U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 PM

909 posts, read 508,304 times

Advertisements

I saw "The Last Jedi" today. Not a Star Wars fan and saw bits and pieces of the others. Watched the prequel this weekend, "The Force Awakens". Would recommend because it made sense to to me. However, through the 2.5 hour movie , I did not get up one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 AM

9,694 posts, read 5,684,306 times
TLJ Goldfinger homage.

Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.

Spoiler
When the New Order is crawling along smartly on the red under salt planet, taking their sweet time getting into worm weapon range of the ancient rebel stronghold - Goldfinger comes to mind, when 007 is strapped down on his back and the excruciatingly slow laser slowly moves between his legs toward his crotch and Bond's sure demise. And the fire all weapons laser light show when Luke gets hit by the barrage is icing on the homage's cake.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 AM

8,255 posts, read 4,175,658 times
It was good. I don't want to give spoilers away. I feel the movie made you have lots of questions when you left is all I'll say.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 AM

6,872 posts, read 4,461,961 times
I feel also they should move away from the Death Star. It failed twice in the original trilogy. The Death Star Planet failed in TFA. It was a new idea in the original but somewhat a cheap gimmick in the new trilogy. (Death Star Planet...LOL)

Old 12-19-2017, 10:27 AM

3,853 posts, read 1,482,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

Top 3 Star Wars movies
1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Rogue One
3) A New Hope
Agreed the rest are mediocre or downright bad frankly I'm over Star Wars won't be planning to see any future installments.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:33 AM

32,831 posts, read 30,118,328 times
The Mary Poppins flying scene though.....

Old 12-19-2017, 03:25 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,898,934 times
I liked it more than Force Awakens because it was more original. I don't think it's better than the original trilogy, but it is superior than Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (barf). Jury's out on Revenge of the Sith.

Mark...I usually agree with your movie opinions but I cannot get on board here with you. To say TLJ is worse than the prequels is pretty laughable. Worse dialogue? People actually forgot "I hate sand"? Attack of the Clones is THE worst Star Wars movie and it isn't close.

Why do people have such a problem with Leia's scene? If it's because you think she should be dead in space right away, you are dead wrong. Guardians of the Galaxy had a pretty realistic scene in space as well. People need to do their homework before harping on the "inaccuracy." I do admit it looked a bit cheesy. I don't understand why it's hard to believe Leia had enough Force sensitivity to propel herself like 30 feet in a vacuum. Rey has done a lot more than that with zero Force training.

To a certain extent I understand the complaints about Luke.

Spoiler
Would the Luke of the Original Trilogy even have an urge to kill his own nephew? He didn't give up on his own father, even though Vader was grade A evil, and was willing to die to redeem him. Still, Luke is human and I kind of get why he might think for just one second to strike down Ben Solo. Was it kinda silly that he turned his light saber on that long RIGHT as Ben wakes up? Yeah it is, but this is Star Wars...

I thought the acting was great, especially from Adam Driver. I feel like Kylo Ren is what a true Sith is supposed to be (yes I know he's technically not Sith but come on, basically he is). They give in to their emotions. While it's cool to have a cold and collected villain, it makes sense to me to have one who has zero control of their emotions, like Kylo.

Spoiler
I can picture a young man tempted by the Dark Side by Snoke (side note: I also wish we knew more about him), who tells him Luke will give up on him, and then to see Luke turning on his light saber like that? He felt an immense betrayal. I think he must have cared for Luke a lot and easily switched that to hate. That's very Dark Side to me.

I think I would like these movies a lot less if not for Kylo Ren to be honest. Rey kind of bores me. Finn's OK but I didn't like this plot that much this time.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:50 PM

4,509 posts, read 2,784,651 times
Dear everyone: It's just a movie.

Reading all of the crazy fan posts and reviews and endless social media posts hating one Disney for ruining their childhoods is cracking me up. I was born in 1977 the year Ep. IV came out. My entire childhood was intertwined with Star Wars movie, toys, birthday parties, wall paper, underoos etc. My teen years involved a healthy amount of Timothy Zahn books and Dark Horse comics. My early adult life had terrible prequels and lots of toy collecting. I'm as much of a super fan as can be without dressing up as a jedi to go to the premiere. And I like Last Jedi for what it was. Most of the arguments I see don't even make sense. The original trilogy is full of bad acting, plot hole and story devices that don't work. That's Star Wars. Sorry they didn't make this movie the way you imagined it in your personal fan fiction. I sat in the theater through a 2.5 hr movie and wasn't bored which is a major achievement these days.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:51 PM

4,509 posts, read 2,784,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I liked it more than Force Awakens because it was more original. I don't think it's better than the original trilogy, but it is superior than Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (barf). Jury's out on Revenge of the Sith.

Mark...I usually agree with your movie opinions but I cannot get on board here with you. To say TLJ is worse than the prequels is pretty laughable. Worse dialogue? People actually forgot "I hate sand"? Attack of the Clones is THE worst Star Wars movie and it isn't close.

Why do people have such a problem with Leia's scene? If it's because you think she should be dead in space right away, you are dead wrong. Guardians of the Galaxy had a pretty realistic scene in space as well. People need to do their homework before harping on the "inaccuracy." I do admit it looked a bit cheesy. I don't understand why it's hard to believe Leia had enough Force sensitivity to propel herself like 30 feet in a vacuum. Rey has done a lot more than that with zero Force training.

To a certain extent I understand the complaints about Luke.

Spoiler
Would the Luke of the Original Trilogy even have an urge to kill his own nephew? He didn't give up on his own father, even though Vader was grade A evil, and was willing to die to redeem him. Still, Luke is human and I kind of get why he might think for just one second to strike down Ben Solo. Was it kinda silly that he turned his light saber on that long RIGHT as Ben wakes up? Yeah it is, but this is Star Wars...

I thought the acting was great, especially from Adam Driver. I feel like Kylo Ren is what a true Sith is supposed to be (yes I know he's technically not Sith but come on, basically he is). They give in to their emotions. While it's cool to have a cold and collected villain, it makes sense to me to have one who has zero control of their emotions, like Kylo.

Spoiler
I can picture a young man tempted by the Dark Side by Snoke (side note: I also wish we knew more about him), who tells him Luke will give up on him, and then to see Luke turning on his light saber like that? He felt an immense betrayal. I think he must have cared for Luke a lot and easily switched that to hate. That's very Dark Side to me.

I think I would like these movies a lot less if not for Kylo Ren to be honest. Rey kind of bores me. Finn's OK but I didn't like this plot that much this time.
Huh? Force Awakens was basically a mash up of the first three movies with different characters. Nothing original about it whatsoever. Certainly not original in the grand scheme of movies/stories and not original for Star Wars movies. But it was fun as was Rouge One and Last Jedi

Old 12-19-2017, 04:05 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,898,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Huh? Force Awakens was basically a mash up of the first three movies with different characters. Nothing original about it whatsoever. Certainly not original in the grand scheme of movies/stories and not original for Star Wars movies. But it was fun as was Rouge One and Last Jedi
I said THE LAST JEDI was more original than the Force Awakens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or