Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 06:45 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hmmm. So are you saying that the 14 billion that Marvel has made is from people who don't have good taste?
Is everything so black-and-white with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Netflix concept is going to become more and more important, if used properly. However, it appears content creators may be taking the wrong lesson from it.

Doing their own streaming is the wrong lesson. Maybe Disney can pull it off, presuming they pull all their content off cable television as well as Netflix. CBS All-Access isn't going to make it that way, though.
Tell me about it. How many people did not subscribe to watch Star Trek: Discovery? Count me among them.

Disney is simply getting more and more greedy. They can pull it off because they're Disney. They're going to have a new movie out every two weeks before we know it.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Is everything so black-and-white with you?
Neener-neener-neener.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Tell me about it. How many people did not subscribe to watch Star Trek: Discovery? Count me among them.
Actually, Discovery tremendously boosted their subscription rate (I subscribed for Discovery--and at the no-commercial rate, too). But when the season run ended, there was also a tremendous drop-off of subscriptions, because that was the only subscription driver they had. CBS is basically a channel for old folks, and Discovery was the only outlier in that respect.

But again, they probably don't even recognize the lesson.

Quote:
Disney is simply getting more and more greedy. They can pull it off because they're Disney. They're going to have a new movie out every two weeks before we know it.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Wut?
I said the same thing.....

Old 03-12-2018, 06:32 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
You didn't answer your own question... the worldwide public did. Also, since when was the Black Panther a C-list character? I had always thought of the Black Panther as an A-list character when he debuted in CACW.
So you speak for over a billion of others on the planet? I am referring to his status in the comics, not on screen. I bet if you were to ask the majority of the movie going public who Black Panther was before his debut in CW, they would probably say the black political organization from the 60s.

I was referring to my OP at hand by saying I answered my own question. Stop trying to dig up an argument.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 03-12-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 07:52 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Black Panther was created, but so what so were hundreds of other characters. A-list would seem to mean that everybody would take them if possible like a consensus lottery pick basketball player in their draft. That Sony or FOX did not buy them when Marvel needed money is telling me that they were not highest priority and they did not expect a return on investment, thus not A-List.

Just because Superman and Nova had comic books don't make them both "A-List". Superman has been around since before WWII and Nova lasted a year in the late 70s. But it is possible that both can headline a movie in the near future. Since Marvel Studios had the Marvel Comics A list sold out from under them they made do with the Marvel Comics B-List where I am slotting Thor, iron-Man and Captain America.

However the overall quality of the franchise is showing the B and C list lead characters make more money than the A-List Batman and Superman. The real test will come when RDJ and the Chris's retire their roles. Would a rebooted Iron-Man still pull in the money at similar rates? Will they be temporarily retired as the C List Comic book characters movies are featured?

B character and B-List (celebrity) are two separate things. Spider-Man was a B Character in Captain America Civil War. Yet I would argue that Spider-Man is an A list celebrity while Captain America, not being bought when Marvel needed to deal his rights away is a B-list celebrity who was the protagonist (A character) of the film.
Totally agree with you. Most people would agree that Black Panther wasn't an "A- level" character, at least before this movie. 95% of people had never heard of Black Panther before Captain America Civil War. Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Wonder Woman are A level characters. I would even put Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man as a level below (maybe an A- or probably moreso in the B range). Although people nowadays rank everything as an "A." Not a lot of objectivity.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Well, I just read an article talking about how the Chinese audience thought that the movie was too Black....ah well, they made their money.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:11 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Well, I just read an article talking about how the Chinese audience thought that the movie was too Black....ah well, they made their money.
Yeah, I just read that, but I'll look for some other articles, too, as they come out.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Yeah, I just read that, but I'll look for some other articles, too, as they come out.
Geee, I just read this too. Kind of surprising given that it still did very well in China. One of the first media news clips to pop up. "A torture for the eyes" describing the film as being too black. I haven't actually dived into the article.

I wonder how this changes the validation that some people were seeming to want from how the film did in China? It did well $ wise, but then you here news like this. Although, it looks like this is only one article (and an article like this will make more headlines than the positive ones).

Again, I think the majority of people globally thought it was a very good moving both entertaining and culturally, so waiting for validation from every country around the world to love it isn't necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies