U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:23 AM

1,098 posts, read 370,754 times

Advertisements

Well, such a list for me is a moving target. But at the moment it might include...

(in no particular order)

Once Upon a Time in the West
The western at its most realized.

The Passenger
The 1975 Antonioni film and Jack Nicholson's peak as an actor, in my opinion.

The Seventh Seal
Highly stylized in a way that contrasts with modern film but so deliciously brimming with existential angst and metaphors related to such questions.

Apocalypse Now
I shouldn't need to explain this one.

The Shining
It's Kubrick. And Nicholson. And since I'm not one of those poor fools that lets anything about a novel influence how I view a movie that draws from the novel as source material, I don't waste my time complaining that it's not 'true' to it (it can't be - no decent film can be).

Let the Right One In
Probably the best modern take of the vampire genre. [Note: though I prefer the Swedish original, the 2010 English version set in New Mexico is terrific in that it retains the tone of the first film and doesn't offer the usual compromises for the American audience intended to boost the box office take]

The Graduate
Yes, it has its flaws. But its delights - brilliant cinema, an incisive examination of the clash of generations, and the delicious way it just oozes that late 60s vibe - more than compensate.

Downfall
This is a draining, almost difficult film to watch, which only speaks to the heights it reaches in its portrayals.

Five Easy Pieces
Yeah, Nicholson again. There's a reason for that. Anyway, the depth of the characters, especially Bobby Dupea, is so viscerally revealed that this film is an entrancing delight every time I see it.

The Big Lebowski
Well, this is just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 AM

11,480 posts, read 6,605,175 times
Second ten.

The Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood "Dollars Trilogy". (see what I did there? three for one!)
Big Trouble in Little China
The Producers
Fort Apache
Master and Commander, the far side of the world.
The Bedford Incident
They were Expendable
North by Northwest
The Ipcress File
The Great Escape

Old 01-01-2018, 07:50 AM

15,932 posts, read 19,718,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Geronimo - an interesting choice, no doubt I saw that decades ago when I wore my cowboy outfits but have no memory of it now!
My mistake! The film "Geronimo" starred Chuck Connors, yes-decades ago. The one I meant was the 1993 film "Geronimo-An American Legend." Native American actor Wes Studi portrayed Geronimo. It had other several big name actors:

Gene Hackman--Brig. General George Crook
Robert Duval--Scout Al Sieber
Jason Patric--Lt. Charles Gatewood
Matt Damon--Second Lt. Britton Davis (Damon provides some narration at the start and the end of the movie.)
Kevin Tighe-Brig.General Nelson Miles

I've talked to several City data members who live around the country who told me the film was not at their cinemas for long. I have Showtime and HBO and over the years those networks have shown the movie a time or two. 95% of the movie was filmed a short distance from Moab, Utah. I live an hour and a half from there. Hefe, if you haven't seen the film, well I recommend it!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:20 AM

2,012 posts, read 1,121,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
My mistake! The film "Geronimo" starred Chuck Connors, yes-decades ago. The one I meant was the 1993 film "Geronimo-An American Legend." Native American actor Wes Studi portrayed Geronimo. It had other several big name actors:

Gene Hackman--Brig. General George Crook
Robert Duval--Scout Al Sieber

....... 95% of the movie was filmed a short distance from Moab, Utah. I live an hour and a half from there. Hefe, if you haven't seen the film, well I recommend it!
Still never heard of this one but just the fact it has two of my favorite actors in it elevates it for me (all it needs is Michael Caine for the trifecta). And I lived in UT for several years in the 80's & Moab became a favorite spot so this puts it on my must see list.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:28 AM

7,672 posts, read 2,667,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
1. The Departed
2. Breakfast Club
3. Zero Dark Thirty
4. Seven
5. Saving Private Ryan
6. Rocky Balboa (yes, better than the original Rocky)
7. Breakdown
8. Sideways
9. The Hangover
10. City Island
Breakdown makes another top 10 list!

Seven was good but creepy.

Didn't like The Breakfast Club.

Didn't see any of the other ones.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:31 AM

38,733 posts, read 30,781,546 times
OK, I'm not going to overthink this - this is a list (in no particular order) of movies I've seen over and over again and continue to enjoy each time:

Pulp Fiction
The Sound of Music
Fiddler on the Roof
Gone With The Wind
O Brother Where Art Thou
Lonesome Dove (I know - it's a miniseries, so sue me)
The Color Purple
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Full Metal Jacket
Bridget Jones Diary

I jotted this list quickly before perusing the rest of the thread, because I wanted to see which movies just jumped into my mind as movies I've seen and enjoyed over and over again. Are they the BEST movies I've ever seen? Not necessarily. But they are enjoyable to me time and again. I can't NOT watch them if I stumble across them when I'm channel surfing, and I occasionally rewatch each of these. I've probably seen every one of these movies at least ten times each - some more than that.

OH MY GOSH, I FORGOT "NAPOLEON DYNAMITE!"

Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 AM

38,733 posts, read 30,781,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Last of the Mohicans...how could I leave it out???

[/b]
OK, no lie. I ALWAYS fall asleep during this movie - usually some time around the time that they're all in that log cabin sweating at night talking about something or other, and then I wake up about the time that girl is throwing herself over the cliff.

I'm sure it's a great movie so I don't know why I can never manage to stay awake during it but there you have it.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Network
Casablanca
Fargo
Annie Hall
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Some Like it Hot
Vertigo
8 1/2
Jules & Jim

And I will throw in a joker to this deck: "The Big Lebowski" which has grown on me with repeated viewings.
"Oh Brother Where Art Thou" joins "The Searchers" as the 2 I should've had in my original list, replacing "Annie Hall" & "Jules & Jim".

But to have three Coen Bros entries.... (& I almost put "Blood Simple" in the original list also which I have watched countless times.)

Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 AM
BMI

6,042 posts, read 3,408,565 times
TWELVE ANGRY MEN(1957) ....Almost entire movie is in one room...
but it blows away any big budget action movie. Fantastic cast....Henry Fonda...Jack Klugman....Robert Webber....and my fave Lee J Cobb, brilliant.

FIVE EASY PIECES (1970)....Powerhouse acting by Jack Nicholson, an amazing movie to watch over and over again. The success of Easy Rider gave Bob Raefelson the green light to make Five Easy Pieces, and to cast Jack Nicholson, what a treat.

TAXI DRIVER (1976) Just like Nicholson, Robert DeNiro shines in this movie...he becomes Travis Bickle,fascinating to watch his descent into madness and alienation.

THE CONVERSATION (1974).... Made before Watergate but had perfect timing being released during the scandal. Gene Hackman is always good but he is Harry Caul, increasingly paranoid. Great cast includingAlan Garfield, Cindy Williams, and a young Harrison Ford.

BLOW UP (1966) ...Mezmerising film, still puzzling after watching it many times. David Hemmings was perfect for the part of cool dashing swinging 60s photographer, even features the Yardbirds!

TWO-LANE BLACKTOP (1971) Could be my fave of all time. Warren Oates is a powerhouse!!
He should have gotten 5 academy awards. No traditional story here, great interesting cast
including James Taylor! and Beach Boy Dennis Wilson! Both no actors ....they don’t need to act,they play low key young gear heads perfectly. Warren Oates does the acting

VANISHING POINT (1971) Another “car” movie...my guilty pleasure...Barry Newman perfectly
cast as driver “Kowalski” ...driving a white 1970 Challenger R/T from Denver to Frisco on a bet. The Challenger is the star....I’ve always wanted to own the exact same car.

DELIVERENCE (1972) Directed by John Boorman, shot on location. Great cast, Burt Reynolds,
Ned Beatty, Ronny Cox, and Jon Voight. And who can forget those mountain men...with those
famous lines “squeal like a pig”

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST (1975) ....Again the great Jack Nicholson...no one can play unhinged better than Nicholson...great cast too, including a young Danny Devito. Filmed on location at a real mental institution...the cast actually stayed there!

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968) Landmark film, far ahead of it’s time, even George Lucas admits
he was inspired by it when filming Star Wars almost a decade later.
Who can forget creepy computer “Hal” ...showing more emotion than the humans in this movie.

Last edited by BMI; 01-01-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUKOO’S NEST (1975) ....Again the great Jack Nicholson...no one can play unhinged better than Nicholson...great cast too, including a young Dannh Devito. Filmed on location at a real mental institution...the cast actually stayed there!

Back in '72 or '73, after reading the book, I grabbed a friend one weekend afternoon who was just "hanging out on the ave" & talked him into coming with me to see an off-off Broadway theatrical production of this somewhere downtown NYC, probably Soho. It was a tiny theatre, almost in the round iirc, with an almost bare stage - just a few chairs & tables & light projections on scrims for backgrounds. The cast of unknowns contained several of the actors who would go on to play the same parts in the film a few years later (including Danny DeVito). MacMurphy was played by William Devane who did a riveting job & went on to success in tv from there.

Ironically my hometown buddy went on to become schizophrenic himself as he entered his 20's, last anyone saw or heard about him he was homeless wandering the streets of NYC in the late 70's or early 80's, probably long gone now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or