U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,455,551 times

Advertisements

Love it, and funny it's mentioned as I just bought it off Ebay a couple of days ago.

I have no idea why I love it. Probably because of the sacrilege done to the music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Status: "The most courageous act is thinking for yourself" (set 20 hours ago)

16,890 posts, read 21,382,252 times
Everything about it is great. Acting, music, story, costume design, cinematography, editing, etc.

As for the ending, it's vague so the viewer of the film can have his own ideas about what happens to Alex, in order to make one think. This is not the only Kubrick film with a vague ending.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:27 AM

15,699 posts, read 14,888,510 times
I saw it in a theater when it first came out and was bored silly.

Saw it years later and got a lot of meaning out of it. Wondered why I had hated it the first time. Now I can't remember what was so great about it but there must have been something to it. Maybe you have to see it twice.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 475,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Everything about it is great. Acting, music, story, costume design, cinematography, editing, etc.

As for the ending, it's vague so the viewer of the film can have his own ideas about what happens to Alex, in order to make one think. This is not the only Kubrick film with a vague ending.
I can understand that they wanted to be vague, and draw your own conclusions, but the story doesn't really have anything interesting to say about this futuristic world, or Alex's cure. Only that the cure is flawed and riddled with side effects. There doesn't seem to be a real theme to the cure, and that was my problem with it.

Even if we do not know what happens to Alex, that is not the point. The movie not having a theme in the cure is the problem for the ending, as it does not pay off. A vague ending is good if you still manage to pay off the theme, but I didn't feel they did here.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I can understand that they wanted to be vague, and draw your own conclusions, but the story doesn't really have anything interesting to say about this futuristic world, or Alex's cure. Only that the cure is flawed and riddled with side effects. There doesn't seem to be a real theme to the cure, and that was my problem with it.

Even if we do not know what happens to Alex, that is not the point. The movie not having a theme in the cure is the problem for the ending, as it does not pay off. A vague ending is good if you still manage to pay off the theme, but I didn't feel they did here.
The theme is anti-social engineering and crticism of science providing allp-powerful solutions to social problems,as supposed "cures" often create more problems than they solve

Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 AM

1,364 posts, read 475,874 times
Okay that makes sense, but that is a good idea for a movie, and there is so much you can do with that idea, rather than the cure, causing someone not to be able to stand Beethoven over and over again. It feels like missed opportunities to explore the themes more thoroughly.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:40 AM

6,775 posts, read 5,148,937 times
I remember when that came out when I was a kid. Also, I remember "I am curious yellow". Didn't see that either. The late 60's, and early 70's were full of movie strangeness. I think it was the drugs.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:52 AM

15,778 posts, read 47,719,627 times
I've come to think that one has to have at least a passing knowledge of the British gangs and the way kids are treated in Britain to appreciate the film. It can be much different than an experience growing up stateside. Personally, I didn't care for the film at the time, but I was just not into that type of movie.

"I am curious - yellow" is a movie I didn't "get" until I rented the DVD with the extensive intro and explanation of Sweden during that era. IMO, the explanation is better than the film. In the U.S., IACY was all about breaking censorship from the straight jacket of the 1950s and 1960s. Ginsberg's "Howl" broke ground for literature, and IACY broke ground for film.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Okay that makes sense, but that is a good idea for a movie, and there is so much you can do with that idea, rather than the cure, causing someone not to be able to stand Beethoven over and over again. It feels like missed opportunities to explore the themes more thoroughly.
Curing him of his propensity to commit violence made him at the same time unable to withstand the things he loved like Beethoven and turned him from a thug to a snowflake.

Much like SSRIs

Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 PM

4,197 posts, read 1,610,177 times
Quote:
But what do you think, did I miss something?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies