U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:59 PM

4,425 posts, read 1,561,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The use of real people frankly scares me. I understand that they became actors after their experience but people actually train to be actors. Meanwhile a few like athletes and musicians are stunt cast into a roll. I guess we will see Friday.

So has anybody else see the Audie Murphy story? It was the first thing I thought of after hearing that the trio would be playing themselves
scares you? That's just plain funny. It's entertainment. None of it is real, in the true sense of the word.

Repeat after me: It's not real. It's just a movie. The "real" people acting in the story merely bring credibility. It's just entertainment. There's nothing to be scared of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 07:13 PM

629 posts, read 192,956 times
While I have no interest in seeing it - a shooting on a train just isn't enough of an event to fill a movie, and I don't care about whatever ancillary events they came up with to stretch out the film - I do find it interesting that Eastwood is still producing and directing at his age (he'll be 88 in May).

Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 PM

8,973 posts, read 5,021,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Perhaps you are looking for something that isn't there to get worked up over.
A spade is a spade.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
While I have no interest in seeing it - a shooting on a train just isn't enough of an event to fill a movie, and I don't care about whatever ancillary events they came up with to stretch out the film...
Sure it is. Similar situation with the film United 93 (2006). Plus it's Clint Eastwood directing, which sold the ticket whatever it was. With my theater going ticket buying, there are many directors who do that - Wes Anderson, Park Chan-wook, Todd Solondz, Paul Thomas Anderson, Kore-eda Hirokazu, Gus Van Sant, Jim Jarmusch, Kelly Reichardt, and many, many more.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:20 PM

16,238 posts, read 12,061,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Sure it is. Similar situation with the film United 93 (2006).
I never bothered to watch that film either (especially since it's just as likely it was downed by an AiM-9H).

Old 02-11-2018, 08:45 PM

4,936 posts, read 2,489,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
scares you? That's just plain funny. It's entertainment. None of it is real, in the true sense of the word.

Repeat after me: It's not real. It's just a movie. The "real" people acting in the story merely bring credibility. It's just entertainment. There's nothing to be scared of.

"Scares" as in poetic license. The "fear" that it would not be worth an hour of work for us to watch possibly amateur actors when trained and experienced pros would have made the life story before the heroic action worth watching. Not the fear of physical harm. Did you really, truly not understand that?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 PM

629 posts, read 192,956 times
Quote:
Sure it is. Similar situation with the film United 93 (2006). Plus it's Clint Eastwood directing, which sold the ticket whatever it was. With my theater going ticket buying, there are many directors who do that - Wes Anderson, Park Chan-wook, Todd Solondz, Paul Thomas Anderson, Kore-eda Hirokazu, Gus Van Sant, Jim Jarmusch, Kelly Reichardt, and many, many more.
I'll pass.

It was too minor event to bother with a film. Yes, yes, I know that it's politically incorrect not to 'Oooo!' and 'Aaaah!' over a film in which an American foils a terrorist. Yes, yes, I know I'm supposed to wrap myself in the flag and fawn all over the wondrousness of it all. Except I don't give a rat's rump that I'm supposed to do that. All I care about is the cinematic art. And while I find Eastwood an intriguing character, he hasn't directed anything particularly compelling to me since Million Dollar Baby, and that I thought was good but not great. He's not a must-see director.

There are great directors who can make something spectacular out of nothing. Clint Eastwood, for all his virtues - and I certainly think he has a few - isn't one of them.

So spare me.

Re: United 93. Exactly. There's not even enough 'there' there, even though there's a lot more 'there' aboard that plane than aboard the train. 35 minutes on a plane is not a movie. Neither is 5 minutes on a train.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 PM

18,287 posts, read 12,650,969 times
I see Clint hasn't deviated from his niche.
He has a formula and he's sticking to it.

Consequently, his movies are becoming cliche.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I'll pass.
So you came all the way over to the The 15:17 to Paris thread to, pass? Or troll?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 AM

5,250 posts, read 2,426,615 times
Quote:
So you came all the way over to the The 15:17 to Paris thread to, pass? Or troll?
"All the way"? How difficult is it to click on a thread title? Hulsker is entitled to his/her opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies