U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 AM

2,872 posts, read 950,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Curing him of his propensity to commit violence made him at the same time unable to withstand the things he loved like Beethoven and turned him from a thug to a snowflake.

Much like SSRIs
But the movie already made that point the first time he wasn't able to stand Beethoven, or able to defend himself. But putting him in the situation where he can't stand Beethoven 2 more times, the movie overmakes it point, and it's third act is devoted to making a point, 2 more times, that it has already made.

If the point was to show that the cure had bad side effects, and not being able to withstand the things he loved, then why didn't the movie just end, after the first time he wasn't able to stand Beethoven? Why did it recycle itself, and overmake the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM

3,445 posts, read 1,478,856 times
It is about free will, psychiatrists, are we naturally moral or is it bc we've been conditioned.
He loved Beethoven but they made it so he would hate it. The same way that psychiatry can kill the things that make you feel happy or even just feel like you.
It's also about how the government can brainwash the masses.
I mean, there's a lot there.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Yeah but I feel that it was lacking in exploration, because the entire last half about seems to be completely from Alex's point of view. There are no government characters or psychiatrists in the last half to help explore the theme, that was introduced.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM

5,568 posts, read 2,406,644 times
The entire film is from Alex's point of view.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:25 PM

But I think that hurts the movie, as in to explore these themes, we need different points of views, cause different characters, can shed different lights. Usually in other movies, the writers create supporting characters in an effort to drive certain points of views on the theme, so I felt this one could have benefited from this as well.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But I think that hurts the movie, as in to explore these themes, we need different points of views, cause different characters, can shed different lights. Usually in other movies, the writers create supporting characters in an effort to drive certain points of views on the theme, so I felt this one could have benefited from this as well.
We agree to disagree. The movie would only collapse inward i.e. implode were third person PoV employed.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:21 PM

11,264 posts, read 16,773,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It is about free will, psychiatrists, are we naturally moral or is it bc we've been conditioned.
He loved Beethoven but they made it so he would hate it. The same way that psychiatry can kill the things that make you feel happy or even just feel like you.
It's also about how the government can brainwash the masses.
I mean, there's a lot there.
+1

Add to that great camera work, brilliant use of music, and a fantastic adaptation from the Burgess novel.

A great movie by a great director.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
+1

Add to that great camera work, brilliant use of music, and a fantastic adaptation from the Burgess novel.

A great movie by a great director.
Wendy Carlos' score is one of the greatest things to happen to film music. The (year) 2000 CD reissue Clockwork Orange (drops the A) is a must, but it's also OOP now and you won't find it on the cheap. It's all the music Carlos did for the film.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Oh okay, I felt the camera work was not as good by him this time, and it looked more like a made for TV movie, compared to his others.

I have only six five of Kubrick's movies though so far, and I liked the rest for sure.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:55 PM

22,123 posts, read 5,474,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, I felt the camera work was not as good by him this time, and it looked more like a made for TV movie, compared to his others.

I have only six five of Kubrick's movies though so far, and I liked the rest for sure.
Try this Kubrick movie for interesting camera work.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gyyGHHXfck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies