U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 AM

1,599 posts, read 665,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Kevin Kostner in anything. Tom Cruise in anything. Everybody in Philadelphia - no, wait, maybe it was just the worst movie, not the worst performances.

As for Brokeback Mountain, sorry KathrynAragon, but it was Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger and I think it's the best thing Heath Ledger did.
IMO, the best thing Heath did was The Dark Knight. His performance in that just blows me away every time I see it. He deserved that Oscar dead or alive!

As for the most overrated. Anything from Will Smith. I just can’t get past any the fact that all his characters are “Will Smith pretending to be so and so character”. He is a victim of his own presence on screen unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 1,279,189 times
Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson

Gibson's only really decent film was "Braveheart" and perhaps "Gallipoli". His first two Mad Max films were okay, but Lethal Weapon is seriously dated and overrated in my book. And he really hasn't done much of any depth or note since.

Likewise with Murphy: "48 Hours" and "Coming to America" were highlights, but he's very much a one-trick pony delivering mediocre and samey films.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 AM

14,840 posts, read 19,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Gibson's only really decent film was "Braveheart" and perhaps "Gallipoli". His first two Mad Max films were okay, but Lethal Weapon is seriously dated and overrated in my book. And he really hasn't done much of any depth or note since.
GALLIPOLI is great. I think MAD MAX was trash, but THE ROAD WARRIOR is great. BRAVEHEART is historic nonsense, but a good movie nonetheless. And even though I don't consider myself much of a Mel fan, even I will admit the first two LETHAL WEAPON movies are good, dumb fun, but he also did some other truly great movies:

HAMLET. His version of this is still one of the best ever made.

PAYBACK. Great movie, though be sure you see the original release and not the director's cut, which took all the fun out.

THE BOUNTY. This is by far the best version of this story. A great, great movie.

THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY. I don't love this movie like some others do, but it's good.

MAVERICK. Great popcorn flick.

CONSPIRACY THEORY. More dumb fun.

CHICKEN RUN. Great, great movie and Mel is great in it.

SIGNS. All you haters keep hatin. I don't care. This is a great movie.

APOCALYPTO. Another great movie, though Gibson isn't onscreen but behind camera. Still a great movie.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 AM

4,509 posts, read 1,853,734 times
I love Jack's performance in Cuckoo. And he fit the part he played in As Good As It Gets. And I liked him in A Few Good Men.

I don'tunderstand all the Jack hate.

I don't watch movies for actors. I watch because of a good storyline.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:57 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,056,940 times
Dustin Hoffman in Rainman.
Not saying he wasn't good but.. all the hoopla over him was way over the top as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM

14,840 posts, read 19,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Jack Nicholson in any performance he ever had. Nothing but outrageous mugging and way over the top leering and eyebrow arching. Seriously, how did this guy get so many oscar nominations? Must be the great parties he throws.
His acting in the '70s was truly great. One of the greats of the era.

But beginning in the '80s, he just started playing himself in movie after movie.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,193,117 times
the entire ensemble of Munchkins in Wizard of Oz, terrible singers and dancers and many missed queues in their performance, and those faked dubbed-in voices, please! The very definition of overacting and overrated

...should have used giant hobos instead

Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM

2,251 posts, read 1,238,543 times
Has to be Pacino in Scarface... I thought he would start foaming at the mouth & knock down the scenery & begin eating it, has to be the acting equivalent of professional wrestling.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:09 PM

1,435 posts, read 500,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I love Jack's performance in Cuckoo. And he fit the part he played in As Good As It Gets. And I liked him in A Few Good Men.

I don'tunderstand all the Jack hate.

I don't watch movies for actors. I watch because of a good storyline.
Yes.

There are long scenes The Passenger without any dialogue and with just Nicholson in them. And he has to carry those scenes with no words, all by himself. And he does. Brilliantly. Or the scene towards the end of Five Easy Pieces where he opens up to his wheelchair-bound, mute father from whom he is alienated finally breaking down at the end. An almost impossible scene to simply pull off, and he does so masterfully.

But I suppose such things are wasted on those who measure the passage of time by the release of new Fast & Furious installments...

Oh, and I do watch a film for the acting. Not always. Sometimes a storyline is my focus. But not always. There are great films that barely have stories.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM

2,264 posts, read 586,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, well~~

I think both Julia R and Jennifer L are very over blown in everything they've done. Sandra Bullock is my girl, though, and always does a great job.

I agree with Jack N - have never understood that one - the same for DiCaprio (what's with this short guy and his fetish for models????). He was all wrong for Gatsby.

Now Colin Firth - I rarely get crushes on actors but I wouldn't kick him out of my bed for eating crackers. He was perfect for King's Speech.

Pierce Brosnan in Mama Mia - terrible singer - just absolutely terrible. He's great eye candy but singing isn't a talent of his.

B Streisand was absolutely perfect for Funny Girl - I can't think of anyone that could have done it as well or better.

Totally agree with Pacino an Scent of a Woman - I have never been able to watch that movie in it's entirety. Pacino was excellent in all 3 Godfather movies but can't say I've liked him since.

So that's my 2 cents worth.
I'm not crazy about Pacino period, and that includes the Godfather movies, but, I just don't care for the Mafia themed movies to begin with. However, I did love Pacino in The Devil's Advocate. He owned that role!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies