Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 02:42 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Anyone had a problem with a 24 y.o. dating a 17 y.o.?
Not in this case. It is Elio, the 17-year-old who is obsessed with Oliver, the 24-year-old. The movie has yet to open where I live, but I have read the book a couple of times. It's the romance of a lifetime for the younger man, who is actually the more mature individual of the two. The age difference has melted away by the time you get to the end. It's mainly there to provide a reason for Oliver to be at Elio's father's house, i.e., he's Professor Perlman's summer graduate assistant for 1983 (there's a new one every year). Graduate assistants tend to be 23, 24, 25, etc. That's why Oliver's 24.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 03:18 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Not in this case. It is Elio, the 17-year-old who is obsessed with Oliver, the 24-year-old. The movie has yet to open where I live, but I have read the book a couple of times. It's the romance of a lifetime for the younger man, who is actually the more mature individual of the two. The age difference has melted away by the time you get to the end. It's mainly there to provide a reason for Oliver to be at Elio's father's house, i.e., he's Professor Perlman's summer graduate assistant for 1983 (there's a new one every year). Graduate assistants tend to be 23, 24, 25, etc. That's why Oliver's 24.
Yeah, I mentioned that maybe I needed to read the book because for me, the romance seemed to kind of start out of nowhere when I was watching the film. But I still enjoyed the movie. I was watching something the other day where Armie Hammer (the actor who plays Oliver) said that his mother refuses to see the movie because it goes against her personal beliefs. On the other hand, Timothée Chalamet’s (Elio) parents have seen it and they’re supportive, although I can imagine that it might be awkward to see your son doing love scenes. The movie isn’t gratuitous or explicit though, in my opinion.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:23 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The movie isn’t gratuitous or explicit though, in my opinion.
It's not explicit at all, it's really vanilla as far as nudity goes. There wasn't any proper sex scene. Chalamet and Hammer both had no nudity clauses in their contracts.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I was very impressed with the film. The character Elias reminded me very much of a childhood friend and his parents, mature and in love with life. And, the film makes me miss Italy’s country side. A beautifully done film.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:36 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I saw it again last night. It is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I saw it again last night. It is one of my favorite movies of all time.
I’ve seen it twice now too! I can only hope that it will win in one or more of the Oscar categories that it’s been nominated for. It definitely deserves to win something!

Old 01-28-2018, 01:53 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
I thought it was a good movie and while obviously the romantic attraction is about two males it’s more of a story of that first big summer romantic attraction we all have as young human beings where just the look, touch or words from that who we are attracted to makes you giddy. At the end everyone knew it wasn’t going to last.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Anyone had a problem with a 24 y.o. dating a 17 y.o.?
yes, didn't feel at ease with that - also, the AIDs epidemic was pretty high at this time (80's) and that was in the back of my mind during the movie

Old 03-31-2018, 10:50 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Thought it was just ok..nice scenery, but maybe ya gotta be a gay male or a straight woman to go apesheet over it?

Frankly, I thought it was such an over the top 'entitlement' story of rich mega-liberal intellectuals living in the Garden of Eden where nothing can go wrong with life unless you make a boo-boo.

I'll take 'Moonlight' over this fairy tale any day.
But that's just cynical old me.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Thought it was just ok..nice scenery, but maybe ya gotta be a gay male or a straight woman to go apesheet over it?

Frankly, I thought it was such an over the top 'entitlement' story of rich mega-liberal intellectuals living in the Garden of Eden where nothing can go wrong with life unless you make a boo-boo.

I'll take 'Moonlight' over this fairy tale any day.
But that's just cynical old me.
Yeah, maybe so. I saw it twice in the theater and there were a lot of men there the first time, but mostly women the second time. I can understand why a straight man might feel awkward or uninterested in seeing it. Hopefully more people who may have been uncomfortable seeing it in theaters are seeing it now that it’s available to rent and purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies