by now that Disney is about kid-friendly entertainment and selling merchandise. No one complains when Marvel does this though for some reason even though that some of the elements are the same. Even more so know one has complained that the original Star Wars films had been rife with mostly stiff acting and dialogue masked by great special effects since it's very beginning. Only now is it problem because we have grown older and look at films with a more critical eye instead of being easily amused like when we were younger when we first saw the originals.
Yes, for some reason Disney largely gets a pass with Marvel. I think it's because 90% of movies and TV based on Marvel franchises were absolute garbage before Disney bought them.

But yes this is what it is and always has been. Star Wars has always been for kids and always been a vehicle for selling merchandise. Sorry to all the 40 and 50 year old geeks who don't understand that. Your time has passed and nobody is making things for you anymore. I'm part of the 40 year old geek crowd but I get it and accept it. For the record I've yet to talk to a kid who didn't love this movie

Old 12-27-2017, 10:21 AM

5,891 posts, read 5,675,864 times
Finally an Asian actress took a relatively important role. But they had to use the most unattractive Asian actress in America. So Hollywood.
Not saying she's a bad actress, but the fact is the only Asian role in the whole movie is unattractive.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Finally an Asian actress took a relatively important role. But they had to use the most unattractive Asian actress in America. So Hollywood.
Not saying she's a bad actress, but the fact is the only Asian role in the whole movie is unattractive.

Talk about a powder keg of a post. Sure, the actress (Veronica Ngo) who played Rose's sister Paige is better-looking, but Kelly Marie Tran is American. Ngo is not. And you know how Hollywood likes American accents.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:09 PM

5,891 posts, read 5,675,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Talk about a powder keg of a post. Sure, the actress (Veronica Ngo) who played Rose's sister Paige is better-looking, but Kelly Marie Tran is American. Ngo is not. And you know how Hollywood likes American accents.
Yeah and actually most famous Asian American actors are gay.
I guess it is just the reality here.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:22 PM

I wouldn't know. I guess I don't pay attention to that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or