Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:27 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The SJW's at Disney ruined the franchise.

The whole movie was thinly-veiled liberal propaganda of women/minorities fighting and winning against the evil white male First Order.

Plus floating Leia was just dumb.
Clearly the old movies were better because the good white males defeated the evil white males!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
You know what be an interesting if in the next movie learn that Kylo and Rey are related. Here this out what if Rey and Kylo have no parental lineage. Kylo was adopted and Rey was adopted. Reys family was taken out by Snoke. Prior to Snoke arrival Rey was given to another family that were Space Junkers. Who then we're taken put by smugglers and Rey eventually ended up on Jakuu. That Han went to Jakku to look for Rey. On Jakuu could not find her and loss the Millennium Falcon due to gambling debt collected there.

Also in the next movie Lei with Lt. Kaydel and a few other Rebels are on a planet. On the planet two Knights of Ren show up. Lei pulls back her Cloak it's Obi Wans lightsaber. Small flashback of Luke training Lei with a lightsaber. Then flashes back as she lights the saber blocking a few hits before being struck down by one of the Knights. However, this action gives enough time for the Rebels to escape from the Knights of Ren.

Last edited by RunD1987; 12-22-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Also be interesting if DJ was named Dango Jango. Explore briefly his backstory saying how his family can trace themselves back to Mandalore. That his Uncle was Jango Fett. Then show him with the Lapel maybe connect the Lapel to a fanily member who passed away in the crossfires of the Empire/Rebels.

Also maybe connect Rose to the Acient Order of the Whills and help Rey find kyber crystals.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:44 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times
Dango Jango, hahahahahaha!

Old 12-23-2017, 02:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:

The whole movie was thinly-veiled liberal propaganda of women/minorities fighting and winning against the evil white male First Order.

Plus floating Leia was just dumb.
I was wondering when an alt-right troll was going to make an appearance in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Well all of the Disney Star Wars movies are about "strong female characters" aka princesses like everything else they do. While they do have one of everyone represented for equality, it's clear that women are the only ones that have any power in these movies. Poe and Finn are both buffoons that need a female character to save them from themselves. Rey is already a stronger Jedi then Luke and doesn't need to listen to him or even finish her training because it's a waste of her time. And Kylo is a whiny twerp who is clearly going to either be defeated by Rey or manipulated into joining her on the light side of the force.
If this is what you gleamed from the film then it says a lot more about you then anything else.

I enjoyed this one more than TFA which really was a complete whole plot reference to A New Hope. Even though this film clearly has plot references to Episodes V and VI it doesn't overtake the whole plot. And it sets up these references so they can be subverted.

The message of failures and learning and growing from them was also great and lent itself to character development.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:44 PM

666 posts, read 512,257 times
Quote:

Yeah. Isn't it great?

Old 12-23-2017, 08:58 PM

I just saw this and loved it a lot better than TFA. I thought everything about the story and the characters were perfect. I love the fact that Luke was a crotchety, bitter old man filled with self-doubt. I love the fact that Kylo doesn't get redeemed. The tone, the action sequences, everything was on point...except...

And this is a complaint I've had since TFA. This entire franchise seems to be taking place in a universe where there are only rebels and Empire minions and no one else. I was hoping they would fix this issue in TLJ but it was even worse in this film. I hope it's not like this in the next installment.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
You know what be an interesting if in the next movie learn that Kylo and Rey are related.
I don't think they're going to do that. TLJ tried teasing that possibility by giving them a "link" like they gave Luke and Leia a link, but then pulled a "psyche!" when it turned out that it had been Snoke who was making the link all along.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:57 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
I just saw this and loved it a lot better than TFA. I thought everything about the story and the characters were perfect. I love the fact that Luke was a crotchety, bitter old man filled with self-doubt. I love the fact that Kylo doesn't get redeemed. The tone, the action sequences, everything was on point...except...

And this is a complaint I've had since TFA. This entire franchise seems to be taking place in a universe where there are only rebels and Empire minions and no one else. I was hoping they would fix this issue in TLJ but it was even worse in this film. I hope it's not like this in the next installment.
Again, it's like everyone is forgetting this is a trilogy. We haven't reached the third act yet. I'm sure Kylo will be redeemed. The first two episodes set it up for him to leave the dark for the light and join Rey. Darth Vader was redeemed in Return of the Jedi and I'd be shocked if Kylo isn't in the next movie since they are basically remaking the original trilogy. This movie even ends with an unhappy ending with Leia aboard a ship in the infirmary. It's the exact same ending as Empire except Luke was in the ship's infirmary as the badly beaten rebels are heading off to regroup.

The only problem people should have with this movie or TFA is the lack or originality because they basically made New Hope and Empire with new characters

Old 12-23-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Again, it's like everyone is forgetting this is a trilogy. We haven't reached the third act yet.
You didn't get the gist of my complaint.

So far, there has been no attempt at world building in TFA or TLJ. Literally, every single scene is taking place at either a rebel location with rebel characters or an empire set with empire minion characters. There are no scenes in which we're seeing all of this drama taking place in a vast universe filled with dozens of different places and billions of people living their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies