U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:06 PM

476 posts, read 429,777 times

Advertisements

Johnson said that he would have included Obi Wan if Alec Guiness were alive. He felt it would feel weird since Luke never interacted with Ewan's Obi Wan, which I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 05:46 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And I hated, hated, hated the porgs. Hated on the same level that I hated Jar Jar. Ugh.
I didn’t hate the porgs, but I agree they were given too much screen time (and clearly for merchandizing reasons). They should have just been kept as interesting background creatures on the island, the same way the crystal foxes were on the salt planet.

And am I the only one who found the “Chewbacca roasting porgs for dinner” scene incredibly disturbing? Talk about a humor misfire! Where’s the humor in watching a small, helpless creature crying over the deaths of others of its kind? I’m still surprised they left that scene in the final cut.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:56 PM

17,920 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I didn’t hate the porgs, but I agree they were given too much screen time (and clearly for merchandizing reasons). They should have just been kept as interesting background creatures on the island, the same way the crystal foxes were on the salt planet.
And yet, in Star Wars: Rebels, the crystal foxes clearly have a significant Force importance that Rebels fans expected to be explored in greater depth.

Quote:
And am I the only one who found the “Chewbacca roasting porgs for dinner” scene incredibly disturbing? Talk about a humor misfire! Where’s the humor in watching a small, helpless creature crying over the deaths of others of its kind? I’m still surprised they left that scene in the final cut.
I agree.

All in all, this was a deliberate intent to deconstruct the Jedi and Sith orders...but Johnson seems to have zero understand of how the various elements of the Star Wars saga has already been doing that, and the direction they've been going.

It's puzzling that Disney is so oblivious that this movie is an offense not just to old Skywalker Saga fans, but even the new fans being developed by the Disney animations.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 AM

771 posts, read 449,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Johnson said that he would have included Obi Wan if Alec Guiness were alive. He felt it would feel weird since Luke never interacted with Ewan's Obi Wan, which I agree with.
They could've done the same thing they did to bring Tarkin back in Rogue One. It should be easier since Force Ghosts are a little blurry anyway.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:57 AM

17,920 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
They could've done the same thing they did to bring Tarkin back in Rogue One. It should be easier since Force Ghosts are a little blurry anyway.
Peter Cushing had stated an explicit desire to reappear in a future film, and his estate gave permission--that was an easy road as far as the legalities were concerne.

But, frankly, I don't think Johnson had any desire or intention to meet any fan expectation, so if the matter ever came to his mind, I doubt he thought much about it.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Peter Cushing had stated an explicit desire to reappear in a future film, and his estate gave permission--that was an easy road as far as the legalities were concerne.
Good point. Given that Alec Guiness was NOT happy about the fact that the average moviegoer knew him only from Star Wars and not any of his many other films, I suspect getting permission from his estate to CGI him in as a Force Ghost probably would not have been granted in any case.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 AM

5,598 posts, read 2,435,981 times
After just three weeks, The Last Jedi has fallen from No. 1. It actually fell two spaces, behind Jumanji and the new Insidious: The Last Key.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 PM

15,092 posts, read 19,732,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
After just three weeks, The Last Jedi has fallen from No. 1. It actually fell two spaces, behind Jumanji and the new Insidious: The Last Key.
JUMANJI is a better movie.

Not saying JUMANJI is a great movie. It's a fun popcorn flick, and I'd recommend it as such. But at least it is a coherent story with consistently fun characters. THE LAST JEDI is not. THE LAST JEDI is a mess.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:12 PM

386 posts, read 182,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The Last Jedi is still the second fastest grossing movie of all time, and will likely snatch the 5th spot on the all time domestic chart. It's the highest grossing movie of 2017, and with $570million domestically to date, I don't think the studio is concerned with a fourth week ranking. Jumanji is overperforming (and I like that it is) but The Last Jedi is performing like a regular Star Wars sequel: it's in line with Empire and Clones.

Last edited by the happy guy; 01-08-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 07:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 690,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

Yeah, and even the scene of Luke milking the giant cow creature and then drinking the milk was kinda "weird" to me also...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or