U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM

2,605 posts, read 1,056,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"The best since Empire" sayeth the early audiences.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-im...are-1821163099
Those people are high or paid off possibly both. Trying to top the original films will be a tall order and frankly I doubt it will happen. The new star wars is one giant cash grab there is no depth or art just souless cgi and reused stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,655,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
This.

They said the same about TFA and honestly, I thought the prequels were better than TFA.

Everything I've read about TLA is pretty bad, tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Please tell me you are smoking crack....lol
The prequels were original and had a decent story. The only issue was that George Lucas depended too much on CGI and turned into a kiddie film. The original trilogy imo were a young adult to old people movie. Young kids wouldn't be able to understand all facets of the movie.

TFA was just a remake of A New Hope. It was an ok copy. I enjoyed how they used live props and didn't heavily depend on CGI.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:48 AM

23,680 posts, read 13,348,756 times
The film was awesome. The critics got it right. Maybe even better than Empire...

Old 12-15-2017, 04:01 AM

176 posts, read 65,173 times
”Bad like TFA"? The Force Awakens was a great film that has the solid reviews and the word-of-mouth fueled box office multiplier to prove it.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:38 AM

12,377 posts, read 16,635,454 times
my son and his gf tried to go see it and the fire marshall said the theatre was at full capacity so they will try tonight and the rest of next to see it . I would not wait out in the cold to see a movie .

Old 12-15-2017, 07:05 AM

13,999 posts, read 18,769,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The prequels were original and had a decent story. The only issue was that George Lucas depended too much on CGI and turned into a kiddie film. The original trilogy imo were a young adult to old people movie. Young kids wouldn't be able to understand all facets of the movie.
Here is the thing lots of people don't want to admit: George Lucas is actually a really good director.

Here is the thing George Lucas does want to admit: George Lucas is a really bad writer.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 5,203,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
”Bad like TFA"? The Force Awakens was a great film that has the solid reviews and the word-of-mouth fueled box office multiplier to prove it.
I thought The Force Awakens was a good movie, if you'd never seen A New Hope.

So, I was sitting in the theater the whole time thinking i'd paid to see A New Hope again.

You can't give any credibility to the people who are going to the early screenings and/or first to see the movie.. They're fanboys.

About a week and a half to two weeks out.. Those people seeing it for the first time will likely be the best reviews.

The reviews that i've seen from critics haven't been great. They've been OK

This is one that stuck in my mind.

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' review - CNN

No idea about this guy's other reviews, so.. I may not agree with him. The boy wants to see it, so I'll take him around Christmas and make my own decision as to how good it is.

Roger Ebert gave it 5 stars.. Of course, he's been dead nearly 5 years.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:15 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,249,919 times
I have not seen anyone of the Disney Star Wars movies, but I do love the 6 that George Lucas created. Many of the reviews for this new film are mixed, but I hope that the kids love them. Im waiting for a Qui Gon Jinn Dooku film myself, but until then I have the movies I like.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 PM

2,083 posts, read 631,470 times
Well, now that they have killed off Han, Luke, and Ackbar, and with the possibility that Leia might not be returning in IX, let's kill off Chewie , Lando, R2D2, and C3PO too so that we can be done with it and have the SJW characters be the new "heroes".

Old 12-16-2017, 06:48 AM

9,164 posts, read 5,179,625 times
I was going to skip it, then I saw Matt Zoller Seitz gave it 4 stars

^ spoilers in review

Spoiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or