U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 PM

3,361 posts, read 3,350,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I think the prequels got the short end of the stick. Their only downfall was poor casting decisions, from a story/writing perspective they weren't all that bad. On the other hand, these new ones are all around garbage.
The prequels got better as they went along, but even that isn't saying much. The Phantom Menace was on TNT yesterday and it was a fresh reminder that the movie had awful acting, awful CGI, too much CGI, Jar Jar Binks, a terrible plot and the fact that Darth Maul was killed off in only the first movie was an awful decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 09:10 PM

688 posts, read 391,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The prequels got better as they went along, but even that isn't saying much. The Phantom Menace was on TNT yesterday and it was a fresh reminder that the movie had awful acting, awful CGI, too much CGI, Jar Jar Binks, a terrible plot and the fact that Darth Maul was killed off in only the first movie was an awful decision.
Arrgh.....was having a good read and you had to bring up the dreaded J J B (its name must never be written or spoken...ever!).

Haven't seen PM since its original release and refuse to watch it..I'm still waiting for a decent edit removing almost every scene it was in so I can see it again.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:13 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,865,909 times
Simply based on all the hype from the studio and stars being interviewed on all the talk shows, all the commercials selling soap and toilet paper from the movie scenes, I say the series has jumped the shark.
"Bye Bye"

Old 12-17-2017, 01:14 AM

152 posts, read 98,207 times
Overall, it's OK.

Too cheesy, WAY too PC, some bad acting, and obviously designed to sell merchandise (think porgs and crystal critters).

And remember kids, it's the weapons manufacturers that are the richest and worst people in the universe........ When you have something THAT blatantly politically motivated thrown into the middle of the film it really takes you away from the "galaxy far far away" thing. (whether you agree with the political point or not).

It had some great graphics and some awe inspiring moments, but I just felt taken out of the movie by it's problems. STILL not as bad as the prequels but not as good as the original trilogy or even Rogue One.

AND I guess this movie kills the "Jar Jar Binks is really Snoke" fan theory

Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 AM

22,592 posts, read 12,536,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Overall, it's OK.

Too cheesy, WAY too PC, some bad acting, and obviously designed to sell merchandise (think porgs and crystal critters).

And remember kids, it's the weapons manufacturers that are the richest and worst people in the universe........ When you have something THAT blatantly politically motivated thrown into the middle of the film it really takes you away from the "galaxy far far away" thing. (whether you agree with the political point or not).

It had some great graphics and some awe inspiring moments, but I just felt taken out of the movie by it's problems. STILL not as bad as the prequels but not as good as the original trilogy or even Rogue One.

AND I guess this movie kills the "Jar Jar Binks is really Snoke" fan theory
Oh boo who. I think we found someone offended by a Hollywood movie here... I honestly didn't see anything overly P.C. in this movie that wasn't in any other Star Wars before it. Space movies aren't just gonna be white men, you need aliens in there...

Though in all seriousness honestly, the Del Toro character was refreshing even if he was only on for 10/15 minutes and what he said, that added a depth to the issue. It is kind of like Count Douku claiming the dark side infiltrated the Senate and he wasnt a part of it in Attack of the Clones. It also gives reason as to why the First Order would come about in the first place, other than the former Emperials being snowflakes and hating the Republic. I just hope it is followed up on in Episode IX in two years.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:31 AM

1,274 posts, read 290,700 times
Well, with the awful taste in my mouth that TFA left, it pretty much killed all enthusiasm I had of wanting to continue with the saga. When going into TFA, I was a bit of a fan of John Boyega, and was expecting him to be the main character. When I realized it was some girl who can't act, and Boyega was just there, for what purpose, I don't know, I got bored quick. Judging by the rumors on all of blogs, TLJ is even worse. So, I'll just save my money for Black Panther that is being released next year (number one movie on my radar)

Old 12-17-2017, 11:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,405,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Well, with the awful taste in my mouth that TFA left, it pretty much killed all enthusiasm I had of wanting to continue with the saga. When going into TFA, I was a bit of a fan of John Boyega, and was expecting him to be the main character. When I realized it was some girl who can't act, and Boyega was just there, for what purpose, I don't know, I got bored quick. Judging by the rumors on all of blogs, TLJ is even worse. So, I'll just save my money for Black Panther that is being released next year (number one movie on my radar)
It is unbearably bad. For that reason alone, you need to see it.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 PM

1,434 posts, read 345,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Upon further reflection of what I watched last night...

The movie was garbage.

The opening was awesome... but after that... it was just a snail crawl and not much happened.

While Rey is off for at least a week, the rest of the movie takes place over 6-8 hours.

Snoke is the former master of sidious. In the start he puts Kylo in his place. His demise... pathetic.

The cheap wise cracks every twenty seconds... you usually have one character behind that. Not all of them every chance you get.

The tracking through hyperspace garbage... rebels are totally screwed now. Might as well end the series. They'll never survive.

CGI when snoke had Rey and that incident with Leia was terrible.

Luke's acting was terrible. Rey's was better. Finn still just the token black character, except now he's partnered with an Asian one.

Writing was awful.

I'll wait patiently for the next non-trilogy iteration. Rogue one remains my favorite of the recent ones. Starting to feel episode 1-3 better than 7 and 8.
I agree about all the wise cracking, its like they are using these way too often now. I also agree about the explosion and princess Leia thing, her flying back to the door was pretty dumb imo, it was about as bad as Finn and the asian girl surviving that wreck in the salt flats, there is just no way either would have survived.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:53 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,536,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree about all the wise cracking, its like they are using these way too often now. I also agree about the explosion and princess Leia thing, her flying back to the door was pretty dumb imo, it was about as bad as Finn and the asian girl surviving that wreck in the salt flats, there is just no way either would have survived.
Leia flying back into the ship other than her being more in tune with the force in some 30-40 years, made little sense. I agree.

The Crait wreck makes sense. I think Rose died because her side took it far worse. That said, she wasn't confirmed dead so this is my understanding head canon, until I hear the true canon.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:55 PM

13,436 posts, read 18,154,772 times
Saw it over the weekend. I've loved STAR WARS since I was five years old. THE LAST JEDI is not a bad movie, but I'm sorry to say it's not very good either. In fact, it isn't even as good as THE FORCE AWAKENS.

TFA was rightly criticized for being a point-for-point re-do of A NEW HOPE. But at least it had a coherent plot, character motivations, and knew where it was going and why. THE LAST JEDI is not a point-for-point re-do of EMPIRE. It actually steals a pivotal plot point from EMPIRE, a major action sequence from EMPIRE, and a pivotal plot point from RETURN OF THE JEDI. The rest of the plot doesn't make much sense at all.

Which is sad, considering it has some of the best acting of any STAR WARS movie since Alec Guinness left. Mark Hamill has never been better. He's brilliant. Adam Driver is a great actor. Daisy Ridley is acting her heart out. Unfortunately, whoever wrote this script left all concerned with a mess. None of their character arcs make the least bit of sense. Just basic logic is out the window. You could have cut Finn and his sidekick out the movie entirely and improved it considerably. Not the fault of the actors, both of whom are great. But again: The script is a wreck.

And some of the dialogue in THE LAST JEDI makes George Lucas look like Ernest Hemingway. I am stunned that Rian Johnson supposedly wrote this. Some of the lines were so bad I thought he was going for a Snidely Whiplash parody.

Last edited by Mark S.; 12-17-2017 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies