Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

As we near the end of 2017 and look back on the year, what have been your favorite films?

I haven't seen a lot, but my picks:

- Logan (my favorite of 2017). As much as I have nitpicked comic book/super hero films in the past, I do enjoy well done such movies. I've always liked the Wolverine character because to me his films weren't necessarily about yet another 'save the world' cliche fest with battles taking place in and throughout a metropolitan city. His were more about his own inner demons and battles, and Logan really did this theme well. A very intense movie throughout, with some very emotional moments, and a fitting swan song for a great movie/comic book character.

- Wonder Woman. Another great super hero movie, what made this movie were the great fighting sequences (the entire "No Man's Land" extended sequence through the village were some of the best such scenes ever), and of course the subtle scenes between Diana and Trevor, some of the most romantic and moving scenes I've seen. Yes, the underlying theme was how Wonder Woman saves the world, but it was done in such a way set against the backdrop of WW2, that it was totally believable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuEga-e5_6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAaJPWgDTGc

- The Last Jedi. It seems to be popular to jump on the nitpicky hate bandwagon on this one, but I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it (any Star Wars movie could be nitpicked to death really). To me this movie was more in spirit with the original trilogy than any of the other movies that preceded it. I was on edge of my seat most of the movie. Compelling characters both main and side, interesting plot developments, fantastic action sequences, all set up for what I hope will be a great finale in two years.

- War for the Planet of the Apes. I didn't care too much for the previous Apes movies, but this one finally did it for me. CGI was fantastic and seamless. I've always liked 'journey' movies where the protagonists embark on a meaningful journey towards an end. it helped that Woody Harrelson was in it, a compelling and not a typical one dimensional villain.

- It. In the main It thread, I posted a link as to one theory as to why the movie was such a big box office success, and that theory was that It was basically a modern version of a Freddy Kreuger movie. And personally speaking, I have to agree, and that is probably why I liked it so much. The Pennywise character and many of the scary sequences reminded me so much of those 80's and 90's type movies. Some very scary moments and I can't wait for the sequel.

- John Wick, Chapter 2. I love unpretentious movies like these, just straight up non stop action with some amazing gun fighting choreography and fighting sequences.

- Shot Caller. The best prison based movie I've ever seen, and one of the best crime dramas I've ever seen also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 07:27 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Lady Bird, Get Out, Wonder Woman

Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Better watch Out

Old 12-30-2017, 10:42 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,937 times
Wonder Woman
I seen it 5 times in theatres which I never do and Gal Gadot was just so amazing!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
Gifted definitely.

Megan Leavey

Stronger

The Beguiled

Mountain Between Us, haven't watch it yet pending as positive.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:26 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Going to try and see I, Tonya tonight. I expect it to break into the top 10. We'll see. ....

01 Darkest Hour
02 The Killing of a Sacred Deer
03 The Florida Project
04 I, Daniel Blake
05 Molly's Game
06 The Foreigner
07 mother!
08 Wonderstruck
09 Last Flag Flying
10 IT

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies