U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 06:00 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,220,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We saw the movie yesterday, and we both enjoyed it. Neither of us are Star Wars nerds. Weíve seen the first three, Rogue and TFA. We did not see the three prequels that drew such bad reviews. I confess Iíve only seen any of these once.

I think they are good for what they are. The Force, as explained by Luke to Rey is claptrap, but the entire movie is enjoyable claptrap. As many movies are.

I am going to say outright that I like the diversity of the cast, and that the central character is female. I think Boyega is made for the big screen, and I loved the intro of Rose. The weakest character IMO was Laura Dernís character.

One of the things I liked was the importance of the original characters. Now the torch has been passed. The new characters will take over and finish the job,

Star Wars is a space opera. It is fun. It is thrilling. The original movies are not sacred texts.

And donít fool yourself. There was plenty of commercialization in the first three movies. I bought Star Wars toys for my kids aplenty. Why do you think there were Ewoks in the last movie of the first trilogy?
I agree with your post especially the comment about Laura Dern's character. This movie has to be my favorite; we just watched it today. My elementary age daughter likes it as well but her favorite is the Empire Strikes Back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 11:54 AM

18,388 posts, read 12,221,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Finally an Asian actress took a relatively important role. But they had to use the most unattractive Asian actress in America. So Hollywood.
Not saying she's a bad actress, but the fact is the only Asian role in the whole movie is unattractive.
I think Rose is adorable!

Old 12-29-2017, 03:12 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,164,823 times
Honestly, I was bored for most of the movie. I actually liked most of the scenes with Rye and Luke, and I didn't mind kylo ren, but the long drawn out arc with Finn and Rose was so boring and seemed so unnecessary to the plot of the movie. The overall plot/story just wasn't very interesting to me.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:31 PM

3,675 posts, read 1,362,133 times
I've been a fan since the first movie (#4) came out in theaters in the late 70s. I've seen each one in the theater at least once.

I saw the newest one today, and thought it was great. Lots of twists and turns, good action, the story moved along at a good pace, lots of the characters from 4 through 7 making an appearance, some new folks to add freshness, new creatures/aliens, false/trick deaths that turned out to not be the end of their characters (at least not right away).

The darkness of the dark side (First Order) really came across at a deeper level with this one. This is probably the best movie at conveying the contrast between good and evil. The coldness of the dark side / First Order was especially felt this time, and that's a huge element in the story/series.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:29 PM

17,637 posts, read 9,647,522 times
I wish Warner Bros would use the same folk who write their DC animated movies to write their live-action movies.

I wish Disney would use the writers of their Star Wars animations to write their saga movies.

As someone who has been a Star Wars fan since the first weekend A New Hope aired in 1977 to Star Wars: Rebels, I'd say Rian Johnson failed all generations of fans.

I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed by it.

For instance, kids who have watched Rebels will have an expectation of what an old Jedi master should be...they won't see it here. They will know what a good light saber duel should look like...they won't see it here.

Young fans of Rebels have seen a young Jedi on the Hero's Journey...they won't see that here.

Young fans of Rebels have also been introduced to the concept of the Gray, the balance between Light and Dark, and they will expect this saga of the future to explore that concept in detail--in fact, they'll expect Luke Skywalker 30 years after the Rebels period to have achieved it...but they won't see it here.

Young fans of Rebels have even seen those crystal cats before and understand they have Force significance...which is squandered here.

Young fans of Rebels understand that the Force is doing something beyond Jedi to other kinds of Force users...also ignored here.

Every episode of Rebels has, frankly, been a better story than this movie.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:14 AM

8,803 posts, read 5,556,930 times
I finally saw it a few days ago. It was entertaining , just like I thought TFA was. Just an entertaining Sci Fi movie with some great visuals.

As a Star Wars movie...well , here is what I wrote in the spoiler thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/50571583-post82.html

Old 01-10-2018, 07:43 AM

239 posts, read 117,324 times
While seeing Last Jedi again last week, I realized how boring and uninteresting it really is. I mean, I enjoyed it enough the first time, but maybe that was only because I didn't know exactly where the story was going (I completely avoided spoilers and trailers) or what mysteries from the Force Awakens would be solved. Well, every subplot besides Rey and Luke turned out to be utterly pointless and even Rey's was just a rehash of Luke's arc from ESB and RotJ. The only real surprise was Snoke being offed so early, though that kills one of the main mysteries from the previous movie, along with Rey's parents and Captain Phasma.

As the years pass, I think the reputation of Disney's Star Wars films is going to decline, mainly due to a lack of originality. The Force Awakens was an okay movie, but it's too much of a New Hope reboot to really possess any staying power. It's designed to appeal to the nostalgia of SW fans, and most of them acknowledged how unoriginal it is but forgave that with the expectations that it was just setting up for more original stories down the road. Well, there certainly are more original elements in Last Jedi, but they're mostly pointless; the interesting content was copied from while negating points from the older films and throwing out mysteries from TFA. I don't see why future viewers will care much about movies that either rehash the older classics or are stuffed with useless filler.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:24 PM

414 posts, read 185,485 times
Saw it today— I’m a Star Wars fan but have never read any of the EU novels. What kills me after today is it actually makes me appreciate episodes 1-3 more.

This movie wasn’t bad but did feel like a non-Skywalker SW. . I also liked Rey more in Episode 7. I was hoping more of a back story and more substance on Snoke. I’m going to have to watch it again.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM

2,559 posts, read 1,181,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
While seeing Last Jedi again last week, I realized how boring and uninteresting it really is. I mean, I enjoyed it enough the first time, but maybe that was only because I didn't know exactly where the story was going (I completely avoided spoilers and trailers) or what mysteries from the Force Awakens would be solved. Well, every subplot besides Rey and Luke turned out to be utterly pointless and even Rey's was just a rehash of Luke's arc from ESB and RotJ. The only real surprise was Snoke being offed so early, though that kills one of the main mysteries from the previous movie, along with Rey's parents and Captain Phasma.

As the years pass, I think the reputation of Disney's Star Wars films is going to decline, mainly due to a lack of originality. The Force Awakens was an okay movie, but it's too much of a New Hope reboot to really possess any staying power. It's designed to appeal to the nostalgia of SW fans, and most of them acknowledged how unoriginal it is but forgave that with the expectations that it was just setting up for more original stories down the road. Well, there certainly are more original elements in Last Jedi, but they're mostly pointless; the interesting content was copied from while negating points from the older films and throwing out mysteries from TFA. I don't see why future viewers will care much about movies that either rehash the older classics or are stuffed with useless filler.
That's the problem. I wasn't a huge fan of TFA either, but at least it was setup to show some interesting things going on that I thought that TLJ would address, but they were either ignored, or just blown out the window for "shock value", but then it ended up not getting the actual story anywhere. Seriously, what happens in TLJ from beginning to end? At least in TFA, things happened, characters progressed. We saw Finn going from a Stormtrooper into being brave enough to face up to one of the biggest leaders in his faction. We saw Rey go from a scavenger to facing an antagonist of the same evil faction. Characters evolved and went from one place to the other.

In TLJ, the same characters in the beginning of the movie....didn't change from the end of the movie. Finn went from being a hero in TFA to....wanting to leave again and be a wimp to then trying to save the Rebels and ended up doing nothing. While Rey was just perfect in every way shape and form, for no real reason, and didn't even need to train. Just made no real sense.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 PM

18,532 posts, read 8,657,018 times
I finally saw the film today. I really like the 3 original Star Wars films, and loved the "The Force Awakens".

I was not particularly impressed this time around. In fact, there were times as I watched the film that I found myself shaking my head or rolling my eyes. First off, they've now killed off...or the actors have died...from the original series. I REALLY missed having Harrison Ford around!!!!!!!!!!! The only 2 new actors that I like are Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. The rest...eh.

But when I was walking out of the theater I was wondering how much longer we're going to be suckers for a basic plot that doesn't change that much, but keeps on going and going and going, sucking in our movie dollars. Honestly, in my view, it's time to bring this war to a conclusion. And I did decide as I was watching today that I wouldn't be plunking down $20+ next time around; I'll wait for cable. All good things must come to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or