Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 06:57 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times

Advertisements

Just got back from the theater and I gotta say that I found the movie underwhelming. Despite its length, little of significance happens throughout the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 07:46 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Rogue one was better.

Acting was a little better in general. Storyline is still underwhelming. Who's snoke again? That was the admiral ackbar?

A bit childish. Too much emphasis on furry creatures and trying to give everyone Hans wit.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:26 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
They never should have made this new trilogy (episodes 7-9) imo. What they should have done is re-boot the awful prequels and then given us more movies like Rogue One (which was excellent) that fill in the gaps between movies. A movie based on Shadows of the Empire would be awesome.

The Last Jedi was ok, but to me it just reinforces how unneeded 7-9 are.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:59 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Just got back from the theater and I gotta say that I found the movie underwhelming. Despite its length, little of significance happens throughout the movie.
Haha I was thinking the exact same thing. We are sitting at the exact same place as when the movie started.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
They never should have made this new trilogy (episodes 7-9) imo. What they should have done is re-boot the awful prequels and then given us more movies like Rogue One (which was excellent) that fill in the gaps between movies. A movie based on Shadows of the Empire would be awesome.

The Last Jedi was ok, but to me it just reinforces how unneeded 7-9 are.
I agree. There are so many plot holes in these two movies, it is hard to even accept the story.

This franchise is turning into Adam Sandler. Quick easy money.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:17 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times
I saw this posted somewhere else but believe it very succinctly nails it:

This movie is what happens when diversity hires outnumber creative people.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Upon further reflection of what I watched last night...

The movie was garbage.

The opening was awesome... but after that... it was just a snail crawl and not much happened.

While Rey is off for at least a week, the rest of the movie takes place over 6-8 hours.

Snoke is the former master of sidious. In the start he puts Kylo in his place. His demise... pathetic.

The cheap wise cracks every twenty seconds... you usually have one character behind that. Not all of them every chance you get.

The tracking through hyperspace garbage... rebels are totally screwed now. Might as well end the series. They'll never survive.

CGI when snoke had Rey and that incident with Leia was terrible.

Luke's acting was terrible. Rey's was better. Finn still just the token black character, except now he's partnered with an Asian one.

Writing was awful.

I'll wait patiently for the next non-trilogy iteration. Rogue one remains my favorite of the recent ones. Starting to feel episode 1-3 better than 7 and 8.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryshabuwe View Post
Though I haven't seen this new trilogy yet, I stand by this claim: you can't outdo the 1st trilogy. From a visual/specials, the prequel trilogies did that. However, I am talking from an aesthetic and the magic/essence the 1st trilogy brought to the franchise.
I think the prequels got the short end of the stick. Their only downfall was poor casting decisions, from a story/writing perspective they weren't all that bad. On the other hand, these new ones are all around garbage.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:10 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Haha I was thinking the exact same thing. We are sitting at the exact same place as when the movie started.
It feels as though we’re still almost at the same place where we were at the end of FA, despite some major events happening here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I think the prequels got the short end of the stick. Their only downfall was poor casting decisions, from a story/writing perspective they weren't all that bad. On the other hand, these new ones are all around garbage.
To a certain extent. The prequels were plagued by silly writing, cringeworthy dialogue and a poor focus on what the core should have been. They also contradict a lot of elements from the OT.

I thought FA was a solid movie, though incredibly derivative of ANH. Rogue One may have been the best standalone one, though it suffers for being essentially an irrelevant movie. The fact that none of the characters are ever mentioned in ANH, despite it being set mere hours afterwards is problematic. The Last Jedi on the other hand was average at best.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I wonder if the people who hated The Last Jedi hated it because of their own expectations namely Reylo, or if they just simply didn't like it. I honestly love what Abbrams wrote and Johnson directed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies