U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 AM

411 posts, read 108,484 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-GxIoQPXPg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM

771 posts, read 449,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I suspect that sequence will be forgotten entirely in the future.

But if they don't, they've also inserted a whole new issue in the story that they'll have to handle.

What they've done is create "villain behind the villain." The story is no longer about the Allies versus the Axis, they've now introduced "The Oligarchy Controlling Both Sides."

Lucas had avoided this in the prequel trilogy by making the arms dealers discrete worlds allied with one side or the other. Clone Wars provided details that the line could be blurred--some worlds wobbled between one side or the other, a few renegades could operated under the table--but it was still a pretty simple matter of Allies versus Axis.

The Axis would never allow its own arms industries to sell arms to the Allies. If the post-empire world has seen the rise of a Daddy Warbucks oligarchy with the power to operate boldly above the fray, they've shifted the fight to a level above merely fighting the First Order...now they need to get to the Oligarchy Controlling Both Sides.

But I suspect this entire sequence was merely an insertion of social cause fan support (they love puppies, too).

But this stems from nobody ever having actually fleshed out this universe in the first place. We have a lot to complain about the prequels, but a poorly fleshed out universe isn't one of them.
Agreed. The history of the New Republic between the Fall of Palpatine and Rise of Snoke needs to be fleshed out. If the New Republic had been doing great then there wouldn't be room the the First Order to rise.
To be fair some of the problems of this film was inherited from TFA.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Clearly the old movies were better because the good white males defeated the evil white males!
I don't agree with this sentiment but I definitely think it is a mistake on the director's part to make the First Order ships so monochromatic.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:25 AM

17,919 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't agree with this sentiment but I definitely think it is a mistake on the director's part to make the First Order ships so monochromatic.
There a a background to that (touched on in Star Wars: Rebels, which is still canon source material)--Palpatine did not like either non-humans or clones, so both were removed from the Imperial forces (with a couple of notable exceptions).

I don't know if it can be said that the First Order was devoid of non-white humans or females--there were, after all, Finn and Phasma, and I think I saw a couple of others.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 AM

11,399 posts, read 16,006,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I just saw it and I did enjoy it. Was it the best SW movie...no it was not. These new characters are not the equals of the heroes of the original movies. Rey is no Luke, Kylo Ren is no Darth Vader, Po and Finn are no Leia or Han Solo. No contest, the older characters are better, they are more authentic and believable heroes.

I also did not like the way they portray the older Luke as a bitter old man obsessed with failure. I believe Leia should have been the one to sacrifice herself to destroy the first order fleet. She also seemed to be treated as a sort of helpless character, not the brave princess she was. I realize this trilogy is about the new characters but they could have portrayed these characters truer to thier original attributes.

Still given these beefs I have with the movie I still enjoyed it. As a gen Xer I may be biased in my views, I also realize these new movies are written for millenials and even younger audiences.
Maybe it's because I'm a Millennial, but I find these characters far more believable than the original crew and also was not at all thrown by Luke. Luke was never Obi Wan Kenobi and he was never Yoda - he was seriously flawed and that's what made him a good hero.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Star Wars: Attack of the Mary Sue should be the next film!
Leaving the film, my boyfriend turned to me and said, "So there are plot holes but who violently hates this movie?"

My response: "Profoundly insecure dudes."

Thanks for proving my point.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There a a background to that (touched on in Star Wars: Rebels, which is still canon source material)--Palpatine did not like either non-humans or clones, so both were removed from the Imperial forces (with a couple of notable exceptions).

I don't know if it can be said that the First Order was devoid of non-white humans or females--there were, after all, Finn and Phasma, and I think I saw a couple of others.
Both are in masks. I think everyone that talked on a bridge were white. Snoke is probably non-human though.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:01 AM

411 posts, read 108,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Leaving the film, my boyfriend turned to me and said, "So there are plot holes but who violently hates this movie?"

My response: "Profoundly insecure dudes."

Thanks for proving my point.
Yeah the film prove the film's women commanders were incompetent and the mutiny was justified and the girl power sjws can't win a war!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 AM

17,919 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Both are in masks. I think everyone that talked on a bridge were white. Snoke is probably non-human though.
Black brits sound an awful lot like white Brits (at least to a non-Brit).

Ultimately, Star Wars is no more white than most other movies still are.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Yeah the film prove the film's women commanders were incompetent and the mutiny was justified and the girl power sjws can't win a war!
Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or