U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:32 PM

667 posts, read 232,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Has to be Pacino in Scarface... I thought he would start foaming at the mouth & knock down the scenery & begin eating it, has to be the acting equivalent of professional wrestling.
You just reminded me of two more actors whose performances I think have been overrated a lot--Robert DeNiro in everything he's been in and Ray Liotta in Goodfellas.

I used to have a lot of respect for DeNiro but over time I realized that he's really not much of an actor. He's a one note character actor. Don't get me wrong--he's good at playing that one note, but he has no range at all. He's kind of like Pacino, Charlton Heston, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne and these other types who yes--they shone onscreen in their movies--but only in very limited roles where they were perfectly cast and in which directors knew how to make the most of their limitations.

Ray Liotta, his performance has always bugged me in Goodfellas. Whenever he imitates Hill's laugh, he couldn't sound or look more fake or forced. Yet ironically, that "Am I a clown" scene is the one that everyone sees as a pinnacle of acting by both Liotta and Pesci. Well, Pesci was good in that scene but Liotta was forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:57 PM

5,589 posts, read 2,425,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
GALLIPOLI is great. I think MAD MAX was trash, but THE ROAD WARRIOR is great. BRAVEHEART is historic nonsense, but a good movie nonetheless. And even though I don't consider myself much of a Mel fan, even I will admit the first two LETHAL WEAPON movies are good, dumb fun, but he also did some other truly great movies:

HAMLET. His version of this is still one of the best ever made.

PAYBACK. Great movie, though be sure you see the original release and not the director's cut, which took all the fun out.

THE BOUNTY. This is by far the best version of this story. A great, great movie.

THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY. I don't love this movie like some others do, but it's good.

MAVERICK. Great popcorn flick.

CONSPIRACY THEORY. More dumb fun.

CHICKEN RUN. Great, great movie and Mel is great in it.

SIGNS. All you haters keep hatin. I don't care. This is a great movie.

APOCALYPTO. Another great movie, though Gibson isn't onscreen but behind camera. Still a great movie.
I am shocked by this post. Shocked. I agree with all of the above, except the "Max Max was trash" part.

Where is MarkuS and what have you done with him?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 PM

5,589 posts, read 2,425,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One that comes to mind is Heath Ledger as Joker (Dark Knight). I'm not saying it's a bad performance by any means, but I never thought it was that spectacular or great as some think.
Ledger's Joker was awesome. Far better than Jack's imitation of Cesar Romero. Ledger's Joker is recognized as the #1 CBM villain. The only others that get anywhere near that level are Michael Shannon's Zod and (further behind) Tom Hiddleston's Loki.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 AM

1,242 posts, read 724,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
As for Brokeback Mountain, sorry KathrynAragon, but it was Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger and I think it's the best thing Heath Ledger did.
Ditto from me.

I also disagree with the OP's view of Heath Ledger in Dark Knight. I thought it was an amazing performance, hands down.

*Also will agree that opinions are personal, and what works for one may not work for another...

Old 01-14-2018, 09:53 AM

1,242 posts, read 724,087 times
Two actors I really don't care for based upon how they come across onscreen:

Nicholas Cage

(e.g., in The Wicker Man: "How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned??? How'd it get burned?!!!???" (actually, any scene in that godawful movie will show horrible Cage performances))

Keanu Reeves

Far too 'wooden' an actor for me. His lines tend to come across as lines. Not flowing speech, not emotional, just...lines.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:07 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I am shocked by this post. Shocked. I agree with all of the above, except the "Max Max was trash" part.

Where is MarkuS and what have you done with him?
Except for your DC fundamentalism and your insistence that Rush was a good band, you and I agree more often than not.

And yes, when it comes to live action movies, Ledger's Joker is still the greatest villain ever put to film. He made that movie a classic. As for other Ledger movies, I admit a great fondness for A KNIGHT'S TALE, which is one of best anachronisms ever made into a movie.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 1,307,786 times
Jennifer Aniston - Other than "Friends" which finished back in the day, I don't think she's done anything of any note (and even then she still more or less plays just another "Rachel" clone)

Yet still manages to find herself in the pubic eye, as well as being a guest "star" at big ceremonies.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Jennifer Aniston - Other than "Friends" which finished back in the day, I don't think she's done anything of any note (and even then she still more or less plays just another "Rachel" clone)
She was great in OFFICE SPACE and good in BRUCE ALMIGHTY. Other than that ... ?

Old 01-15-2018, 07:36 AM

54 posts, read 50,073 times
My favorite movie line: "You can't handle the truth." I thought Jack Nicholson was great in that movie.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,098,597 times
"You need me on that wall"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies