Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 10:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times

Advertisements

I re-watched it out. (it's out on torrent, itunes, dvd, etc.)

It just doesn't do it for me. The Korean scene was great, the final battle at the end was good until the domesticated rhinos came in.

Overall, just far too predicable and largely boring. I found myself skipping through scenes of dialogue because there was no point in watching it. The score of the movie is just absurd dring the combat man to man fighting scene as well as the CGI

Black Panther has no personality either. The only bright spot was Shuri (Letitia Wright) who acted circles around everyone else to bring personality to the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYzYji4rmE

For those who saw the movie,...something to laugh about

Old 05-17-2018, 03:47 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofgm View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyzyji4rme

for those who saw the movie,...something to laugh about
rotflmbao

Old 05-18-2018, 06:48 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
That was one of the reasons why my younger brother didn't like the movie because of blacks warring against other blacks(even though I pointed out to him that it was a civil war). But he just couldn't see(as in accept) it. Plus, he didn't like that Kilmonger got killed and thought that T'Challa should have won him over. Especially since they were family.

However, as far as an advanced civilization resorting to physical combat... In all fairness, I do have to say that with some advance civilizations featured in the Star Trek television series, sometimes that was the case. Just like Vulcans where they have the courtship/mating combat ritual.

Watched it last weekend. I was really expecting much more , it was good, the effects were good but I do agree with your younger brother , just more of the same. I can see that daily on the news. Except this group of people were much further advanced , so much that in fighting should have been a thing of the past.
The only stand out characters for me, was Killmonger , and Shuri. Even though KM was the "bad" guy I thought he was pretty cool. And Shuri just rocked with her personality.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Watched it last weekend. I was really expecting much more , it was good, the effects were good but I do agree with your younger brother , just more of the same. I can see that daily on the news. Except this group of people were much further advanced , so much that in fighting should have been a thing of the past.
The only stand out characters for me, was Killmonger , and Shuri. Even though KM was the "bad" guy I thought he was pretty cool. And Shuri just rocked with her personality.
An interesting difference in Black Panther is that the villain not only had a point, but the hero was eventually brought around to agree with his point (although not with his remedy).

Although Killmonger isn't the only Marvel villain with a valid point (Magneto, the Vulture, and Hela also did), but he was the only one to make the hero change his own point of view.

(Although, granted, Nakia had been making the same point all along.)

Old 05-20-2018, 11:59 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I finally watched it on DVD a couple of nights ago. I had avoided it at the theater for just one reason -- I thought it was gonna be just another super-hero action film...which to some us is redundant boring crapola.

Instead, I was impressed. First, for a while now I've thought that Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan are two of the best "new" actors out there (although I didn't find Jordan's performance here to be his best). Yes, there was action, but there was also more serious acting. There was a good story line with substance. It wasn't just good versus evil...it was (in part) about a character (Killmonger) who seemed evil...but had some noble intentions...and how he got to be the way he was. I could care about some of these characters, and that's not always true in superhero movies.

The one mistake I made was watching the extra on how the film was made. I wish I hadn't...because even though I know so much in Hollywood is now done in front of blue-screen, I don't want to think about that while I'm watching the film. It just makes it seem even more unreal to me. I like on-location filming, when possible.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Instead, I was impressed. First, for a while now I've thought that Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan are two of the best "new" actors out there (although I didn't find Jordan's performance here to be his best). Yes, there was action, but there was also more serious acting. There was a good story line with substance. It wasn't just good versus evil...it was (in part) about a character (Killmonger) who seemed evil...but had some noble intentions...and how he got to be the way he was. I could care about some of these characters, and that's not always true in superhero movies.
Another difference here from most such movies is the protagonist realizing he has been wrong and needs to make a course correction. And although Nakia had been advising that all along, it's not clear that her "working within the system" would have ever been effective.

The tragedy was that Killmonger had gone too far along his own deadly path to make a course correction himself.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:56 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, for a while now I've thought that Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan are two of the best "new" actors out there (although I didn't find Jordan's performance here to be his best).
Jordan did fine with the material. Boseman was too one-note. The entire cast acted circles around him.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Jordan did fine with the material. Boseman was too one-note. The entire cast acted circles around him.
T'Challa had no quips. Everyone around him had quips, and he had not a single rejoinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYzYji4rmE

Old 05-20-2018, 01:26 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
T'Challa had no quips.
Trust me, that's a plus. After Stark, Quill and Lang, it's time to move away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies