Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:17 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times

Advertisements

Well, I think they really tried to shake things up in this episode. Some of the surprises:

1) When Rey rips off her top and says, "Hey, the Force was really with these bad boys!"
2) The dance number in the hanger of the Imperial Dreadnaught.
3) When Snoke says, "No, Kylo, I am your father." And Kylo says, "Oooh. Gross. Just TMI, Dad."
4) When Chewbacca bites Leia, requiring her to undergo a regimen of rabies shots, just to be sure.
5) When Luke confesses to Rey that he had been wanted to get off that damned island for decades, but he couldn't figure out how to fix his x-wing fighter. Rey, asks, "Well did you turn it off and turn it on again?" Luke gives her a blank stare and then cusses. He turns it off and on again, and it starts up like a charm.
6) They don't actually have a Death Star in the thing.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 12-17-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 12:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Saw it over the weekend. I've loved STAR WARS since I was five years old. THE LAST JEDI is not a bad movie, but I'm sorry to say it's not very good either. In fact, it isn't even as good as THE FORCE AWAKENS.

TFA was rightly criticized for being a point-for-point re-do of A NEW HOPE. But at least it had a coherent plot, character motivations, and knew where it was going and why. THE LAST JEDI is not a point-for-point re-do of EMPIRE. It actually steals a pivotal plot point from EMPIRE, a major action sequence from EMPIRE, and a pivotal plot point from RETURN OF THE JEDI. The rest of the plot doesn't make much sense at all.

Which is sad, considering it has some of the best acting of any STAR WARS movie since Alec Guinness left. Mark Hamill has never been better. He's brilliant. Adam Driver is a great actor. Daisy Ridley is acting her heart out. Unfortunately, whoever wrote this script left all concerned with a mess. None of their character arcs make the least bit of sense. Just basic logic is out the window. You could have cut Finn and his sidekick out the movie entirely and improved it considerably. Not the fault of the actors, both of whom are great. But again: The script is a wreck.

And some of the dialogue in THE LAST JEDI makes George Lucas look like Ernest Hemingway. I am stunned that Rian Johnson supposedly wrote this. Some of the lines were so bad I thought he was going for a Snidely Whiplash parody.
I thought J.J. wrote the script for Last Jedi...

Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I thought J.J. wrote the script for Last Jedi...
The credits read: WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY RIAN JOHNSON.

But I still have a hard time believing it. I don't think BRICK was a great movie, but it was a good movie with well-written characters that had a beginning, middle, and end. LOOPER was a great movie --- and a complicated one. Johnson had a lot to juggle in that movie and he pulled it off. Probably the best science fiction noir film since BLADE RUNNER.

And then there is THE LAST JEDI, which steals most of its significant plot points from better movies, has major plot lines that go nowhere, has long action sequences that make no sense at all, completely baffling and inconsistent character motivations, and some of the worst dialogue I have ever seen in a big budget movie.

THE LAST JEDI felt more like a Michael Bay movie. Lots of action. Some beautiful scenes. But no sense at all and ultimately hollow.

Remember this from earlier in the year? Mark Hamill Didn't Agree with Luke's Actions in The Last Jedi Wow was Hamill right. Too bad no one listened to him.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:20 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Please tell me you are smoking crack....lol
No. The prequels just had poor execution, but overall a really good story underneath them. I can look past the Anakin actors (though, Hayden stepped it up in ROTS), and some of the bad dialogue but at least I knew what was going on.

TFA was A New Hope 2.0 and I don't know what the hell TLJ was. That movie is hot garbage. I saw it on Friday and even my gf said "is this movie over yet?". It was boring, and the story didn't even make any sense. (Finn and Rose, what was the point of anything they did again?).

Old 12-18-2017, 01:09 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
No. The prequels just had poor execution, but overall a really good story underneath them. I can look past the Anakin actors (though, Hayden stepped it up in ROTS), and some of the bad dialogue but at least I knew what was going on.

TFA was A New Hope 2.0 and I don't know what the hell TLJ was. That movie is hot garbage. I saw it on Friday and even my gf said "is this movie over yet?". It was boring, and the story didn't even make any sense. (Finn and Rose, what was the point of anything they did again?).
"Hot garbage" is over-stating it, but otherwise I totally agree with you. I could spend pages nitpicking everything wrong with this movie, but that one statement sums it up: the story didn't make any sense.

THE LAST JEDI is by far the worst STAR WARS film ever made. Not for all the nerd nit-picky "canon" reasons. It's just a plain bad movie. No logic. No sense. No character arcs. An idiot plot.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:37 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Leia flying back into the ship other than her being more in tune with the force in some 30-40 years, made little sense. I agree.

The Crait wreck makes sense. I think Rose died because her side took it far worse. That said, she wasn't confirmed dead so this is my understanding head canon, until I hear the true canon.
Leia created a force bubble allowing her to breathe in space, not be killed by the elements and allowing her to fly back to the ship. Or maybe her father, Anakin/Darth Vader, did that for her? (since ghost yoda can create a fire)

How is Kylo so strong with the force? He is the offspring of Leia and Han. Leia was not a force user but had potential and Han was not a force user at all. I can understand Leah and Luke being strong with the force since their father was Anakin (100% product of the force) and their mom was Padme (0% force).

Old 12-18-2017, 01:46 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
"Hot garbage" is over-stating it, but otherwise I totally agree with you. I could spend pages nitpicking everything wrong with this movie, but that one statement sums it up: the story didn't make any sense.

THE LAST JEDI is by far the worst STAR WARS film ever made. Not for all the nerd nit-picky "canon" reasons. It's just a plain bad movie. No logic. No sense. No character arcs. An idiot plot.
Agreed.

It felt like a movie made in a corporate boardroom and people throwing their ideas to the wall, and Johnson was too much of a yes-man and tried to cram all of these ideas into one film.

The actual movie is all over the place. TLJ isn't just a bad Star Wars movie, but it's just a bad movie.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
This movie also contradicts a number of things that were established in FA.

- Luke’s motivations are completely off here. In FA he gave R2 the coordinates to his whereabouts so that they could call him if the situation required it. He was basically in exile. In LJ, he says that he doesn’t want to help and came to the planet to die.

-Who are the knights of Ren that helped Kylo hunt down the Jedi?

-How did the First Order become so powerful after the destruction of Starkiller base? Remember they are not supposed to be as powerful as the empire in the OT. This movie takes place right after FA, so they wouldn’t have the time to grow so quickly.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
The credits read: WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY RIAN JOHNSON.

But I still have a hard time believing it. I don't think BRICK was a great movie, but it was a good movie with well-written characters that had a beginning, middle, and end. LOOPER was a great movie --- and a complicated one. Johnson had a lot to juggle in that movie and he pulled it off. Probably the best science fiction noir film since BLADE RUNNER.

And then there is THE LAST JEDI, which steals most of its significant plot points from better movies, has major plot lines that go nowhere, has long action sequences that make no sense at all, completely baffling and inconsistent character motivations, and some of the worst dialogue I have ever seen in a big budget movie.

THE LAST JEDI felt more like a Michael Bay movie. Lots of action. Some beautiful scenes. But no sense at all and ultimately hollow.

Remember this from earlier in the year? Mark Hamill Didn't Agree with Luke's Actions in The Last Jedi Wow was Hamill right. Too bad no one listened to him.
You realize that you're actually getting into a froth over the underlying logic of space wizards dueling with laser swords, right?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:09 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Garbage movie that needs to be trashed and remade. I thought The Force Awakens was fun and that they would easily build on it. Boy, was I wrong. What is Snoke's back story? How did Leia fly through space and not die? Why was Luke milking some gross looking seal/cow creature? Kylo should keep his mask on at all times. He is a whiny tantrum throwing d-bag. Too many plot holes. I have to say this is worse than the prequels. There is good news though. They can only go up from here. Hopefully they don't screw up the Han Solo movie.

Top 3 Star Wars movies
1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Rogue One
3) A New Hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies