U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2017, 10:33 PM
 
4,582 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Reputation: 2672

Advertisements

"It's a trilogy...wait for the next movie!"

That appears to be the go-to defense for these new Star Wars movies. I heard that in 2017 and I'm hearing it now.

The third movie will regurgitate plot points from Jedi. We'll see Force Ghost Luke hanging out with Force Ghost Yoda, with appearances by Force Ghost Obi-Wan and Force Ghost Anakin. Maybe even Lando (not a ghost of any kind, just an old guy with a cape).

Don't be surprised if we have 2019's answer to Ewoks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 PM
 
7,982 posts, read 5,857,128 times
Reputation: 11795
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
And this is a complaint I've had since TFA. This entire franchise seems to be taking place in a universe where there are only rebels and Empire minions and no one else. I was hoping they would fix this issue in TLJ but it was even worse in this film. I hope it's not like this in the next installment.
To be fair the movies are long enough as it is. People will complain about irrelevant characters not connected to the main conflict getting significant time.

Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 08:47 AM
 
4,484 posts, read 2,451,530 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"It's a trilogy...wait for the next movie!"

That appears to be the go-to defense for these new Star Wars movies. I heard that in 2017 and I'm hearing it now.

The third movie will regurgitate plot points from Jedi. We'll see Force Ghost Luke hanging out with Force Ghost Yoda, with appearances by Force Ghost Obi-Wan and Force Ghost Anakin. Maybe even Lando (not a ghost of any kind, just an old guy with a cape).

Don't be surprised if we have 2019's answer to Ewoks.

The already missed the perfect opportunity for Lando on the casino world. In fact Lando should have been the code breaker instead of Del Toro. That would have greatly improved the movie for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 08:50 AM
 
4,484 posts, read 2,451,530 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
You didn't get the gist of my complaint.

So far, there has been no attempt at world building in TFA or TLJ. Literally, every single scene is taking place at either a rebel location with rebel characters or an empire set with empire minion characters. There are no scenes in which we're seeing all of this drama taking place in a vast universe filled with dozens of different places and billions of people living their lives.
The worlds have been built over the past 40 years through movies, books, comic books, animated shows and video games. I think the filmmakers rightfully believe that most of the audience are familiar with the Star Wars universe at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 05:37 PM
 
13,101 posts, read 7,192,869 times
Reputation: 21976
Just saw this movie yesterday and a few thoughts:

- I absolutely loved the movie. I suppose it helped I went in with meh expectations, but I really was into the entire movie from start to finish. That entire sequence with Kylo Ren and Rey towards the end was sensational, and the entire audience was on the edge of their seats. Kylo is one of the most fascinating characters to me in the whole Star Wars universe and I loved his scenes with Rey.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-kylo-ren-sith/

There's A Very Good Reason For That Shirtless Kylo Ren Scene in 'The Last Jedi' | Complex

- Visually, it was amazing. Not long ago I was watching Return of the Jedi and couldn't help but think how corny it seems now compared to when I was blown away as a kid. Especially the cheesy special effects. I'm not a huge fan of overdone CGI, but when it's done as well as it was here, it really enhances the movie.

- I'm not sure why Mark Hamill seems to be upset over his role. I thought he did a great job and it was nice to see one of the original cast members have such a major role.

- I have no idea if the final film in the trilogy is based on any source material, but my guess is that it's going to be a similar bittersweet ending like Return of the Jedi with Darth and Luke (Kylo and Rey).

- That potential love triangle was cheesy as hell though. I did like the character Rose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 05:56 PM
 
4,484 posts, read 2,451,530 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just saw this movie yesterday and a few thoughts:

- I absolutely loved the movie. I suppose it helped I went in with meh expectations, but I really was into the entire movie from start to finish. That entire sequence with Kylo Ren and Rey towards the end was sensational, and the entire audience was on the edge of their seats. Kylo is one of the most fascinating characters to me in the whole Star Wars universe and I loved his scenes with Rey.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-kylo-ren-sith/

There's A Very Good Reason For That Shirtless Kylo Ren Scene in 'The Last Jedi' | Complex

- Visually, it was amazing. Not long ago I was watching Return of the Jedi and couldn't help but think how corny it seems now compared to when I was blown away as a kid. Especially the cheesy special effects. I'm not a huge fan of overdone CGI, but when it's done as well as it was here, it really enhances the movie.

- I'm not sure why Mark Hamill seems to be upset over his role. I thought he did a great job and it was nice to see one of the original cast members have such a major role.

- I have no idea if the final film in the trilogy is based on any source material, but my guess is that it's going to be a similar bittersweet ending like Return of the Jedi with Darth and Luke (Kylo and Rey).

- That potential love triangle was cheesy as hell though. I did like the character Rose.
I'm not sure why Mark Hamill is upset either. It's his first significant acting role since Return of the Jedi other then voice acting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Montreal
163 posts, read 97,441 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm not sure why Mark Hamill seems to be upset over his role.
I'm sure he's happy about the paycheque and is a total professional enabling the director's vision of things. It's just that he had a vision of old Luke Skywalker and it did not jive in the least with the Luke Skywlaker of the new movies.

I'm someone who has read a lot of the old expanded universe books. While I still enjoyed the movie on pure entertainment value (didn't have a dull moment while watching), people like myself will probably never be able to enjoy it as much as those with a blank slate with regards to SW. The new movies manages to make one of the largest fictional universes, full of worlds, tiny and shallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
16,231 posts, read 49,023,901 times
Reputation: 25703
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
I'm sure he's happy about the paycheque and is a total professional enabling the director's vision of things. It's just that he had a vision of old Luke Skywalker and it did not jive in the least with the Luke Skywlaker of the new movies.

I'm someone who has read a lot of the old expanded universe books. While I still enjoyed the movie on pure entertainment value (didn't have a dull moment while watching), people like myself will probably never be able to enjoy it as much as those with a blank slate with regards to SW. The new movies manages to make one of the largest fictional universes, full of worlds, tiny and shallow.
After sitting with my responses for a few days, I have to agree. But then, anything made later than "Empire" has been a disappointment for me. I could have stabbed teddy bears after seeing the Ewoks, and I don't dare be around guinea pigs and potatoes after seeing their cinematic offspring. Come to think of it, if those little creatures had been played by a bunch of Mr. PotatoHeads it wouldn't have been much more jarring. Luke getting milk from the creature reminded me of how we used to draw soft drinks at the concession stands from the old Dole dispensers. It would have been a wonderful time to have an intermission, complete with the "Lets all go to the lobby" cartoon and jingle. If Disney or Lucas got a cut of concession sales, I would be surprised if such an opportunity for more money was missed. "Get your creature milk packaged in our special Star Wars collectable container, complete with nipple!"

Until franchises began happening in movies, there was not a whole lot of attention paid to longer story arcs. Each James Bond film was treated as a one off. Nick and Nora and Astra didn't develop as characters. "Empire" was a catalyst that made screenwriters think that multi-part movies were financially viable.

Sad to say, whatever original consideration of three trilogies that George, Marcia, and Joe might have envisioned, that chemistry and any increasing plot depth were lost. Even in written science fiction, the energy of an initial concept usually gets lost over time. Asimov had his Foundation trilogy, which worked well, but the subsequent additions became increasingly redundant and boring.

I have come to a point that I really don't care if I see another SW film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 03:24 PM
 
1,535 posts, read 558,060 times
Reputation: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The already missed the perfect opportunity for Lando on the casino world. In fact Lando should have been the code breaker instead of Del Toro. That would have greatly improved the movie for me
I was thinking the same thing. What a wasted opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 09:17 PM
 
Location: East Flatbush, Brooklyn
667 posts, read 183,665 times
Reputation: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I was thinking the same thing. What a wasted opportunity.
Rian Johnson didn't have Lando be the codebreaker because that character was supposed to be a duplicitous snake who sells the rebels out in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top