U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:13 AM

11,957 posts, read 6,470,603 times

Advertisements

What are some of your picks?

One that comes to mind is Heath Ledger as Joker (Dark Knight). I'm not saying it's a bad performance by any means, but I never thought it was that spectacular or great as some think.

I agree with some on this list, including Pacino and Begnini:

https://www.thecinemaholic.com/overr...ces-in-movies/

Another list:

The 10 Most Overrated Movie Performances of The 21st Century « Taste of Cinema - Movie Reviews and Classic Movie Lists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 05:19 AM

7,291 posts, read 8,043,509 times
How about Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook? What??? She won an Oscar for that? I mean, she was fine, but look at the performances she was up against....This was not even close to an Oscar winning performance.

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts - The Impossible

(edited to add - I posted this before I read your links.....guess someone else ALSO thinks the same way!!)

Old 01-06-2018, 12:28 PM

37,144 posts, read 28,385,253 times
Jennifer Lawrence is overrated period, I think.

Good topic by the way, so hmmmmmm, let me think:

OK, I think that everything about Titanic was overrated.

Brokeback Mountain - yawn. I can't even remember the actors' names or I'd list them.

Kate Beckinsale in Pearl Harbor. Wait - every role that Kate Bekinsale has ever played.

Mary McDonnell in Dances With Wolves - sorry, I know so many people love this movie but honestly, I was bored for most of it and her performance was a big part of my boredom.

Tom Cruise in Valkyrie - come on, he can't even pull off a German accent? Sheeze.

Oh there are so many more but that's a start.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:43 PM

4,894 posts, read 2,235,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
How about Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook? What??? She won an Oscar for that? I mean, she was fine, but look at the performances she was up against....This was not even close to an Oscar winning performance.

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts - The Impossible

(edited to add - I posted this before I read your links.....guess someone else ALSO thinks the same way!!)
Quvenzhane was robbed. But they weren't going to give the Oscar to a completely unknown child.

But the mere fact that she gave that amazing performace at the age of six years old ... mind boggling.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM

560 posts, read 679,684 times
Jack Nicholson in any performance he ever had. Nothing but outrageous mugging and way over the top leering and eyebrow arching. Seriously, how did this guy get so many oscar nominations? Must be the great parties he throws.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:46 PM

4,035 posts, read 1,538,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Jack Nicholson in any performance he ever had. Nothing but outrageous mugging and way over the top leering and eyebrow arching. Seriously, how did this guy get so many oscar nominations? Must be the great parties he throws.
Finally someone who agrees with me! I don’t understand how he has accumulated such acclaim. He’s just the most annoying ‘actor’ ever.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:47 PM

6,263 posts, read 4,049,429 times
Everything Leonardo Dicaprio does. Hate him.

Eddie Redmayne is crazy overrated as well.

Also, Meryl Streep in everything since like 2008. I find her overrated in Sophie's Choice as well.

I also hated Natalie Portman in both Black Swan and Jackie. And Kate Winslet in The Reader. And Shirley Maclaine and Jack Nicholson in Terms of Endearment.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:55 PM

30,012 posts, read 53,982,965 times
Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind. He looked the part, but his performance was so wooden. The guy couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:42 PM

756 posts, read 416,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Finally someone who agrees with me! I don’t understand how he has accumulated such acclaim. He’s just the most annoying ‘actor’ ever.
i agree with both of you.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 PM

1,632 posts, read 476,485 times
Kevin Kostner in anything. Tom Cruise in anything. Everybody in Philadelphia - no, wait, maybe it was just the worst movie, not the worst performances.

As for Brokeback Mountain, sorry KathrynAragon, but it was Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger and I think it's the best thing Heath Ledger did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies