Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 01:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I am finding the level of conversation continuing after the movie fascinating. This was an interesting take.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-black-panther

Can you think of a time when a comic book movie engaged in this level of conversation about politics, identity and economic growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Based on the hype, I suspect that a flop is approaching. Could this be Marvel's "Green Lantern"?

In any escapist fantasy, there have to be conditions and characters that one wishes to experience, vicariously. Are they present in B.P.?
Domestic: $501mil after a $65mil third weekend.

Overseas: $396mil after a $56mil third weekend

At $897mil worldwide - and in China, where advanced ticket sales are mirroring that of Spiderman Homecoming - Black Panther is taking a shot at Iron Man 3 ($1.215billion).

Old 03-04-2018, 05:08 PM

10,454 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
What are you saying, the Wakandans were some pretty awful people. Shutting themselves away when they had the power to stop the colonization of Africa, and stop the slave trades. This was the wealthiest nation on earth, and they shut themselves away, allowing for billions of others to suffer. Is this the great Wakanda that you talk about? That place needed to burn for its sins. If Killmonger would have went on and destroyed Wakanda from the inside out, then good! He was actually going to spread the wealth of Wakanda to black people all over the world. If black people got rich due to Wakanda's downfall, awesome! That's my take concerning the message of this movie.
I would like to know how Wakanda is the most wealthiest country in the Marvel world when A- it doesn't trade or deal with other countries and B-it's main resource, vibranium, they keep under lock and key and do not sell it or share it's secrets. So, again, how is T'Challa the richest man in the world and how is Wakanda the richest country in the world with nothing to back it up? Or is it another gaping plot hole?

Old 03-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The other thing.

Killmonger stated that the reason he became...such a killmonger...was "to get here."

Well, actually he only needed to buy a plane ticket.

He had the proof that he was a Wakandan of royal blood. Even if his intention was to challenge T'Challa for the throne, he needed only to get a couple of black belts. Sure, okay, maybe do it the hard way and join the Navy or Marines and become a SEAL (if he's also got the genetics for it, 'cause hard work and determination aren't enough to become a SEAL).

But all the killing, all the CIA covert ops, all that stuff that made him Killmonger wasn't necessary to go to Wakanda. He did all that out of hatred and vengeance, not just of colonialism and not even of the Wakandan royal family, but of Wakanda itself.
What's funnier, even with Wakanda having spies and agents all around the world, it took the CIA agent to tell them who exactly is Kilmonger. I mean, with all of Wakanda's advanced technology, you mean to tell me they couldn't do a quick research on the guy to find out who he is?

Old 03-04-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
I saw it and thought it was a good movie for the genre. What I don't understand is the obsession with how much money it will make or the obsession with how much money any movie will make? How is that validating to anyone but the heads of studios making all the money. Star wars barely made a billion, etc. etc.
It's just bragging rights, and the promise that if a movie you like does well, it will get a sequel. And when a movie does this damn good, not only is a sequel greenlit, but the director and producers can pretty much ask for anything they want to now and not be blocked by budget restraints.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:33 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
What's funnier, even with Wakanda having spies and agents all around the world, it took the CIA agent to tell them who exactly is Kilmonger. I mean, with all of Wakanda's advanced technology, you mean to tell me they couldn't do a quick research on the guy to find out who he is?
I would think that spies look at the decision makers and economic/industrial bases of their targeted location. Not a deployed shooter, that is a policeman's job in the nations where Killmonger was operating.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:05 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am finding the level of conversation continuing after the movie fascinating. This was an interesting take.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-black-panther

Can you think of a time when a comic book movie engaged in this level of conversation about politics, identity and economic growth?
Sure can:

Wonder Woman movie {Merged Threads}

Old 03-04-2018, 06:12 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
That's because the CIA actually is effective in keeping secret the identities of their operatives, at least as long as they can keep it from American politicians. Wakanda may have been able to determine "The CIA did it," but learning the names of the actual CIA operatives involved is a a different puzzle that is usually irrelevant anyway.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:03 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
I would like to know how Wakanda is the most wealthiest country in the Marvel world when A- it doesn't trade or deal with other countries and B-it's main resource, vibranium, they keep under lock and key and do not sell it or share it's secrets. So, again, how is T'Challa the richest man in the world and how is Wakanda the richest country in the world with nothing to back it up? Or is it another gaping plot hole?
Yeah, it's somewhat of a plot hole, but I think they were trying to make the point that Wakanda is so advanced, that it is completely self-sustainable. Definitely a plot hole in that for world trade to occur, and for products to come into the country, it couldn't stay hidden the way it is. Again, I think the were trying to highlight the power of vibranium, its resources, and self-sustainability.

The Marvel Universe consists of alternate dimensions (Doctor Strange), and advance planets in space that know about Earth (Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy), so Wakanda isn't that big of a stretch in the grand scheme of the MCU.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:11 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, it's somewhat of a plot hole, but I think they were trying to make the point that Wakanda is so advanced, that it is completely self-sustainable. Definitely a plot hole in that for world trade to occur, and for products to come into the country, it couldn't stay hidden the way it is. Again, I think the were trying to highlight the power of vibranium, its resources, and self-sustainability.

The Marvel Universe consists of alternate dimensions (Doctor Strange), and advance planets in space that know about Earth (Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy), so Wakanda isn't that big of a stretch in the grand scheme of the MCU.
It would be an error to suppose that Black Panther provides any real answers to any real questions. But in it, Ryan Coogler does ask some real questions and make some real points.

He's bold enough to hold out the statement, "Immigrants will just bring their problems with them." Well...won't they? How do you handle that? He doesn't answer that question, but he realizes it is a question.

Unfortunately, to some extent Black Panther suffers from the "Archie Bunker Paradox of Satire."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies