U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:39 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,124,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I don't know if you've read multiple internet forums, but it's definitely not just "one hacker" who hates the movie. That's BS from Disney who are upset that people don't like the movie.

The movie actually really just flat out sucks. This is coming from one of the biggest Star Wars geeks around. The movie is just bad.

I don't get how if people dislike something, it automatically has to be hackers or trolls. Geez, if George Lucas did that when people crapped on The Phantom Menace, they would have laughed at him to bankruptcy.
I'm sorry but just because you are a Star Wars geek does not make you the ultimate decider if a movie is good or not. I loved it, I know many people who loved it. The above is just your opinion as mine. As for the hacker, there's a whole facebook page on bringing Disney down...pretty sure Disney did not make that one up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:58 AM

2,454 posts, read 1,027,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I'm sorry but just because you are a Star Wars geek does not make you the ultimate decider if a movie is good or not. I loved it, I know many people who loved it. The above is just your opinion as mine. As for the hacker, there's a whole facebook page on bringing Disney down...pretty sure Disney did not make that one up.
When did I ever say that? I said I didn't like it, nor did multiple others who disliked it. I didn't talk for everyone...unlike Disney, who actually ARE making the claim that ONE hacker is speaking for every negative review

If you liked the movie, more power to you. No hate on you at all on my end, you're entitled to what you like and I'm glad you enjoyed the film.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:14 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,124,905 times
Quote:
When did I ever say that? I said I didn't like it, nor did multiple others who disliked it. I didn't talk for everyone...unlike Disney, who actually ARE making the claim that ONE hacker is speaking for every negative review

If you liked the movie, more power to you. No hate on you at all on my end, you're entitled to what you like and I'm glad you enjoyed the film.
Sorry!!! Not sure why I got so defensive. Probably because I really did like it and sad to see majority on here who didn't.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM

4,580 posts, read 1,907,891 times
The Last Jedi has some of the wonkiest writing I've seen in a Star Wars film so far. Apart from a pretty cool finale on the mineral planet, and some great visuals, I was surprised that this was the movie we got. It seemed like RJ went out of his way to avoid certain beats to make it less predictable, yet at the same time we got many very familiar beats.

Spoiler
The entire middle act needed to be discarded. That much felt more like film-by-committee than Johnson's. Finn's just wallpaper in this movie. Didn't care for Vice Admiral Holdover. Not to mention the two baddies who got seriously hyped were each reduced to broccoli choppings after a single scene. Snoke was...unimpressive, to say the least. the CGI didn't look that great, either (and his design flat-out sucked and looked like something from an episode of The Outer Limits).

The entire "keep up a barrage" trope on the fleet plot point: For Hux to be such a dedicated puppet to not unleash every TIE pilot the TFO fleet has (and they still haven't explained how TFO has gotten so powerful) was inconsistent. Also tired of the "our big cannons can't hit these mosquitos" trope, which lets one final ship get through with the payload — just like in the 1977 film.

And the "fulfill your destiny" line...again.

I have to admit I didn't care for the outro scene, either. Too cutesy.

Oh, well. Just another Star Wars movie with great VFX. Rogue One is a better movie.

Last edited by AFtrEFkt; 12-20-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Btw, there are a ton of mixed-negative reviews on IMDb. (They're not "bots," either.)

The novelty's wearing off, Disney.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:11 AM

13,998 posts, read 18,764,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The novelty's wearing off, Disney.
Is it though?

Disney doesn't really care about reviews. They care about $$$. As long as STAR WARS continues to make money, they will continue to chuck it out like product. Until a movie performs SERIOUSLY below expectations, I don't expect quality will improve much.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:31 AM

2,454 posts, read 1,027,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Is it though?

Disney doesn't really care about reviews. They care about $$$. As long as STAR WARS continues to make money, they will continue to chuck it out like product. Until a movie performs SERIOUSLY below expectations, I don't expect quality will improve much.
That's what I've been afraid of after I saw TFA.

Star Wars is now just a cash cow. (To be fair, it always has been since the Lucas days, but you know what I mean). It was evident when they made that Han Solo movie that nobody asked for nor really wanted. The quality of the movies have been on a decline. (I did like Rogue One, but it also was really unnecessary from a narrative POV).

Like, honestly, I have no desire or interest in Episode 9 because I no longer have a reason to care. There's nothing interesting about Rey, nothing interesting about Finn (there was but they made him just turn into a comedic joke in TLJ), I barely care about Kylo Ren. I still don't know what the Resistance are resisting, and I still dont' know what the First Order is, where they came from, and I no longer really care anymore.

Star Wars (Disney) honestly feels like a Marvel Universe movie with R2D2, C3PO, or a lightsaber thrown in the background to be like "LOOK ITS STAR WARS!".

Old 12-20-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And majority of that is fake bot reports set up by someone wanting Disney to look bad.

Try again.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM

4,484 posts, read 2,449,440 times
Quote:
I don't know if you've read multiple internet forums, but it's definitely not just "one hacker" who hates the movie. That's BS from Disney who are upset that people don't like the movie.

The movie actually really just flat out sucks. This is coming from one of the biggest Star Wars geeks around. The movie is just bad.

I don't get how if people dislike something, it automatically has to be hackers or trolls. Geez, if George Lucas did that when people crapped on The Phantom Menace, they would have laughed at him to bankruptcy.
Personally I don't take anything on the internet at face value. I also doubt that Disney cares about what people are saying on forums as long as it keeps crushing the box office. Is anyone going to boycott EP 9 when it comes out? No, it will make more then Ep 8 at the box office the first week.

I think most Star Wars geeks are using revisionist history. How many Star Wars movies or tv shows have actually been great or even good movies when compared to other non Star Wars movies? A New Hope is riddled with terrible acting, cheesy dialogue and plot holes. Empire Strikes Back is generally recognized as the best Star Wars movie and that was made in 1980. The past 37 years of Star Wars has been filled with mediocre at best content. There have been random good/great things like the NPR radio drama, the first Dark Horse comic series, the Genndy Tartaovsky Clone Wars cartoon and the first Knights of the Old Republic game but most stuff has been generic, derivative stuff. And let's not forget 99% of stuff including the Disney movies are aimed at children. One of my biggest Star Wars geek friends said that if you really have a problem with these movies because of the writing, acting etc then maybe you should go watch the Battlestar Galactica reboot because that's what you are looking for not this.

I am also a life long Star Wars geek and I'm fine with it all. Let the past die, kill it if you have to

Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 1,056,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post

A New Hope is riddled with terrible acting, cheesy dialogue and plot holes.
Yea no it isn't its a classic film you are thinking of the prequel star wars films.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or