U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 PM
 
5,380 posts, read 2,325,424 times
Reputation: 3099

Advertisements

'Last Jedi' Editor Has Some Second Thoughts About That Off-Screen Death

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-last...140136283.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,040,527 times
Reputation: 1704
I thought I'd wait until I saw The Last Jedi twice before I reviewed it since I wasn't sure how I felt about it after the first time that I saw it. But after I watched it a second time, I can say that I really like it.

The movie was visually stunning, especially the first battle sequence in space with all it's fiery fourth-of-July-like explosions and space ships streaking about. Also, I know that some people criticized Leia floating around in space having saved herself from the blast that knocked her body into the vacuum of space, but I thought that it was cool and a great opportunity for Leia to demonstrate her force powers that he may have been using all these years. Plus, I thought that she looked like a Disney princess when she floated back into her ship.... But wait... She is now a Disney princess.

Although, one thing that I was curious about, which I was also curious about in The Empire Strikes Back, is how could both Luke and Rey only have a handful of Jedi lessons(Luke had a few more than Rey) and end up becoming full fledged Jedi, even though most Jedi have to train for years from childhood? Also, I could understand Luke's negative attitude about the force and about the Jedi in the first half of the movie since he felt horribly guilty about and responsible for bringing forth one of the greatest evils of the universe since Darth Vader.

But I thought that the Yoda scene was kind of weird, and I didn't know that force ghosts still had force powers, although I wonder why. Also, even though it was good to see Yoda again, he almost acted like he was space happy from some sort of space fumes in the Netherworld.

But some of my favorite scenes was with Snoke and Kylo Ren. And I forget what they were talking about, but I like when Snoke knocked Kylo on his behind. And the second time that I saw that, I noticed(or noticed more) the blue force lightning that lit up Kylo's body. Cool scene. Also, I'm really glad that the writers got rid of Kylo's silly little helmet, which to me made him look like a cheap imitation of Darth Vader. Plus, without the helmet I have come to really like the Kylo Ren character.(Yes, I really hated that helmet.)

Also, one of my favorite scenes was the confrontation between Snoke, Kylo, and Rey. And I loved how Kylo disguised/hid his intent to kill Snoke with a false intent to activate his light sabre and strike Rey down. Very cool. Although, I had thought that maybe Kylo had turned to the light side, but in typical fashion, he wanted to now rule everything with Rey by his side. However, I'm still not sure what their relationship is all about and whether they're related, or if he just admires her abilities in the force, or if he's romantically attracted to her. Although since this is Stars Wars, it could be either or, or perhaps a combination of all three.

But that's one of the things that I looking forward to in the next movie: What Kylo and Rey's relationship is actually all about. Plus, I'm wondering if Kylo lied to Rey about her parents in order to manipulate her in some way.

And one more thing... I thought that the end of the movie was interesting, but I thought that Luke's fighting skills could have been shown off a lot more. But I guess the whole point of that fight was to stall for time where Luke was basically dodging Kylo's blows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2018, 03:07 AM
 
239 posts, read 116,656 times
Reputation: 266
Something that I don't think has been discussed here is how disappointing TLJ's IMAX release is. The Force Awakens had one scene (the escape of Jakku) that was shot with an IMAX camera, and when seen in an IMAX theater, the aspect ratio would expand for that one scene to fill the entire screen, showing imagery and depth that no one in a regular theater would see.
this video shows the difference between the two.

Several scenes in The Last Jedi were filmed in IMAX, not just one like in TFA. This fact was mentioned in ads, so I decided to re-watch the movie in IMAX (technically a smaller "LieMAX", not one of the really massive, older IMAX theaters). I paid $19, twice that of a normal ticket at that multiplex, and settled in ready to spot the aspect ratio changes during the IMAX scenes. Never happened.

Apparently, several scenes in TLJ were filmed with IMAX cameras, but the differences didn't make it into the final product, so there's not really a compelling reason to see this movie in IMAX (the sound in the theater was also too loud, even painful during the previous and battle scenes). I'm still ticked off over the $19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2018, 12:22 PM
 
17,614 posts, read 9,599,569 times
Reputation: 17057
I love these.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCB8DUGpYQQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 04:22 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,040,527 times
Reputation: 1704
I started to watch only the beginning of this movie on Netflix last night, however, I couldn't tear myself away from it and watched it all the way through. And after seeing it for the third time, and inspite of what I said in another thread as a result of an article that I read, I can truly say that I liked this movie.

I liked it better than The Force Awaken and a lot of other sci-fi and fantasy movies that I've seen recently such as The Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Plus, like everyone else, movies have to do with personal taste and personal opinion... and this movie appeals to my personal taste. Also, I've heard everyone's analyzation of this movie... and once again, what they state as 'fact' is basically just personal opinion. Plus, if this movie was as bad as some people say that it is, it would have had Justice League or Solo revenues at the box office. But instead, it made $620,181,382 domestically and $1,332,539,889 internationally:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - Box Office Mojo

And I don't think that that many people would support a movie that they really didn't like.

Additionally, I loved the scene on the island when Luke was teaching Rey the ways of the force and had her close her eyes and 'feel' everything around her. It was very reminiscent of Yoda teaching Luke the ways of the force in The Empire Strikes Back. Also, I liked the whole Finn and Rose story arc on Canto Bight and on the lead Star Destroyer. Plus, I thought this movie had a lot of elements of Empire and Return of the Jedi, but yet, it had its own uniqueness and its own identity. And as far as Luke is concerned... I don't understand why none of the naysayers acknowledged(or perhaps even noticed) that Luke redeemed himself at the end the movie from his negative and defeatist point of view.

Also, I know that this might get a lot of 'boos' and 'hisses' for what I'm about to say, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Rian Johnson's vision would be of where the story would go in Episode IX. Plus, as the say of the TV game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?... "Is That Your Final Answer?"... yes, that's my final answer.

P.S. And I don't think that I've seen this mentioned in this thread... and this is the first time that I noticed this, but did anyone else notice that the little slave boy on Canto Bight used the force to pull a broom to himself at the top of the stairs at the end of the movie?

Star Wars The Last Jedi / Broom Boy Uses Force Scene (Ending)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFyN-x9cAc

Last edited by William Taylor; 07-03-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 07:18 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,040,527 times
Reputation: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I started to watch only the beginning of this movie on Netflix last night, however, I couldn't tear myself away from it and watched it all the way through. And after seeing it for the third time, and inspite of what I said in another thread as a result of an article that I read, I can truly say that I liked this movie.

I liked it better than The Force Awaken and a lot of other sci-fi and fantasy movies that I've seen recently such as The Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Plus, like everyone else, movies have to do with personal taste and personal opinion... and this movie appeals to my personal taste. Also, I've heard everyone's analyzation of this movie... and once again, what they state as 'fact' is basically just personal opinion. Plus, if this movie was as bad as some people say that it is, it would have had Justice League or Solo revenues at the box office. But instead, it made $620,181,382 domestically and $1,332,539,889 internationally:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - Box Office Mojo

And I don't think that that many people would support a movie that they really didn't like.

Additionally, I loved the scene on the island when Luke was teaching Rey the ways of the force and had her close her eyes and 'feel' everything around her. It was very reminiscent of Yoda teaching Luke the ways of the force in The Empire Strikes Back. Also, I liked the whole Finn and Rose story arc on Canto Bight and on the lead Star Destroyer. Plus, I thought this movie had a lot of elements of Empire and Return of the Jedi, but yet, it had its own uniqueness and its own identity. And as far as Luke is concerned... I don't understand why none of the naysayers acknowledged(or perhaps even noticed) that Luke redeemed himself at the end the movie from his negative and defeatist point of view.

Also, I know that this might get a lot of 'boos' and 'hisses' for what I'm about to say, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Rian Johnson's vision would be of where the story would go in Episode IX. Plus, as the say of the TV game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?... "Is That Your Final Answer?"... yes, that's my final answer.

P.S. And I don't think that I've seen this mentioned in this thread... and this is the first time that I noticed this, but did anyone else notice that the little slave boy on Canto Bight used the force to pull a broom to himself at the top of the stairs at the end of the movie?

Star Wars The Last Jedi / Broom Boy Uses Force Scene (Ending)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFyN-x9cAc
Well, after 24 hours and after over 60 views since I made my post yesterday... no challenges. Therefore, I guess it's safe to say that the force is with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 07:34 PM
 
17,614 posts, read 9,599,569 times
Reputation: 17057
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Well, after 24 hours and after over 60 views since I made my post yesterday... no challenges. Therefore, I guess it's safe to say that the force is with me.
De gustibus non disputandum est.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 AM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,040,527 times
Reputation: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
De gustibus non disputandum est.
What a diplomatic thing to say. Plus, I think that you deserved a rep for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Maine
14,828 posts, read 19,516,433 times
Reputation: 16852
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Well, after 24 hours and after over 60 views since I made my post yesterday... no challenges. Therefore, I guess it's safe to say that the force is with me.
I didn't like THE LAST JEDI. There were parts I liked, sure, but I though the whole train was a colossal wreck. But I don't think any movie is worth getting up in arms about.

This guy has a better response than I could ever do:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhOpY7bh6s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,040,527 times
Reputation: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I didn't like THE LAST JEDI. There were parts I liked, sure, but I though the whole train was a colossal wreck. But I don't think any movie is worth getting up in arms about.

This guy has a better response than I could ever do:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhOpY7bh6s
But why did you post that video? Because it's actually in support of us yea-sayers.

But, yes, I'll take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top