Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 08:29 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You mean like Rachel Dolezal? How'd that eventually work out for her?
Too far off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Love the movie , but there is a giant plot hole, or rather plot omission

Spoiler
when Claw is in custody , the only reason T'Challa isn't able to return him to Wakanda for justice is because Killmonger himself kidnaps him. T'Challa discovers Killmonger's identity before he kills claw, so why doesn't he just tell everyone instead of keeping it to himself ? I don't even think it ever even comes up that Killmonger is the one who took claw.

This matters because it is the only reason the Border Tribe sides with him, or let's him in Wakanda in the first place .

Old 02-21-2018, 04:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillORdownhill View Post
"Unfortunately"

What an odd thing to say. I imagine the rest of the world would argue it is unfortunate that Americans have been brainwashed with ideological "equality" propaganda.
What...you mean things like the Constitution, Bill of Right, the Bible, etc? Your racism is showing. Please take it back over to the Politics forum. Let's not ruin this thread.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Spoiler
when Claw is in custody , the only reason T'Challa isn't able to return him to Wakanda for justice is because Killmonger himself kidnaps him. T'Challa discovers Killmonger's identity before he kills claw, so why doesn't he just tell everyone instead of keeping it to himself ? I don't even think it ever even comes up that Killmonger is the one who took claw.

This matters because it is the only reason the Border Tribe sides with him, or let's him in Wakanda in the first place .
T'Challa kept the secret because his father created the secret in the first place. T'Challa needed time to figure out what he would do. Would he follow what his father did or would he become his own man. He even tried to spare him during their first fight. Eventually, T'Challa can around somewhat to Killmonger's side.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Apparently the movie is a hit in Ghana, which is a good thing to see. Their only criticism seems to be poor accents by a number of the actors.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-black-panther

Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Spoiler

The other big plot hole (I don't know if that's the best word)- in one of the opening scenes, is the teenager with Sterling Brown supposed to be Forrest Whitaker? If so, the math doesn't add up at all. Since that was 1992, and the teen with Sterling Brown was 18 at best (probably more like 15), adding 26 years would put him in his early 40s (being generous with his age). Forrest Whitaker has to be close to his 60s (and he looks it too). Also, the age of the T'Chaka in present time (actor is 75), the actor who played him in in the 1992 flashback scene is only 33. That's a 42 year age difference. Adding 26 years would still make TChaka significantly younger than his present age actor.

Basically, to be more realistic, the actors playing those characters in the 1992 flashback scene should have been MUCH older, lol. I noticed that right off the bat (the age math doesn't add up), but I guess you can suspend belief, and they may have just really wanted to include those younger actors.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The other big plot hole (I don't know if that's the best word)- in one of the opening scenes, is the teenager with Sterling Brown supposed to be Forrest Whitaker? If so, the math doesn't add up at all. Since that was 1992, and the teen with Sterling Brown was 18 at best (probably more like 15), adding 26 years would put him in his early 40s (being generous with his age). Forrest Whitaker has to be close to his 60s (and he looks it too). Also, the age of the T'Chaka in present time (actor is 75), the actor who played him in in the 1992 flashback scene is only 33. That's a 42 year age difference. Basically, to be more realistic, the actors playing those characters in the 1992 flashback scene should have been MUCH older, lol. I noticed that right off the bat (the age math doesn't add up), but I guess you can suspend belief, and they may have just really wanted to include those younger actors.
The actor playing young Zuri, Denzal Whitaker who is not a relative of Forest Whitaker is 27. He also played Forest Whitaker's son in The Great Debaters. 18 is a bit young for a double agent.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The actor playing young Zuri, Denzal Whitaker who is not a relative of Forest Whitaker is 27. He also played Forest Whitaker's son in The Great Debaters. 18 is a bit young for a double agent.
Oh wow....I just googled him, and you are right, he is 27. He looks REALLY young. I honestly would have guessed him being around 16 (a teenager), lol. I guess he has some good genes. That would have made his character 53 in present day, which is close in age to Forest Whitaker (56), so that does make more sense. I still can't get over how young he looks, although Chedwick Boseman has those anti-aging genes too. He is 41 and can easily pass for his mid 20s.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:29 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Five day total of $263 million US domestic through Tuesday 2/21 which is reported to be the biggest Tuesday while schools are in regular session being only surpassed by Star Wars The Force Awakens in the early Christmas holiday period.
edit $200 million foreign with Japanese, Chinese and Russian openings still to come.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,657 times
Not a big super hero movie guy, but due to the crazy hype I decided to check it out. Thought it was a good entertaining movie. Might check out Infinity War as a result.

Superhero movies seem to be really popular right now. The genre has been around forever but I think the modern era began with the success of the X-Men movies earlier this century. Based on the hype I observe, as someone who admittedly doesn't follow the genre closely or read comics, it seems to be at its zenith currently with Black Panther and Infinity War.
I would imagine at some point genre fatigue will set in it will deflate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies