Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
So, will Black Panther be the first African-American (Superhero) centered film to break $1 Billion at the box office? IMO, I'm thinking not, but will be pretty close. Unfortunately, I don't see black super-heros being all that popular with anyone outside of western society. Especially in the Asian market, which takes up a huge chunk of the international movie gross.

Regardless, I hope it does well enough to garner a sequel and move from a C-list character to an A-list character. Chadwick is a pretty good actor and I pray he plays the character well along with the supporting cast.
I've liked the Black Panther since he first kicked FF butt, and I was one of those who wrote a letter of objection to Stan Lee when they temporarily changed the name to "Black Leopard."

But being old, I'm also cynical. I'll be surprised if it does "blockbuster" well in the US, much less the rest of the world.

Pleasantly surprised, yes, but surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 10:54 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
"Black Leopard"? Why not "The Spotted Kitty"?

Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not sure what you mean by "modern day," but Blade (Marvel) had a successful trilogy relatively recently (early 2000s) and Spawn was also a really popular, successful film (late 90s). Those are just 2 I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others I'm missing. I find it kind of strange how much people seem to think and are harping on the fact that this is the first black superhero film. I'm hyped about it because Black Panther has been an awesome character in the MCU and I'm pumped he's getting his own film. I just don't understand all the race-related hype, especially given that there have been successful big screen black superhero films in the past.
  • Neither Blade Trilogy nor Spawn were big budget franchises. And yes, there were successful.
  • Black Panther is an awesome character, but it's about minority representation in mainstream media and giving them opportunity to headline

Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've liked the Black Panther since he first kicked FF butt, and I was one of those who wrote a letter of objection to Stan Lee when they temporarily changed the name to "Black Leopard."
Really? I didn't even know that. But thanks for being one of the ones who wrote in about that because if the name "Black Leopard" would have stuck, then that would have been a travesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But being old, I'm also cynical. I'll be surprised if it does "blockbuster" well in the US, much less the rest of the world.

Pleasantly surprised, yes, but surprised.
Well, I can tell you right now that it will do "blockbuster" well in the US.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not sure what you mean by "modern day," but Blade (Marvel) had a successful trilogy relatively recently (early 2000s) and Spawn was also a really popular, successful film (late 90s). Those are just 2 I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others I'm missing. I find it kind of strange how much people seem to think and are harping on the fact that this is the first black superhero film. I'm hyped about it because Black Panther has been an awesome character in the MCU and I'm pumped he's getting his own film. I just don't understand all the race-related hype, especially given that there have been successful big screen black superhero films in the past.
Well, what people are failing to see is that the Black Panther movie is being put in the arena of superhero movies that make hundreds of millions of dollars and sometime billions of dollars internationally. However, the other movies that you mentioned didn't even come close to that. Therefore, this is the 'first' black or people of color superhero movie to play in that arena.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:36 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post

Well, I can tell you right now that it will do "blockbuster" well in the US.
As I said, the surprise would be pleasant.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
If the movie is even half as good as the trailer, I think it will do very well indeed!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
The question is will a show about an African king in the MCU draw in Chinese like a blond Captain America or an Iron Man whose arch enemy had to be white washed away not to offend Mandarins. With a billion dollars as the cut off probably not, the blond God of Thunder was not making that cut off either.

Will Disney be impressed enough to allow the Black Panther to continue, maybe as part of the new big three after after Downey, Hemsworth, and Evans retire their roles, with new mutant and Fantastic Four toys becoming available? I think he does.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
So, will Black Panther be the first African-American (Superhero) centered film to break $1 Billion at the box office? IMO, I'm thinking not, but will be pretty close. Unfortunately, I don't see black super-heros being all that popular with anyone outside of western society. Especially in the Asian market, which takes up a huge chunk of the international movie gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The question is will a show about an African king in the MCU draw in Chinese like a blond Captain America or an Iron Man whose arch enemy had to be white washed away not to offend Mandarins. With a billion dollars as the cut off probably not, the blond God of Thunder was not making that cut off either.

Will Disney be impressed enough to allow the Black Panther to continue, maybe as part of the new big three after after Downey, Hemsworth, and Evans retire their roles, with new mutant and Fantastic Four toys becoming available? I think he does.
I think that a bigger question is: Even though the Chinese and Asian markets are important to the international movie gross, can a film(or film franchise) be successful without the support of those markets?

Well, I think that the answer to that question is here:

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Stumbles in China, Hits $1.2 Billion Worldwide

Why Chinese Audiences Skipped 'The Force Awakens'

Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

The Chinese market is not exactly what this is aimed at, nor does it matter all that much seeing as only a hand full of films can even be released there.

I dont even think Black Panther is going to be released in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies